PDA

View Full Version : Adding 3rd Computer using Linux box as router

Amadeus
12-14-2002, 05:32 PM
Currently, I have two computers (WinXP and Linux) using a router and paying for 2 IP addresses from my ISP (I need it that way). However, what I would like to do is add a third computer and use the Linux computer as a router (ie, using iptables IP Masquerading, etc...) and thereby sharing that IP address/internet connection.

Can someone verify that this will allow me to run EQ on the masqueraded box while still running ShowEQ on the linux box to sniff my other computer that is on a seperate IP address (as it is doing now)?

ie:

NETWORK
.......|.......
.....HUB....
..../.........\
WinXP1....Linux
..................\
...............WinXP2

I want to be able to run EQ on both WinXP boxes, but run ShowEQ on the Linux box to sniff WinXP1 (which it currently doing at this point). I don't necessarily care about being able to sniff packets on WinXP2.

(EDIT: Replaced 'router' with 'hub')

Cryonic
12-14-2002, 05:35 PM
Just a nitpick, but if you are sniffing what you call a router, then it isn't really a router, but a hub.

If the configuration you have now is working, and all you are wanting to do is add a second NIC to the linux box and put the third computer (or more) hooked onto that then yes, it should conitnue to work. You would be best off moving BOTH WinXP machines behind the linux box and use iptables to do NAT/port-forwarding to secure those machines.

Amadeus
12-14-2002, 05:40 PM
Unfortunately, I need both of my main computers (WinXP1 and Linux) to have seperate IP addresses. I was under the impression for that to occur, they would need to directly connected to the internet via a hub as they are now.

And yes, wrong terminology ...hub, not router :)

Mr. Suspicious
12-14-2002, 07:43 PM
Yes, setup exactly as you drawed it and it should work as you want it to.

MisterSpock
12-14-2002, 07:55 PM
You should be able to accomplish what you want to do. Your existing eth0 device on the linux box will remain unchanged in this operation.

SEQ can determine which device to use for sniffing, so just point it to the NIC you want to use and away you go! You could even play EQ on both WinXP machines and run two instances of SEQ on your Linux box. Just have one look for packets on eth0, the other on eth1...

Cryonic
12-14-2002, 11:20 PM
Yes, to have both the XP1 and linux machine to get two IPs that are visible to the Net you need them directly connected. I'm just wondering why you are exposing the Windows box that way when you could use the linux box as a gateway/firewall and protect your Windows machines.