PDA

View Full Version : FreeBSD users ?

mesabo
12-20-2002, 07:23 AM
Hey All-

Have been running Redhat for a while now (6.xx and 7.xx).. I am having to learn FreeBSD for a project at work and am going to have it on a box here at home. I would like to throw SEQ on there when I get a chance, was just wondering if anyone else had installed it with FreeBSD and how your experience was or if you had any tips for me.

Cheers.
-

Cryonic
12-20-2002, 09:32 AM
search for BSD on these forums. I haven't seen anything recently, so don't know if you still need to patch the src tree or not to get it to compile/run on BSD.

gooober
12-26-2002, 08:44 AM
I am a real FreeBSD nutt and have been using it for about 4 years now.

I am not using their most recent distribution however. They are up to 4.7 and I am using 4.6.

The most daunting pre-requisite that is listed in the installation instructions is that glibc must be version 2.3.x or greater while my glibc is version 2.1.x (or close to that).

I searched through the documentation on glibc and read a bit of the FAQ in that directory. It says that updating your glibc is somewhat of a great undertaking.

Until I can get my XP box to let me log in using FTP and I can then use "Ghost for Unix" to completely back my system up, I am at a stand-still. :|

I do want to put together a much better system for myself this year. Build my first computer from scratch with dual processors, all scsi, the whole nine yards.

Let me know if you made any progress with FreeBSD getting this running.

In fact, anything that you want to throw my way that is FreeBSD related feel free to message me!

I really enjoy a challenge and like to share what bit I know here and there as it helps me to learn and remember what I have learned.

Regards,

gooober

Originally posted by mesabo
Hey All-

Have been running Redhat for a while now (6.xx and 7.xx).. I am having to learn FreeBSD for a project at work and am going to have it on a box here at home. I would like to throw SEQ on there when I get a chance, was just wondering if anyone else had installed it with FreeBSD and how your experience was or if you had any tips for me.

Cheers.
-

Gleep
12-31-2002, 11:42 AM
Working under FBSD 4.7-Release

Minor Issues:

Bus Errors (Core Dump)
Seg Faults (Core Dump)
Slow Updates (every 15 sec or so)

Trying to isolate the causes, but it does compile, and it does work.

gooober
12-31-2002, 12:27 PM
Wow,

That's pretty interesting that you got it to work under 4.7.

Does 4.7 come with the correct version of glibc?

Did you have to do much extra other than what the instructions said?

Mark

Gleep
01-03-2003, 08:58 AM
Not really, Had a couple of compile problems, but a few quick searches thru the HelpDesk here provided me with the information I needed to get it to work.

It's still Core Dumping alot, giving me Bus Errors and Seg Faults, within most zones, but it's easy to restart and load the map for the zone I'm in.

I don't decode, just use it for GPS and show the Unknowns Spawns. I already know what 99% of the mobs are in the zones where I use SEQ, I just want to know where they are to make pulling easier.

Pooly
01-10-2003, 07:25 PM
I used to use ShowEQ under FreeBSD, but then it started taking too much work to get it to compile, so I switched to SINS instead, which required much less work. Unfortunately SINS hasn't been keeping up with the latest encryption changes.

Anyways, someone mentioned that under FreeBSD, updates were only coming every 15 seconds. There's a fix in SINS for this, in SINS' packet.cpp in the PacketCaptureThread constructor. I didn't come up with this fix; I'm just passing it on.

#ifdef __FreeBSD__
// if we're on FreeBSD, we need to call ioctl on the file descriptor
// with BIOCIMMEDIATE to get the kernel Berkeley Packet Filter device
// to return packets to us immediately, rather than holding them in
// it's internal buffer... if we don't do this, we end up getting 32K
// worth of packets all at once, at long intervals -- if someone
// knows a less hacky way of doing this, I'd love to hear about it.
// the problem here is that libpcap doesn't expose an API to do this
// in any way
int fd = *((int*)m_pcache_pcap);
int temp = 1;
if ( ioctl( fd, BIOCIMMEDIATE, &temp ) < 0 )
fprintf( stderr, "PCAP couldn't set immediate mode on BSD\n" );
#endif

fippy
01-10-2003, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by Gleep
It's still Core Dumping alot, giving me Bus Errors and Seg Faults, within most zones, but it's easy to restart and load the map for the zone I'm in.

maybe using the debugger gdb will help you figure out whats causing errors.
i also had lotsa seg faults at first, showeq was core dumping everytime i zone when it calls gdbm.
after i compiled with db3 showeq is working very stabily under freebsd4.7 now.
hope that helps.
sorry for my writing, english isnt my native language.

Pooly
01-18-2003, 05:22 AM
Well I tried to get SINS working again using the packet structure changes from ShowEQ, but it was just too much. So I worked on getting ShowEQ to run on FreeBSD.

Would the other FreeBSD users out there care to try this out and let me know how it works?

Since the boards only allow 1 attachment per message, I'm pasting the Readme file inline.

README.FreeBSD:
===============
This installation was done using:
FreeBSD 4.7-RC Mon Sep 30 20:06:40 PDT 2002,
ports tree cvsupped the night of Jan 17 2003
on a system with KDE 3 already installed. The end result was a functional GPS version of ShowEQ which didn't crash in the 10 minutes or so that I tested it in East Commons. Sorry I didn't test spawn decoding (no functional key grabber yet).

Install the following ports (in this order*):

devel/libtool
devel/autoconf
devel/automake
devel/gmake
databases/db3
databases/gdmb
lang/gcc30

*:libtool/autoconf/automake/gmake may install one of the others first due to a dependency. Just let it do its thing.

Then

cd /usr/ports/x11-toolkits/qt30
make clean
env NO_PKG_REGISTER=1 {WITHOUT_OPENGL=1} CXX=g++30 CC=gcc30 PREFIX=/usr/local/qt3-gcc3 \
make install && make clean

ln -s /usr/include/inttypes.h /usr/local/include/stdint.h
cd /path/to/showeq/../
patch < /path/to/patch/showeq-freebsd20030118.diff
mv fakelrint.c showeq/src
cd showeq
gmake -f Makefile.dist no-backup
env CXX=g++30 CC=gcc30 CPPFLAGS="-D_THREAD_SAFE -pthread" \
LDFLAGS="-pthread -lgnugetopt" ./configure \
--with-db3-includes=/usr/local/include/db3 --with-qt-dir=/usr/local/qt3-gcc3
gmake
gmake install

Note the optional {WITHOUT_OPENGL=1}. If Qt starts building Mesa (due to a glut dependency), Ctrl-C it, make clean, and build again with the option.
When you run showeq, you'll need to specify your ethernet interface on the
command line or it will crash. e.g.
showeq -i ed0

Pooly
01-18-2003, 05:39 AM
edit: combined this note with the previous post.