PDA

View Full Version : The changes on test...

mvern
12-21-2002, 02:18 AM
Some pretty major changes on test. Posting this mostly to help cut down on duplicated work. I havent worked through too much of it yet, but heres what I do know so far. Most all data is zlib compressed now, which is a nice bandwidth saver. The compression is basicly implimented so that multiple packets can be rolled together into a single compression block before being sent.

New opcode: 0x7642 - compressed data packet. Seems to have a 3-5 byte header then the zlib compressed data. If the 3rd byte is 0xff, its a 5 byte header, otherwise 3, it seems. Unsure of what the other stuff indicates so far. In the decompressed data, you've got 1 or more packets strung together, havent worked out exactly how this works, but you do still have the opcode and data for each packet.

Aside from all that, there appear to be some data structure changes, mostly in the form of 16 bit values being changed to 32 bits instead.

In short, lots of work to do ;)

Jel321
01-03-2003, 08:50 AM
Just curious if any progress has been made? :)

just anf fyi: The patch that is on test is pretty messed still at this point so there is probably still some decent time before this goes live. (people losing chars, chars getting swapped around, aa's being messed up and zones crashing nightly.

KaL
01-03-2003, 11:02 AM
Drat... I was hoping to get the windowing stuff in soon.

Cryonic
01-03-2003, 11:11 AM
Just run EQW and don't bother waiting for SOE to get it done.

KaL
01-07-2003, 05:02 PM
I want to be able to alt-enter, specifically. I prefer to play fullscreen, but want the ability to leave it.

Yes, I know you can *almost* get the fullscreen effect by having your desktop and EQ the same size, but I don't want *almost*.

Maybe getting rid of all the silly process restrictions will make EQ a bit more stable (fat chance).

cbreaker
01-09-2003, 09:38 AM
This is going live today. Has any progress been made to sort out the new compression and packet sizes?

Spaz
01-09-2003, 10:26 AM
I dont know that it will go live -- there's still a few serious issues with it, and they did not mention it in the patch message.

Believe me when I say it will make a *huuuuge* improvement to modem users on raids. Night and freaking day.
I think they'll make noise about it when it's in place..

Could be wrong though, been known to happen.
;)

throx
01-09-2003, 10:35 AM
The new buff boxes and the like are in today's patch. It would make sense that all the packet compression changes are as well. I can't imagine them rolling out one change that affects the protocol without rolling out the others. Of course we'll know for sure in a few hours.

mvern
01-09-2003, 05:02 PM
Posted a patch here (https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=665369&group_id=10131&atid=310131) to restore SEQ to a mostly working state. I didnt get a chance to finish cleaning it up, and some of the structs are still off, but most everything is atleast working.

hulkster99
01-09-2003, 05:40 PM
sigh i know i should use search for my answer,but here goes can someone post how to apply this patch and what all is needed to do.

TIA

hulk

mvern
01-09-2003, 05:44 PM
cd into showeq/src and run 'patch < /path/to/test.diff'

hulkster99
01-09-2003, 05:52 PM
its recompiling but i had several errors while it was patching
but heh long as i get a map with me on it thats all i want thanks for the quick patch.

hai_hai
01-09-2003, 05:56 PM
I downloaded test.diff to my /showeq/src dir and typed "patch test.diff"

It just sits there doing nothing till I CTRL+C

/boggle

hulkster99
01-09-2003, 05:59 PM
hmmm applied the patch and several fails at applying the new code compiled anyway decode works sorta i get the map get stuff on the map but all wrong and my avatar is running up and down on outside of the map.

Rhonwyn
01-09-2003, 06:14 PM
I applied the patch and recompiled with no errors. It works fine now, at least initially. I'll be sure to report any bugs I find.

This is why I love opensource. You get a patch in hours, not days/weeks/months.

hulkster99
01-09-2003, 06:17 PM
stupid me heh didnt have newest version of showeq downloaded it patched worked fine now compiling sigh ive gotta upgrade my qt stuff still using ver 2.3 ill post a update as to how the patch goes.

Spook
01-09-2003, 06:18 PM
Thanks, mvern!

Patch worked fine, it all compiled with no errors on my RH8 distrib. I have yet to run into any issues but will be watchfull for some of that missing data you described.

Virusmaster
01-09-2003, 07:15 PM
Nice. Patch works well. Thanks bunches, and since almost no one will figure this out tonight, I'll get busy in an otherwise non-seq equiped world! I feel like a GOD!

ok, calming down now and getting more coffee... long day at work ya know :)

Sneaky
01-09-2003, 07:18 PM
OK I am just a little confused. I DLed the patch to /root/showeq/src but then the command to patch is patch test.diff? It just sits there. I updated to the newest CVS just about an hour before....what am I missing?

ImNotDeadYet
01-09-2003, 07:21 PM
patch < test.diff

INDY

Sneaky
01-09-2003, 07:28 PM
OK I did that, is there another step? it still is really hosed...

ImNotDeadYet
01-09-2003, 07:31 PM
you need to rebuild

make -f Makefile.dist
./configure
make
make install

not sure if you actually have to do ALL of this, but it can't hurt

INDY

Sneaky
01-09-2003, 07:32 PM
I did...should have thought about that....duh...seems to be working so far

don'tdoit
01-09-2003, 07:41 PM
INDY,

I'm still in the `make` stage, but was wondering something: i was already in the process of running my stuff when i saw your post; i ran a `make distclean` before everything else. Is this necessary to run before each time i do an update, whether from a cvs update or a patch?

Sneaky
01-09-2003, 07:49 PM
bah....I got errors on make....and it doesn;t work properly. I will wait for the cvs update....going to upgrade to 8.0 anyway...

ImNotDeadYet
01-09-2003, 07:50 PM
Don't think the 'make clean' is necessary, I don't usually do it myself, every once in a while I will though. Again, it won't hurt anything, as fara as I know.

INDY

hai_hai
01-09-2003, 09:04 PM
Thank you for the fast fix !

I just downloaded the file to /showeq/src dir and typed

patch decode.cpp test.diff

Did a make clean

recompiled and all was fine, worked like a champ.

THANKS!!!

Necro23
01-09-2003, 09:09 PM
After horking my source tree (don't ask), I CVS-updated the
files changed by the patch, re-applied the patch (went in nice
and clean mvern), did a 'make clean', 'make -f Makefile.dist',
'configure', and 'make'

Compiled without a hitch.

Did a 'make install' and fired up da puppy. Cranked
in the new offset and wango-fandango, all was normal
in my SEQ world once again.

Bravo, mvern. Extremely well done.

Necro23

cbreaker
01-09-2003, 09:37 PM
Yea works fine here. Not sure what's not working, everything I have seen works just fine and dandy.

throx
01-09-2003, 09:55 PM
Not only that, but I gotta give Sony kudos on the new protocol. 60 person raid and under 2k/sec bandwidth. Very, very nice.

Hobo
01-09-2003, 10:32 PM
Well I DL'd the patch. Applied it by chaging to my /seq/showeq/src directory and typing patch < test.diff. It seemed likte it patched ok. Recompiled and all looked good. But when I logged on to EQ it looked just like it did before I patched it. I.E. - Messed up, no maps, pink squares of unidentified pc's everywhere, etc, etc. Any ideas where I went wrong?

Hobo

don'tdoit
01-09-2003, 10:43 PM
are you sure you "make install"?

Hobo
01-09-2003, 10:51 PM
Yup, did a Make Install also.

Maybe this will help shed some light for me...

I downloaded to /seq/showeq/src

I then patched by going into this same directory (/seq/showeq/src) and typing "patch < test.diff"

It seemed to patch. But when I go to do the make -f makefile.dist command I get eror saying no such file exists in the directory /seq/showeq/src. So I did the same thing I always do on an update I went to my /seq/showeq directory and did the make -f makefile.dist command there, as well as the ./configure, make, and make install (recomiling process). Amd I supposed to be recompiling from the /seq/showeq/src directory instead of the /seq/showeq directory?

Hobo

fryfrog
01-10-2003, 07:27 AM
worked fine for me...

cd /root/showeq
cvs -z3 update
lynx "url to patch"
cd src
patch < ../test.diff
make -f Makefile.dist
CC=gcc-3.2 CXX=g++-3.2 QTDIR=/usr/qt/3.1.1-gcc3 ./configure
make && make install

worked just fine when i logged in for about 10min.

Knighttime
01-10-2003, 04:22 PM
Hey,

When I download the test.diff to the /lib/seq/linux/src folder then run the patch < test.diff I get alot of hunk failures, then a message asking for logger.cpp to patch...

any thoughts?

I deleted the /lib/seq folder, then did a full CVS update (download) again. THen tried it again.. still not working.. any thoughts?

Thanks.

Cryonic
01-10-2003, 04:42 PM
Yeah, don't patch the already patched version from CVS, duh. Read the announcements forum....

don'tdoit
01-10-2003, 08:39 PM
Sorry if i'm missing this somewhere, but I noticed a bug left after patching/recompiling. The spell tracker no longer tracks spells. For each spell cast i get a blank spell name with target of N/A. All other functions seem to be working so far.

FYI

Dedpoet
01-11-2003, 02:03 AM
Sorry if i'm missing this somewhere, but I noticed a bug left after patching/recompiling. The spell tracker no longer tracks spells. For each spell cast i get a blank spell name with target of N/A. All other functions seem to be working so far.

http://seq.sourceforge.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2732

fabriceSEQ
01-11-2003, 08:49 AM
Hello !

First thks Mvern and Eggman for your quick
and helpfull post !
all work great now and just like before )
i wanted to post here because i had somes
problems to make it work ...
and just explain what i ve done.
i was working with redhat 7.3 and qt-2.3.2 ,
i apply the patch and didn't work at all.
it seems that the patch dont work with the new Seq and qt-2.3.2 !

so i did the following :

downloaded the qt-x11-free-3.0.5
see the great post here :http://seq.sourceforge.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2690
just follow the instruction from Eggman and QT-3.0.5 will be install !
Nota : this process take a several time .... hours for me.

i downloaded the last version Seq, this one seem
to work only with qt-3.0.5 or high ...
just make simply all what Eggman have post ...
don t forget any line ... all are importante.

i apply the patch from Mvern ( thks for a so quick patch ).

recompile the new downloaded Seq.

i ajust the new offset 0x007acc38 ( Thks Speedphreak )

and all working great and just like before.