PDA

View Full Version : Segmentation Fault on startup

DarkBub
12-25-2002, 02:26 AM
After struggling with RedHat 7.3 to get the right qt (2.3.2) and gcc (3.2) installed, I finally got showeq to compile without any trouble. Now when I load showeq (with and without the command line parameters), I get the standard 10 startup lines, fillowed by Segmentation fault.

I have the newest CVS version, the newest libEQ.a. I have read every post about Segmentation Faults, I've cleared out the showeq directory, re-downloaded from CVS... Everything I can think of...

Here's the traceback:

#0 0x401d25cd in QGridLayout::sizeHint() const () from /opt/qt-gcc3-2.3.2/lib/libqt-mt.so.2
#1 0x08106e4c in ExperienceWindow (this=0x828f5c8, player=0xbfffd7c0, groupMgr=0xbfffd7c0, parent=0x0, name=0x0) at /opt/qt-gcc3-2.3.2/include/qwidget.h:367
#2 0x080a6cf5 in EQInterface (this=0xbfffef10, parent=0x0, name=0x816c76c "interface") at interface.cpp:190
#3 0x080623fd in main (argc=2, argv=0xbffff9f4) at main.cpp:937
#4 0x406054ce in __libc_start_main () from /lib/libc.so.6

I found this traceback in another forum, and the suggestion was to make sure that gcc3 and g++3 were used. I did this as well.

Any suggestions people might have would be appreciated.

Cryonic
12-25-2002, 09:04 AM
/opt/qt-gcc3-2.3.2/lib/libqt-mt.so.2
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Did you by any chance use the rpms that someone here created to get QT 2.3.2?

If so, they weren't built with GCC 3.2 and there are compatibility issues with the 3.x series. You would be better off getting QT and compiling it yourself on your system with whatever gcc 3.x compiler you have.

DarkBub
12-25-2002, 01:24 PM
I actually tried that before I got Zaphod's rpms... When I compiled it, everything seemed fine. Then showeq qouldn't recognize the libraries directory that it made, and would not compile.

It's possible, I guess that qt didn't compile with the right gcc... However, the only gcc and g++ I have on the system are both 3.2... How do I force it to compile with those, if it's finding something else?

Cryonic
12-25-2002, 03:11 PM
The rpm's that you are installing were NOT compiled with GCC 3.2. Unless there is a src.rpm you will NOT be able to compile the rpm with GCC 3.2.

Follow the INSTALL.newbies guide that came with the SEQ source.

DarkBub
12-25-2002, 03:17 PM
As I stated before, using the RPMs from Zaphod's site was my _LAST_ attempt, not my first. I've installed qt from RPM, I've removed the RPMs, compiled the source of 2.3.2, as provided by the developer. Each time, I got a different compile or config error from showeq.

I'm running Redhat 7.3, which comes with GCC 2.96, not 3.x... So I had to get 3 working first. 3.2-7 is what I was able to get installed. That's what I compiled Qt under. And when I did, showeq couldn't find the libraries, even though the QTDIR was pointing in the right place, I had the library directory in the library path, and everything.

At this point, _ALL_ I'm asking is: Is there some way that you have to FORCE qt to compile with gcc3, if gcc3 is the only gcc you have? Because that's the only thing I can think of that would keep showeq from recognizing the library files that it kept looking directly at.

Cryonic
12-25-2002, 03:46 PM
export QTDIR=/usr/lib/qt-2.3.2
export PATH=$QTDIR/bin:$PATH
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$QTDIR/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

are the commands I have to issue to get the configure script to find the right directories that are holding qt-2.3.2. I take it you removed gcc 2.96? You really shouldn't as that is what you should have to compile any other programs (that aren't needed for SEQ).

DarkBub
12-25-2002, 03:49 PM
I did all that, every time I've done qt from the source.

And I couldn't get 3.2-7 to install without removing 2.96 (probably what I get for using rpms)... I figure this weekend I'm gonna have to go to 8.0. All I use the machine for is my internet gateway, and, if my luck ever returns to me, showeq.

I've recompiled qt again, and hopefully, this time showeq won't barf in my general direction. :)

DarkBub
12-25-2002, 04:26 PM
Yay... it compiled... Wow, been a long time since I've used ShowEQ... Lookin' nice. :)

Let's see how well it works.