PDA

View Full Version : Help! ShowEQ won't work!

Epoch18
12-28-2002, 04:12 PM
Hey, I'm new here, but this is my problem...

I have SEQ installed and running great (though I haven't used it in like 4 months, so I might not even know how to use it anymore, cause I have no idea what you guys mean when you talk about 'sniffers' and 'keys' and whatever). But anyway, I have a little home network behind a router. I have one line coming from the router and going to my room, which there connects to an un-managed hub. Then I have my WinXP machine and Linux machine plugged into that. I was told by a friend of mine that that little setup should work. However, I can't get SEQ to monitor my EQ client IP from the WinXP machine.

Yes all the connections are good, and yes both computers can get on the internet and have a good IP from my router. Am I missing something or is everything just jacked up cause of the whole sniffer and key things now?

high_jeeves
12-28-2002, 05:20 PM
If its 4 months old, it wont work, regardless of your network setup.

--Jeeves

Epoch18
12-28-2002, 06:10 PM
Alrighty then... how about givin me some clues on how to update it maybe???

monster69
12-28-2002, 06:30 PM
Sure.

Clue #1 --- SEARCH
Clue #2 --- See Clue #1

Monster

baelang
12-28-2002, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by Epoch18

same way as you installed it the first time round. except you can skip the prerequisites part this time, as i assume you haven't removed anything.

oh, and read the announcements forum.

Mr. Suspicious
12-28-2002, 07:39 PM

Have you tried... silly idea, I know... tried reading the documentation that comes with ShowEQ?

Epoch18
12-28-2002, 08:21 PM
I tried updating it with the CVS command, but it says that I have no CVSROOT specified.

OBVIOUSLY I'm not a Linux user, so save the sarcasm please and just lend me a hand. Thank you...

Epoch18
12-28-2002, 08:24 PM
Oh, and I have no idea how I installed it last time. I was following step-by-step instructions that my friend gave me.

high_jeeves
12-28-2002, 09:03 PM
Perhaps by trying the same step-by-step instructions?

--Jeeves

Epoch18
12-28-2002, 09:09 PM
What the hell??? Are you people for real? Why do you keep smearing sarcasm and shit all over this post instead os just helping me. I mean, if you don't want to, just say "You're too stupid for us to help you, now leave and never some back."

I mean damn, this is supposed to be "HELP" forum.... not a "let's make this guy look like an idiot" forum......

Guinney
12-28-2002, 11:13 PM
I guess you missed this post on the entry page of the SEQ forum.

Read this before asking any questions. Then use use this. After you have read and used both options, then and ONLY then should you ask your question. If your question is answered in either of those two locations, EXPECT TO BE FLAMED for being too stupid to read. You have been warned.

How to update SeQ is covered in the faq section it will give you a step by step of what you need to do..

I have never seen a post flamed unless the poster didnt rtm or search first for a releveant thread.

mesabo
12-28-2002, 11:40 PM
What the hell??? Are you people for real? Why do you keep smearing sarcasm and shit all over this post instead os just helping me. I mean, if you don't want to, just say "You're too stupid for us to help you, now leave and never some back."

I mean damn, this is supposed to be "HELP" forum.... not a "let's make this guy look like an idiot" forum......

You have a shitty attitude for someone who wants help..

If you can't figure it out from parsing the forums and the FAQ, maybe you don't deserve to run SEQ.

-

Epoch18
12-28-2002, 11:48 PM
Shitty attitude??? I'M not the one who's kickin my ass with sarcasm. Am I supposed to just sit here and waste hours of time for you bastards to say stuff like "that's a shitty attitude" and maybe EVENTUALLY get you to say something that might help me?How fucking hard is it to copy and paste a goddamn link into a reply thread and say "Here, check this out, it might help you."

You people are assholes.....

And don't even bother replying, cause I'm not coming back. I'll just play the game the way it was meant to be played. It's not like I need ShowEQ to make the game fun. I just liked having a real time map of where I was.

Later.... Happy Fucking New Year.......

mesabo
12-29-2002, 12:07 AM
Shitty attitude??? I'M not the one who's kickin my ass with sarcasm. Am I supposed to just sit here and waste hours of time for you bastards to say stuff like "that's a shitty attitude" and maybe EVENTUALLY get you to say something that might help me?How fucking hard is it to copy and paste a goddamn link into a reply thread and say "Here, check this out, it might help you."

And don't even bother replying, cause I'm not coming back. I'll just play the game the way it was meant to be played. It's not like I need ShowEQ to make the game fun. I just liked having a real time map of where I was.

SEQ wasnt made for people like you.
It was made for people with some bit of intelligence.
For people who can figure it out by reading the instructions provided.
Not for half-wits who can't even figure out to read a damn FAQ.

Good riddance !
-

SeqTester
12-29-2002, 01:06 AM
I still waiting for the "My ShowEQ box I got on Playerauctions.com is broke, how do I fix?" posts.

Poncho
12-29-2002, 01:42 AM
ROFL SeqTester - that was too funny, I think we've seen a few of those already, just in different words....

Seriously though, EVERYTHING you need to know about making SEQ work is right here in these forums. If someone doesnt have the patience to sift through them and LEARN, they dont need to use SEQ in the first place. It is really quite simple...FOLLOW DIRECTIONS. If help is needed, it's all there - LEARN HOW TO ASK and dont expect anyone here to talk to you like a baby to teach you how.

--Poncho

monster69
12-29-2002, 11:24 AM
My favorite part ---

No dumbass. We obviously are supposed to waste hours of our time REPEATING things that have already been laid out in very easy instructions. As to a link, you were told right up front to SEARCH. You were then told to read the FAQ and the docs that come with SEQ.

Don't expect anyone here to waste time on you when you won't even try to help yourself first. It's not our job.

Monster

baelang
12-29-2002, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by monster69
Don't expect anyone here to waste time on you when you won't even try to help yourself first. It's not our job.

for some reason people expect us to jump up and help them as if we were getting paid to do it. notice how many get mad and say something like, "fine! i'm a not gonna use a SEQ no more!" as if we are somehow hurt by loosing a customer?

we are not getting paid. we do it for fun. we do it to help other people help themselves.

that means we get to respond any way we like with no fear of being fired. chances are if you do as told in the first responce you will find your answer. we do not depend on customers in any way for money or for continuation of SEQ. (well, we need people that CAN help themselves to continue development indefinately, but we don't really need the general idiot.) show some evidence that you attempted to search and you may be helped further. god helps those that help themselves. we all like to play god, so we will help you if you show that you have at least attempted to help yourself.

keymaker
12-30-2002, 01:24 AM
Question is, is he/she really coming back and reading all these great replies, if he/she isn't its such a waste, but keep them coming I need a laugh... LOL

All I can see is that he/she isn't even trying and like someone else already said, not even bothering to look for him or herself.

grimjack
12-30-2002, 05:30 AM
No matter how many times I see these posts It never ceases to amaze me.

"I'm didn't come here to be told to search... I expect you to search for me and link me the answers..."

I guess his time is more valuable than everybody else.

keymaker
12-30-2002, 09:41 AM
Oh, so that means his SH*T doesn't stink but ours does LOL, well I'll hand him a sign LOL well all know what that means.

<Your skills at reading and thinking of decreased by 5>

Oooops silly me, he doesn't have any of those skills, guess that means he's lower than his own SH*T LOL

RavenCT
12-30-2002, 07:23 PM
I'm going to quote something that I posted back in August. I think this sums up mostly how I feel about this whole "It's broke, come to my house and hold my hand and help me"...

http://seq.sourceforge.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1771
Now, Epoch18, if your still reading these, take this advice to heart. There are a lot of people out there who are more than willing to help, just remember, we help those who help themselves too!

Originally posted by RavenCT
Since people are sick of the other thread with the Linksys router in them I thought I'd post my ideas/thoughts in a separate thread...

I agree for the most part with those out there who say "RTFM"! I for one don't consider myself a UNIX expert in the least, but I am a MCSE and have worked in the field for 10 years specializing in NT (and now 2000) networks as well as Novell and some UNIX/ZENIX. Did I find setting up SEQ the first time easy? Hell no! There are lots of pit falls, most of which are getting UNIX setup correctly FIRST. From there I had lots of fun for about three days getting SEQ running.

Did I ask questions here? Yes I did, but I made sure that I tried everything that I could think of before I did. I also searched the web for my answers before I bothered anyone here.

There are a lot of people out there who don't realize or think about the fact that all the support here and all the questions that people answer are purely gratis (free) of charge of any kind. For that matter, the product is completely free including the ongoing development.

PEOPLE NEED TO REALIZE THAT THE ONLY WAY QUESTIONS ARE BEING ANSWERED IS OUT OF THE KINDNESS OF OTHERS HEARTS TO TAKE THE TIME TO DO AS SUCH!

Don't go crucifying those that are trying to help your or that have provided most (if not all) of the answers to the most common problems with SEQ, taken hours to make the FAQ's that are here, created maps, improved the product's performance and stability, etc, etc, etc!

I for one COMMEND those that have taken so much of their own time to continue the work that has been done here! It's something that's completely beyond my skills.

As for the LINKSYS routers/hubs, I only have to say that I've seen it at least 20 times through out the FAQ's, documentation, and posts that for the most part THEY DON'T WORK CORRECTLY WITH SEQ! Not that there isn't a work around with re-routing the packets, but personally, I wouldn't want to do this...

I just find it hard to believe that someone would make a post with "I know that everyone has said that Linksys routers don't work, but I don't want to hear that and there must be a work around so don't flame me for asking a question that I already know the answer too but I didn't like the answer."

??!?!!??! :mad: My first thought to that was "Are you serious?" And "How many times does this have to be posted?"

If you don't have kids then you don't have the experience of being asked "Why" a gazillion times about something, but from those of us that do, believe me, it can get very annoying. The same thing goes here... With the information so readily available in other posts and the FAQ, to ask the obvious question that has been answered many many many times can really piss people off.

So, with all this in mind, I say to the developers, DUDES! GREAT JOB! KEEP IT UP!

There is almost no less thankless job than a developer who is doing his work (and it works without failure)... since the only time he'll hear something is when it doesn't work. :D

cruc
12-31-2002, 09:04 PM
a google for "showeq faq" would have taken 5 seconds of his time.

Sparkz
12-31-2002, 11:59 PM
Advanced Search Preferences Language Tools Search Tips

Web Images Groups Directory News-New!
Searched the web for SHOWEQ FAQ. Results 1 - 10 of about 294. Search took 0.24 seconds

Actually it only takes 0.24sec to do that Google search, but who's counting....:D