PDA

View Full Version : Updating glibc

gooober
12-30-2002, 10:55 AM
Fellow showeq users:

I was wondering if in general if it's a very daunting task to update one's glibc??

My FreeBSD system (v 4.6) seems to be lacking in that area when I read the Readme.install (after reading the newbies file).

Has anyone had any experience in this area?

I read a bit in the glibc documentation (FAQ file) and it stated that updating glibc is a complex task.

Just curious as to how complex if anyone's tried this before.

Thanks for listening!

Mark

fryfrog
12-30-2002, 02:23 PM
mostly depends on your distro, i don't know anything about FBSD. i'm also not sure if showeq will work on fbsd either.

in redhat, it would be something like "rpm -Uvh glibc-*.rpm" and in gentoo a simple "emerge rsync && emerge -u world" would do it. nothing hard about that ;)

gooober
12-30-2002, 02:37 PM
Flyfrog,

Thanks for the reply!

FreeBSD has it's own packaging system - though I could install RPM if I wished.

You either install previously compiled binaries through the pkg_add <packagename> command or there is a ports tree.

The ports tree is a skeletal directory structure where you can use make to search through it for a key word or name, then cd to the /usr/ports/<porttype>/<portname> directory and type:

make install

I will look and see if there is an alternate method of updating this. Otherwise I will completely back up my system before trying anything as it took me a long time to get it configured.

Mark