PDA

View Full Version : Stupid question

james
01-01-2003, 10:09 PM
may be it's a stupid question, but sorry i really dont know what to enter in the "Decoder" ->”Key Filename.."

can someone tell me what should i put in the "Key Filename..." option ?

the keyring.c source file of my keyring.exe ?

please help .

Dedpoet
01-01-2003, 10:27 PM
That option is for people who use a key sniffer that writes the decode key to a file. For example, if you use keyring, and put the decryption key in /tmp, you might set that to /tmp/key.dat or whatever you are calling your file. If you use Maggotboy's sniffer, or one of the other ones that sends the key over your network, you wouldn't use that setting at all, you would use the "port" setting instead. It really depends on your sniffer. If you tell us what sniffer you are using and how you are sending the key to Seq, we may be able to help you better.

james
01-01-2003, 10:50 PM
i am using the keyring 2.2 from here :
http://members.fortunecity.com/baelang/

sorry for the missed information in the previous post =)

and one more question pls.
what should i enter in the "Input Session Key" option ? or if i using the keyring 2.2 , i am going to set the key port only is fine ?

please help .

james
01-01-2003, 11:53 PM
seems my seq linked with my keyring, hehe .
but nothing shown in the seq .

i can see ""Decrypting and dispatching with key: 0xffffffffd029765b"" on my terminal, but seems there are nothing show on my SEQ

can someone teach me what should i do please ?

Dedpoet
01-02-2003, 07:32 AM
What are you seeing in Seq? Nothing at all? Is the proper map loading when you zone? Do you see unknown spawns (white dots) on the map?

If not, then you have a networking problem. Your hub is probably a switch. Are you using a router as your hub? This is the most common problem people have when trying to get ShowEQ running, and is addressed in the FAQ. Click on the "Read This" link on the main page for the FAQ.

If you are seeing the maps and mobs, but they are still not decrypting, then you are having a sniffer problem, and should probably post in the relevant thread in the sniffer section.

james
01-03-2003, 07:44 AM
yes, it's nothing at all, as u said i am using a ADSL modem and connecting a hub, the structure is like the following

http://ahlui.oursky.com/network.jpg

pc1 is the computer which i run my Everquest game and pc4 is the computer which is running SEQ.

i had read the FAQ, it's tell me the follow :
"Get a device which translates PPPoE into normal Ethernet. This may sound like a rare device that you have never heard of, but it isn't. It is just a resedential gateway/router like the ones from LinkSys, Dlink or 3com (or who ever else). You can also use a linux computer which is using PPPoE software on the DSL interface and normal ethernet on the internal network. Just be sure to keep that hub too. "

Actually, I don't understand what it mean, may be I am lack of knowledge in networking. Would you mind telling me more about what should I do please ?

Dedpoet
01-03-2003, 08:40 AM
With your network as drawn, PC4 will not see the traffic from your EQ machine. Why would it? It's on its own hub further away from the Internet than the EQ machine. Draw a line from your EQ machine to the Internet (note the line can cross hubs but not switches). If it crosses your Seq machine, you have a good setup.

Your router should translate the PPPoE to Ethernet, so everything behind your router should be straight Ethernet. What you need to do is something like this:

[Internet]
|
|
[Cable/DSL Modem]
|
|
[Router]
|
|
[Hub]
| |
| |
EQ Box SEQ Box

Connect the UPLINK port of the hub to a regular port in the router. If the hub has one of those uplink buttons, make sure it's set to uplink.

With that setup, only the EQ box you want to monitor and SEQ need to be on the hub. Any other machines you have can go directly on the router. FWIW this is the exact setup I use, with my other computers on the router directly.

fryfrog
01-03-2003, 12:58 PM
I use a slightly more complicated variant of that, due to having a few more computers and a 2nd game to monitor as well (daoc) and a server too...

[Internet (Cable Modem)]
|
[Hub]
| |
|[linux server (live)]
[Router/WAP]
| | |
[laptop] | [linux server (int)]
[hub]
| | |
| |[linux seq]
|[linux excalibur]
[switch]
|||||||
[7 eq/daoc pcs]

jesus, that took a long time to get lined up :)

as you can see, all eq/daoc traffic flows from an 8 port switch -> 8 port hub (with 2 sniffer boxes hooked to it) -> a wireless router (which has a laptop and the inside nic of my web server) -> another hub (with the cable modem and live nic of web server).

complicated, but it works.

james
01-03-2003, 07:00 PM
ah...i drawn a wrong network, it should be like this :

http://ahlui.oursky.com/network.jpg

pc1 = EQ box
pc4 = SEQ box

I am sure the SEQ box can get they key from my EQ box like the previous post, I can see everytime I zone to other zone, the keyring will send a key to SEQ box and the SEQ box can recieve the key, but my SEQ wont show anything, it won't load any map or anything else ...

baelang
01-03-2003, 07:26 PM
go read what deadpoet wrote.

james
01-03-2003, 08:08 PM
oh...yeah, there is a button to switch to UPLINK in my hub which is linking to my EQ box, but after i switch it to UPLINK, the LED of the router which connecting the hub and the router port turn off. And for sure, all of my computers cant go through the internet. Grr.... what's matter ? :(

Cryonic
01-03-2003, 08:44 PM
You still have a fucked up network config and SEQ will NEVER work with it that way.

Mr. Suspicious
01-03-2003, 10:11 PM
THIS is how your network should look like (as mentioned in realy trillions of posts, the FAQ, the documentation and... realy everywhere)