PDA

View Full Version : where can i get...

ubermage123
01-02-2003, 04:10 AM
i've never used linux in my life, but i have another comp i can put linux on to run this prog. it seems to be very useful for EQ playing, but i can't seem to find any free linux OSs... if anyone could plz send me an email about where i can get a linux OS and/or some info on exactly what features SEQ offers that would be great. again, i have never used linux so i dont know left from right, i've been using windows for 10 years now, and i know nothing else (i wish i could switch, but theres no other OSs as compatable... or able to play EQ =P )

send me an email with any info you can supply me, and plz dont flame me for being a loser, i know i need to learn about the other systems, even though im scared out of my mind... sure i can build a comp, pop in the win98 floppy, fdisk and format my HDD, then shove in my winxp CD and have it autoboot, select what i want, and off it goes... but i would have no idea how to do anything complicated, like run an OS from DOS and tell it how to install itself. thats a whole other ballfield, thanx in advance to anyone who can help

Aurelius
01-02-2003, 04:31 AM
Just to save you some grief I'm sure is simmering around here. I would recommend you do a search on the internet for 'linux' and you will find a ton of different 'free' versions. As a matter of fact I think 99% are free unless you count the boxed versions in stores but the same versions can be had visiting their websites. I use Mandrake version of linux myself. It was a hand-hold, easy setup. The installation was 98% automated. Others like the Red Hat version of linux. Still others have their personal flavors.

You need to go to a website and read up a little. Then you will need to download the 'iso' files and create install CDRoms. Just read up a little on the installation. I think Red Hat is currently on version 8 and mandrake is on version 9. If you can't download and burn to CDs, then pick up a set at the computer store or Frys or something.

But, you will need to read the install guides as they have appreared throughout these boards. And another fact, you can't just install a program and run it, thinking it will be all sweet bread and honey. You will have to compile things. So before you jump, do the searches, actually installing linux is the easy part of SeQ. The hard part is getting it up and running and communicating with your other box in the proper way. Remember, Shoot, move and communicate wins the war. )) Sorry. Do some searches and read a bit. You may decide that there is just too much to it for you to want to spend the time/money/frustration/grief/etc to head down that trail.

PS. Read this link: http://seq.sourceforge.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2625

NHRAfan
01-02-2003, 01:57 PM
jaded SEQ user answer:

use search

Happy new SEQ user answer:

Just spend the $25-30 to get a boxed version of Linux. It will save you the hassle of trying to figure out how to make the install CD roms and you get a little support in case you run into problems. I bought Redhat 8.0. Super easy install, even a monkey could do it. If you must get a free version, go to linux.org for all kinds of links to different flavors of Linux.

Once you are ready to install SEQ, read the FAQ and follow it to the letter until you run into a problem. Then come back and search, the answer is here already and you will only incur the wrath of the flame gods if you don't make an effort to find the answer before posting.

If you are not technically competent or if you have a hard time looking for answers yourself, then SEQ is probably not for you. It takes a lot more work than just downloading an install file and double clicking it. If you really want to learn something and you have the patiences to work through the problems, then give it a shot. Finally seeing SEQ working is as good as dinging a new level.

Aurelius
01-02-2003, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by NHRAfan
jaded SEQ user answer:

use search

Was you calling me a jaded user or alluding to others??

NHRAfan
01-02-2003, 11:43 PM
lol not you Aurelius!

That was my feeble attempt at humor.

Aurelius
01-03-2003, 01:52 AM
I thought so but me g/f was leaning across me shoulders reading the reply and she insisted I was the target. )))

Thanx and have a good day. ))

:D

Catt
01-03-2003, 03:45 AM
He was refering to me and others.

:p

to steal a quote, "Search is your friend"

Cryonic
01-03-2003, 11:29 AM
hmm, that quote needs something more.

"I on the other hand am not"

:)