PDA

View Full Version : stupid question with an error..

astupidnewb
01-02-2003, 09:15 PM
ello, i'm a stupid newb. nuff said, commence the flames.
I downloaded the Showeq package fairly well using telnet on my san diego state rohan account but when trying to compile, i get an error:

i did make -f Makefile.dist
and what I got is:
/bin/sh: syntax error at line 1: `(' unexpected
make: *** [all] Error 2

maybe i'm getting this because im using telnet using windows? or is it because my college's unix network doesn't support this type of compiling? /shrug
i'm a stupid newb, enlighten me!

Cryonic
01-02-2003, 09:28 PM
Well since in Linux /bin/sh is really /bin/bash and in most other Unixes /bin/sh is it's own shell, I would suspect that you won't get it to work there without some effort (like knowing what version of Unix it is running and on what hardware).

astupidnewb
01-02-2003, 09:32 PM
yeah i figured, i've used windows for a long time so i'm a real newb as to unix linux and the whole shazam, i'm not too good at installing unix based OS cuz i use windows all the time, hehe basically i'm not diehard unix, though i'd like to be. anyone know a good place to learn more on this shiznit?

Dedpoet
01-03-2003, 08:54 AM
www.linux.org is a great place to start.

Also, not to shoot down your hopes, but I highly doubt that you'll be able to run Seq from your school's server. The computer running ShowEQ needs to be on the same non-switched network segment as your EQ client, and I am relatively confident that your school is using a switched network. On top of that, you would still need a second PC running some sort of X server to see the output of the program.

What you need to run Seq is covered very well in the FAQ. Go to the main forum page and click the "Read This" link at the top.

Good luck.

astupidnewb
01-03-2003, 08:16 PM
ahh ok tnx, i guess i'm gonna have to set myself up with a new computer to host my own linux server. i'm gonna have to learn alot about it in order to make one why? cuz im astupidnewb.
hehee I've never set up a server before. I'm thinking showeq is just a little beyond my range to attain right now.