PDA

View Full Version : network

Tardiss
01-04-2003, 03:36 AM
I have no problem with connecting any flavor of Winblows pc's together via a local network but is it possible to connect a linux pc to a winblows pc and use the winblows pc as the server (link to the internet)? If so then does anyone happen to have a URL handy that shows you how to do this? Each time I try this, the linux pc keeps taking over the IP of the winblows server no matter what config I give it.

Cheers,

Cryonic
01-04-2003, 01:40 PM
This isn't a ShowEQ related problem. to find your solution go use google.

Internet Connection Sharing

Tardiss
01-05-2003, 11:58 AM
I was asking for help with it, was just asking for a URL and yes it is ShowEQ related since I run ShowEQ on the Linux box and EQ on my Windows box.

Cheers

fryfrog
01-05-2003, 02:20 PM
no, it really isn't showeq related. thats like putting your toaster in your car and taking it to the mechanic and saying "fix my toaster, since its in my car it is related".

you offer no info on how your network is setup, we can't just psychically figure out everything about your setup.

search for "ICS" or Internet Connection Sharing, but it is very likely showeq will not work with it setup that way (but not impossible, all depends on the mythical network you have not told us anything about).

for $50, i would go get a hardware dsl/cable router and a true hub.

SeqTester
01-05-2003, 03:36 PM
I am really not sure using the windows box as your gateway and EQ box would work anyways. Seems like the EQPackets would just go out to the EQServers from the winbox and never pass by the Linux box. I am sure there would be a way to force it out also but seems like that would cause a bit of lag.

[ShowEQLinux]-------------------[WindowsGateway]->->->->->->->->->->[{Internet}]

-^Sniffhere^----^NoEqPackets^----^Playing here^------^EQPackets^------[EQServer]

But hey I could be wrong.

fryfrog
01-06-2003, 07:31 AM
it would work if ....

[ showeq box / windows box ] --> hub --> [ windows gateway ]

but that is about the only instance where this would work. it would involve having two windows boxes too.