PDA

View Full Version : qt-x11-free-3.0.5+ compilation instructions

eggman
01-04-2003, 02:09 PM
As per the announce here http://seq.sourceforge.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2685
SEQ will now require qt version 3.0.5 or greater. There have been a few minor changes in the source tree layout.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
For RedHat 7.2 and below users make the following edits. For RedHat 7.3 and 8.x YOU WON'T NEED TO EDIT ANYTHING.

The config for qmake no longer lives at configs/linux-g++-shared.

The new location is mkspecs/linux-g++/qmake.conf . This is the same for all versions 3.0.5 through 3.1.1.

1. The change from gcc to gcc3 edit line 12
2. The changes from g++ to g++3 are on lines 27, 47 and 48.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Grab a version of qt version 3.0.5 or greater.

ftp://ftp.trolltech.com/qt/source/qt-x11-free-3.0.5.tar.gz
or
ftp://ftp.trolltech.com/qt/source/qt-x11-free-3.0.6.tar.gz
or
ftp://ftp.trolltech.com/qt/source/qt-x11-free-3.1.1.tar.gz

( I have compiled and tested all 3 of these with SEQ, they all work fine. There is NO NOTICEABLE DIFFERNECE between any of them and their impact on SEQ )

Unpack the source: tar -xzvf qt-x11-free-3.0.5.tar.gz

Edit the qmake.conf in mkspecs/linux-g++/ of the source directory IF YOU ARE RUNNING AN OLDER BUILD OF REDHAT (<7.3 )

export QTDIR=(path to your source)

./configure -thread --prefix=/opt/qt-x11-free-3.0.5

gmake

gmake install (you will need to be root for this stage, use either /bin/su or sudo )

At this point you will need to add your new qt directory ( /opt/qt-x11-free-3.0.5/lib ) to your /etc/ld.so.conf and run ldconfig. Running ldconfig with verbosity `ldconfig -v` will show you that the new lib directory has been added to the so.cache. (you will need to be root for this stage, use either /bin/su or sudo )

From here normal SEQ instructions apply

export CVSROOT=:pserver:[email protected] :/cvsroot/seq
cvs login
cvs checkout showeq
cd showeq
export QTDIR=/opt/qt-x11-free-3.0.5
export PATH=$QTDIR/bin:$PATH
export MANPATH=$QTDIR/doc/man:$MANPATH
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$QTDIR/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
export CXX=g++ (OR g++3 for older RedHat builds)
export CC=gcc (OR gcc3 for older RedHat builds)
make -f Makefile.dist
./configure --prefix=/opt/showeq-4.3.4
make
make install (you will need to be root for this stage, use either /bin/su or sudo )

Now you can /opt/showeq-4.3.4/bin/showeq -i xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx etc etc

I've used /opt in my examples here as I do not locally maintain showeq. If you maintain your own tree, prefer /usr/local, or could give a crap about filesystem standards feel free to change it.

I used 3.0.5 as the version in teh examples, if you choose to use a newer version (3.0.6-3.1.1) remember to change the command syntax accordingly.

This is honestly as easy as I can make the instructions. I'm pretty sure that you could copy and paste the lines from here and have a working install when you finish.

I've updated this because it may be confusing people running newer versions of RedHat.

Hope this helps,
--Egg

zeroman
01-05-2003, 01:10 AM
something seems amiss with my new QT.

I d/l'd qt-3.1.1, extracted it, edited and made it no problem.

./configure refuses to find the lib. i have done the appropriate export, it does find the new headers, it just won't find the lib.

a little investigating reveals this..

qt-3.1.1/lib contains
libqt.so.3.1.1 and all the appropriate symlinks
libqui.so.1.0.0 and symlinks

qt-2.3.2/lib contains
libqt.so.2.3.2 and symlinks
libqt-mt.so.2.3.2 and symlinks
libqutil.so.1.0.0 and symlinks

is the ./configure looking for one of the files that QT no longer makes?
I have already updated /etc/ld.so.conf with no success either.

Any thoughts?

Cryonic
01-05-2003, 02:54 AM
Maybe you forgot something when you ran ./configure for QT (not SEQ).

Catt
01-05-2003, 06:26 AM
Grrrr

mt = Threads???

guess I have to build it again too :(

eggman
01-05-2003, 10:32 AM
My apologies. I forgot to include -thread in the ./configure example.

The instructions are updated.

Cheers,
-Egg

Catt
01-05-2003, 11:54 AM
Not really your fault, I knew it needed threads but forgot to add it myself.

Thanks though :)

high energy
01-05-2003, 07:50 PM
I can get the latest code to compile (with warning about using QT 3.x+)

I've follow your instructions but get compile problem in SEQ.

Only thing I can see different is that I'm using QT 3.1.1.

Any suggestions? I couldn't find 3.0.5 from trolltech.

m_spawnshell.cpp:17:2: #error "This file was generated using the moc from 3.0.5. It"
m_spawnshell.cpp:18:2: #error "cannot be used with the include files from this version of Qt."
m_spawnshell.cpp:19:2: #error "(The moc has changed too much.)"
make[2]: *** [m_spawnshell.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/path/path/showeq/src'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/path/path/showeq'
make: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2

Cryonic
01-05-2003, 08:02 PM
You must not have setup the environment variables correctly and your system is trying to use the QT 3.0.5 MOC and the 3.1.1 includes. As the error states, they don't work together.

high energy
01-05-2003, 08:04 PM
Nevermind. I deleted the project and started from scratch. That seemed to have fixed it.

I assume running make makedist and configure again doesn't reset some files.

Anyway, I'm all good.

eggman
01-05-2003, 08:14 PM
Wow, in the time it took me to look at the source and figure out what went wrong you had it figured out =). You're fast.

For the record, when reusing your tree you always want to

make clean
rm -f config.cache
make -f Makefile.dist
./configure
make

Cheers,
-Egg

hai_hai
01-06-2003, 12:18 PM
Egg,

Am I missing something? Where do we grab the files at, as in download.

Could ya make the post a lil more newb, kinda confusing.

(Serious I am not being sarcastic)

Thanks

eggman
01-06-2003, 04:13 PM
The instructions have been updated.

Cheers,
-Egg

erice2
01-08-2003, 11:30 AM
I have the exact same problem as zeroman(above, read his post for a description of my problem). I have done all that is suggested to fix it though with no luck.

Qt 3.1.1 compiled and installed no problems. I compiled it with
./configure -thread --prefix=/opt/qt-x11-free-3.1.1

I then updated the /etc/ld.so.conf per instructions.

One thing I did not do is "Edit the qmake.conf in mkspecs/linux-g++/ of the source directory." I looked at it but didn't see anything I needed to do. Is this where I went wrong?

After QT install I went on to seq and did
make clean
rm -f config.cache
make -f Makefile.dist
./configure

Just like zeroman says, I get an error when it tryes to verify the qt libs. It says:
"configure: error: Something wicked happened while trying to validate your Qt installation!!! Please verify your libraries..."

Any Ideas on how to fix this would be apreciated.
Thanks.

TDES
01-08-2003, 12:34 PM
For those still having a problem after Egg's instructions -

The NEWBIE.install file updated by Mr. Susp. works perfectly.
(see CVS) or:

http://seq.sourceforge.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2699

btw, he's not kidding where it say it takes 1-6 hours to compile QT
(I really need a faster Linux box ... sigh)

eggman
01-08-2003, 01:06 PM
"configure: error: Something wicked happened while trying to validate your Qt installation!!! Please verify your libraries..."

This error is general but usually happens for one of 2 reasons.

QTDIR was not set (export QTDIR=/opt/qt-x11-3.1.1)

or

Qt was not compiled with -thread. In $QTDIR/lib (/opt/qt-x11-3.1.1/lib) there should be 2 libqt library sets, libqt and libqt-mt. These will be listed as libqt.so.3.1.1 and libqt-mt.so.3.1.1 with symlinks recusing up to their parent library name (ie; libqt.so). If the libqt-mt libraries are not present, the configure script will fail.

At the configure output, just before the standard error you posted, where does it say it is looking ? What does the output of `ls -l /opt/qt-x11-3.1.1` look like ? Are you certain qt was compiled with gcc3 (g++3) ?

Cheers,
-Egg

erice2
01-08-2003, 03:56 PM
I read the Install.newbies and see where I went wrong.
You might edit the original post to make it even easier.
I would add (in the appropriet(sp) spot)

edit the file "mkspecs/linux-g++/qmake.conf and change all
references of "gcc" to "gcc3" as well as "g++" to "g++3"

Anyway, thanks all, Im sure it will work this time.

Edit: Bleh, I see now that he does tell me this up above. Before the download. Im and idiot.

rencro
01-08-2003, 08:05 PM
or gcc-3.0.1 g++-3.0.1 and so many more possibilities, obviously depending on what distro you may be using..

i.e gcc-3.0.4 ect ect

Cryonic
01-08-2003, 11:01 PM
only if you have multiple versions of GCC on your system. Running RH8 or MK9 you only have GCC 3.2 and the binary is gcc and g++, but then again with the new fixes/changes to SEQ you don't need to build QT from source on those distros as they come precompiled with GCC > 3 and -thread option enabled.

eggman
01-09-2003, 07:32 AM
"Running RH8 or MK9 you only have GCC 3.2 and the binary is gcc and g++, but then again with the new fixes/changes to SEQ you don't need to build QT from source on those distros as they come precompiled with GCC > 3 and -thread option enabled."

While technicaly true, I have to say that the advantages of having libraries compiled for your specific architecture, rather than general i386 intructions, can make a significant difference in performance. You should see how LFS or Gentoo run compared to RedHat, it can be rather amazing.

Cheers,
-Egg

hai_hai
01-09-2003, 10:11 AM
Appreciate the update on your FAQ, for us newbs!

/bow

quackrabbit
01-09-2003, 11:59 AM
I am trying to compile/install qt-3.1.1 on RedHat 7.3. I have read and am following suggestions from this post and the INSTALL.newbies file (from the patch posted in another thread).

I don't have yacc installed on my box, so it was suggested in irc (by floyd) that I use bison instead.

So i edited my mkspecs/linux-g++/qmake.conf file and replaced gcc with gcc3 and g++ with g++3 and I also changed yacc to bison (and tried bison -y both).

I then run configure -thread in my qt-3.1.1 directory and it works ok.

When i run gmake I get the following errors (after a bit of successful compiling):
bison -d moc.y
moc.y:849.17: parse error, unexpected ":", expecting ";" or "|"
moc.y:1094.19: parse error, unexpected ":", expecting ";" or "|"

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Quack

quackrabbit
01-09-2003, 12:38 PM
Got it!

I installed an rpm for byacc and flex and got it to work np.

Hope this helps someone else.

Quack

repudi8or
01-10-2003, 03:52 AM
Folks,

I am about to go ahead and compile this version of qt following the instructions. I was just wondering if someone could explain to me why the configure fails when I am using the latest rh7.3 qt and qt-devel rpms from rpmfind (qt-3.0.5-7.14 and qt-devel-3.0.5-7.14). I get the "something wicked happened whilst trying to validate your Qt libraries" message. Can you please inform me what the difference is.

Tks in advance for the explanation.

Repudi8or

Mr. Suspicious
01-10-2003, 04:04 AM
I was just wondering if someone could explain to me why the configure fails when I am using the latest rh7.3 qt and qt-devel rpms from rpmfind (qt-3.0.5-7.14 and qt-devel-3.0.5-7.14).

What do you think the difference is between "installing rpm's" and "downloading source and compiling it"?

eggman
01-10-2003, 08:06 AM
repudi8or,

There are a few things that could bring about that error. There are a few posts above this in teh thread that talk a bit about debuging the SEQ compile, and a lot of them in the forums that you can find here

http://seq.sourceforge.net/search.php?s=

To make it easier, the configure script records a .log of it's actions in the top level directory of the SEQ source ( where you typed ./configure ) and there is also a .dbg file. Take a look at these ( `ls *.log` `ls *.dbg` ) and see if there's any hints there. Unfortunatly I don't have the RPM's handy that you are refering to so I'm unable to check the compile options that were used.

Mr. Suspicious,

What does your post have to do with his question, other than including it in quotes ? Unless I'm somehow misreading it, it appears to me that they are explaining that they are about to compile the source because they can't get SEQ to compile using the RPM suplied and are wondering if someone can explain why the rpm's won't allow them to compile. Maybe I'm not reading into the post enough, but your responce isn't very useful. This is the help board after all and we all needed help at one time, even jeeves =)

Cheers,
-Egg

vylesilencer
01-10-2003, 11:59 AM
Guys, I've followed the directions very closely. Started with qt-3.1.1 got the same error with that, so downloaded qt-3.0.5 and followed the install.newbies to the letter. My ./configure -thread goes fine, my gmake goes fine, but my gmake install bombs out with very little error text, I've nothing to go on..

cp -f -p "../doc/html/layout-example.html" "/usr/local/qt/doc/html/"
cp -f -p "../doc/html/layout.html" "/usr/local/qt/doc/html/"
cp -f -p "../doc/html/layout1.png" "/usr/local/qt/doc/html/"
strip "/usr/local/qt/doc/html/"
strip: /usr/local/qt/doc/html/: Is a directory
gmake[2]: *** [install_docs] Error 1
gmake[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/lib/qt-3.0.5/src'
gmake[1]: *** [src-install] Error 2
gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/lib/qt-3.0.5'
gmake: *** [install] Error 2

cheese_poker
01-10-2003, 12:19 PM
Thanks so much eggman !! Great guide.

Thanks to erice2 also. I had the same problems and because of your post, I made the necessary adjustments, and voila ... SEQ compiled again. :)

quackrabbit
01-10-2003, 01:51 PM
Nothing like seeing:

checking for Qt... yes
>> Found version.: 3.1.1
>>> Headers......: /usr/lib/qt-3.1.1/include/
>>>> Libraries...: /usr/lib/qt-3.1.1/lib/
>>>>> Workable...: -*{ YES }*-

baelang
01-10-2003, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by repudi8or
I was just wondering if someone could explain to me why the configure fails when I am using the latest rh7.3 qt and qt-devel rpms from rpmfind (qt-3.0.5-7.14 and qt-devel-3.0.5-7.14). I get the "something wicked happened whilst trying to validate your Qt libraries" message. Can you please inform me what the difference is.

you get that message because the rpms have BOTH of the following problems:
* qt was not compiled with gcc3
* qt was not compiled with the -threads option

Dragonbane
01-10-2003, 04:33 PM
I am getting segmentation faults and floating point exceptions when doing the gmake on QT 3.1.1, redhat 7.1. I found a post that said seg faults were hardware related.....are the floating point exceptions hardware also? It wouldn't supprise me if it was...I'm dealing with a 3 year old laptop.

Cryonic
01-10-2003, 04:40 PM
uhh, Baelang, while the RH7.x rpms aren't compiled with gcc3 (unless you do what I did) they are indeed compiled with the -thread option and quite a few other options as well. I know this because I looked at the options when I compiled the src.rpm into the binary rpms for use on my system.

deveraux
01-10-2003, 04:41 PM
I am unable to install the new versions of qt - I have tried versions 3.0.5, 3.0.6, and 3.1.1 - each version produces errors upon entering the "gmake install" phase of installation. Having successfuly installed qt and seq in the past and had no problems, I am surprised at the amount of resistance I am now encountering.

I have made absolutely sure that the environment variables are set correctly (as illustrated in Eggman's post) and that the gmake.conf is edited appropriately. I also set the recommended environment variables listed in the qt's README.

To be brief, I'm only describing the errors encountered with version 3.1.1. Using Redhate 7.2, the following ocurred:

(link to the 3.1.1 build resides at /opt/qt)
./configure -thread -prefix /opt/qt
(configured sucessfully)
gmake
(compiled sucessfully)
gmake install
(installation aborts with the following error)
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lqt-mt

This error implies that the compilation cannot find the thread source. I am not sure how to proceed. The trolltech discussion boards say nothing about this error. Any ideas what is happening?

eggman
01-10-2003, 05:11 PM
Deveraux,

If you've compiled the source without error you are good to go as far as SEQ is concearned ( And any other code that wants to link against it ). You can actually just move the source dir to your final destination. The only downside is that it will not be very pretty inside. All of the relavent dir structure will be there ( /bin, /lib, /include , etc etc).

While I didn't encounter the error you did, and to be honest I'm not sure why make install is wanting to relink things, it appears others have encounter the problem.

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&threadm=auo0h0%24kev%241%40venus.btinternet.com&rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Fhl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26oe%3DUTF-8%26q%3D%2522%252Fusr%252Fbin%252Fld%253A%2Bcannot %2Bfind%2B-lqt-mt%2522%26sa%3DN%26tab%3Dwg

So dont sweat it. Just move the source dir to wherever you want ,update your ld.so.conf, and rerun ldconfig.

Cheers,
-Egg

Mr. Suspicious
01-10-2003, 05:14 PM
What does your post have to do with his question, other than including it in quotes ? Unless I'm somehow misreading it, it appears to me that they are explaining that they are about to compile the source because they can't get SEQ to compile using the RPM suplied and are wondering if someone can explain why the rpm's won't allow them to compile. Maybe I'm not reading into the post enough, but your responce isn't very useful. This is the help board after all and we all needed help at one time, even jeeves =)

Actually, if you are trying to compile rpm's then it won't work ofcourse... rpm <> source. You install an RPM and you compile a source. I asked that question, because if he does not know the difference between the two, then he needs to dive into his manual (and follow the guide EXACTLY, the guide, this one doesn't tell anyone to get rpm's, it tells them to get the source and compile it.)

eggman
01-10-2003, 05:31 PM
Mr. Suspicious,

My apologies, I just didn't read the post that way. Good call though, trying to compile RPM's would be futile.

Cheers,
-Egg

baelang
01-10-2003, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by Cryonic
uhh, Baelang, while the RH7.x rpms aren't compiled with gcc3 (unless you do what I did) they are indeed compiled with the -thread option and quite a few other options as well. I know this because I looked at the options when I compiled the src.rpm into the binary rpms for use on my system.

i stand corrected.

it's been a long time since i attempted to use an RPM of QT.

vylesilencer
01-10-2003, 08:52 PM
Im having the problem Deveraux described. You suggested that the 'gmake install' wasn't necessary, but './configure' in my seq cvs is giving me a lib detection failure. I've verified all my environment variables they are definitely pointing to the right location. Someone please help, I've been working on this for 24 hours and using seq for 2 years, Im dieing!

high energy
01-10-2003, 09:37 PM
Based on Eggman's instructions, I've fiddled with it to make it more understandable (well at least to me) and thought to share it with you.

Thanks all for the help and replies to make this happen.

Grab a version of qt version 3.0.5 or greater. I'd suggest 3.1.1 as it's the latest rev.

ftp://ftp.trolltech.com/qt/source/qt-x11-free-3.0.5.tar.gz
ftp://ftp.trolltech.com/qt/source/qt-x11-free-3.0.6.tar.gz
ftp://ftp.trolltech.com/qt/source/qt-x11-free-3.1.1.tar.gz

For QT:
1. Download the QT libraries from one of the items listed above
2. Unpack the source: tar -xzvf qt-x11-free-3.0.5.tar.gz (or whatever rev you have downloaded)
3. CD into the untar'd QT directory
4. Edit ./mkspecs/linux-g++/qmake.conf
5. Change all references from gcc to gcc3. (Should only be 1 on line 12)
6. Change all references from g++ to g++3. (Should be on lines 27, 47, and 48)
7. Save your changes and quit your editor.
8. Find your directory path by typing "pwd". This is what you'll use for your path source.
9a. Using bash shell, "export QTDIR=(path to your source. What you got back from pwd.)"
9b. Using tcsh shell, "setenv QTDIR (path to your source. What you got back from pwd.)"
9c. I don't know other shells, so you might want to ask someone here for those env shell settings.
10. Determine where you want to install QT. QT usually is installed in /opt/
11. ./configure -thread --prefix=/opt/qt-x11-free-3.0.5 (Make sure you set the correct version you downloaded, ie: prefix=/opt/qt-x11-free-3.1.1)
12. As root: gmake
13. As root: gmake install
14. As root: Edit /etc/ld.so.conf and add /opt/qt-x11-free-3.0.5/lib (or wherever your installed QT as well as the correct version you downloaded.)
15. As root: Run ldconfig -v to add the new QT lib to your so.cache and to verify it.

For ShowEQ:

Settings shell ENVs
Those using BASH:
1. export CVSROOT=:pserver:[email protected] :/cvsroot/seq
2. export QTDIR=/opt/qt-x11-free-3.0.5 (or wherever your installed QT as well as the correct version you downloaded.)
3. export PATH=$QTDIR/bin:$PATH
4. export MANPATH=$QTDIR/doc/man:$MANPATH
5. export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$QTDIR/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
6. export CXX=g++3
7. export CC=gcc3

For those using tcsh:
1. setenv CVSROOT :pserver:[email protected]:/cvsroot/seq
2. setenv QTDIR /opt/qt-x11-free-3.0.5(or wherever your installed QT as well as the correct version you downloaded.)
3. setenv PATH $QTDIR/bin:$PATH
4. setenv MANPATH $QTDIR/doc/man:$MANPATH
5. setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH $QTDIR/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
6. setenv CXX g++3
7. setenv CC gcc3

Downloading showeq
1. cvs login
2. cvs checkout showeq
3. cd showeq

Resettings.updating showeq if you already have it
1. cd showeq (Your showeq source directory) "cvs update -d"
2. make clean
3. rm -f config.cache

Compiling showeq
1. make -f Makefile.dist
2. ./configure --prefix=/opt/showeq-4.3.4 (don't use prefix if you don't want to specify where to install. I use seq default, which is /usr/local/bin/showeq)
3. make
4. make install (you will need to be root for this stage, use either /bin/su or sudo )

That should do it. You should be able to run showeq like you've done in the past.

deveraux
01-10-2003, 09:41 PM
I am still having the missing -lqt-mt problem .. I went ahead and tried to upgrade seq without having gone through qt's "gmake install" and the required qt libraries simply are not there. The seq configure aborts because it cannot find the qt libs that it needs.

In looking through similar problems on other forums, the solution always seems to be "make sure that the -thread option is included in the qt configure". This cannot be the case in my situation because I used that argument from the very beginning and in all 13 subsequent qt compile attempts.

Any thoughts?

Mr. Suspicious
01-11-2003, 07:14 AM
I find it very funny that anyone that has trouble installing QT doesn't quickly read the QT installing documentation. The EXACT things you need to do are specified there. Even provides an indepth "what to do when you see XXX error" section.

mudtoe
01-11-2003, 11:12 AM
I was compiling QT 3.0.5 when I ran out of disk space. After I free some space can I just restart with the qmake, or do I need to delete everything and start over? I didn't realize how much space this thing was going to need. BTW I'm running on Redhat 7.1

mudtoe

sea4th
01-11-2003, 11:37 AM
I am having the same problem described by vylesilencer and am in the "process results of search mode". I looked at the path gmake was complaining about and renamed it (well mv == rename) to htmlold and reran "gmake install" and got the same message. So went to trolltech and got 3.1.1 - WOW a 15 hr compile with a different error result. Now to learn more about linux and QT..........

Originally posted by vylesilencer
Guys, I've followed the directions very closely. Started with qt-3.1.1 got the same error with that, so downloaded qt-3.0.5 and followed the install.newbies to the letter. My ./configure -thread goes fine, my gmake goes fine, but my gmake install bombs out with very little error text, I've nothing to go on..

cp -f -p "../doc/html/layout-example.html" "/usr/local/qt/doc/html/"
cp -f -p "../doc/html/layout.html" "/usr/local/qt/doc/html/"
cp -f -p "../doc/html/layout1.png" "/usr/local/qt/doc/html/"
strip "/usr/local/qt/doc/html/"
strip: /usr/local/qt/doc/html/: Is a directory
gmake[2]: *** [install_docs] Error 1
gmake[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/lib/qt-3.0.5/src'
gmake[1]: *** [src-install] Error 2
gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/lib/qt-3.0.5'
gmake: *** [install] Error 2

sea4th
01-11-2003, 11:42 AM
FWIW - exactly the same result with 3.1.1 -

Originally posted by deveraux

(link to the 3.1.1 build resides at /opt/qt)
./configure -thread -prefix /opt/qt
(configured sucessfully)
gmake
(compiled sucessfully)
gmake install
(installation aborts with the following error)
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lqt-mt

sea4th
01-11-2003, 12:16 PM
Aye you have a sense of humor it appears - thanks for the tip and off to find this info.

Originally posted by Mr. Suspicious
I find it very funny that anyone that has trouble installing QT doesn't quickly read the QT installing documentation. The EXACT things you need to do are specified there. Even provides an indepth "what to do when you see XXX error" section.

deveraux
01-11-2003, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Suspicious
The EXACT things you need to do are specified there. Even provides an indepth "what to do when you see XXX error" section.

Perhaps I missed this in my review of the documentation. There does not appear to be a troubleshooting section in any of the documentation.

I do have a solution for the problem that some of us are encountering in 3.0.5 involving the attempted strip of symbols that causes installation crash. AFTER "gmake" of 3.0.5 and before "gmake install", edit the src/Makefile and look for the following lines and comment them out:

strip "$(INSTALL_ROOT)/opt/qt/doc/html/"
strip "$(INSTALL_ROOT)/opt/qt/doc/html/"

Doing this, I was able to successfuly "gmake install" 3.0.5

deveraux
01-11-2003, 02:06 PM
I found that I successfully compiled and installed qt 3.0.5 only to break X in the process. X now appears to be looking for libraries for the old qt. The error message upon crash of X appears as follows:

XIM DEBUG: X Error of failed request: 86
Major opcode of failed request: 51 (X_SetFontPath)
Serial number of failed request: 9
Current serial number in output stream: 11
ksplash: error while loading shared libraries: libqt.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
kdeinit: error while loading shared libraries: libqt.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
ksmserver: error while loading shared libraries: libqt.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
connect() failed: : No such file or directory

I had previously removed references to the old qt libraries in ld.so.conf (adding the lib path for qt 3.0.5) and ldconfig'ed but X appears to be looking for the old libs. Do I need to reinstall X? I'd rather not have to go to that extreme if the solution is simple. Thoughts?

high_jeeves
01-11-2003, 03:19 PM
Not sure why you removed the references to the old QT, but that is definitely your problem. I dont know of a better solution than either rebuilding X (and EVERYTHING that is dependant on your old QT) or, reinstalling your old QT.

--Jeeves

Mr. Suspicious
01-11-2003, 04:16 PM

Perhaps I missed this in my review of the documentation. There does not appear to be a troubleshooting section in any of the documentation.

There's several references (each next reference is found by following links in previous reference):

http://doc.trolltech.com/3.1/
http://doc.trolltech.com/3.1/install-x11.html
http://www.trolltech.com/developer/platforms/linux.html
http://www.trolltech.com/developer/faqs/installation.html

sea4th
01-11-2003, 06:21 PM

I had previously removed references to the old qt libraries in ld.so.conf (adding the lib path for qt 3.0.5) and ldconfig'ed but X appears to be looking for the old libs. Do I need to reinstall X? I'd rather not have to go to that extreme if the solution is simple. Thoughts?

Having multiple paths in the ldconfig does not decide which library gets used. I believe that is established by your export QTDIR=. I offer this as a possible explantion until someone who really knows can say for sure. There are more exports needed with QT-3.x.x and looking to learn what those actually do while my first compile of Seq with qt-3.x.x crawls along.

sea4th
01-12-2003, 03:18 AM
Originally posted by high energy
Based on Eggman's instructions, I've fiddled with it to make it more understandable (well at least to me) and thought to share it with you.

... deleted stuff ...

Compiling showeq
1. make -f Makefile.dist
2. ./configure --prefix=/opt/showeq-4.3.4 (don't use prefix if you don't want to specify where to install. I use seq default, which is /usr/local/bin/showeq)
3. make
4. make install (you will need to be root for this stage, use either /bin/su or sudo )

That should do it. You should be able to run showeq like you've done in the past.

I found that I needed to use the make distclean and then update the cvs to get seq to work and decode. The only thing I have noticed broken are the spell info which has been mentioned in other posts. Maps, zones, player info, guildinfo, spawns, locations, levels, spawnpoints, experience history are working as before the patch.

useseq
01-12-2003, 12:57 PM
I have complete make and gmake successfully without errors.
I went in to the /etc/ld.so.conf directory and added the source directory with /lib at the end.
When I type ldconfig -v, I get:

/qt/qt-x11-free-3.1.1/lib
ldconfig: Cannot stat /qt/qt-x11-free-3.1.1/lib/libqt-mt.so: No such file or directory
libqui.so.1 -> libqui.so.1.0.0

My source code directory is /qt/qt-x11-free-3.1.1 and this is the only error message I see when I run ldconfig -v. Is this normal?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT:
There's a readme file in /lib direcotry and it said:

If this directory is empty, you forgot to build the Qt library

What does this mean? I do have couple of files in the lib folder.
Another thing is libqt-mt.so look like a shortcut file that points to libqt-mt.3.1.1 file, which does not exist.

eggman
01-12-2003, 02:22 PM
Useseq,

This sounds like you have symlinks to libraries that do not exist. What does the output of `ls -l` show in your $QTDIR/lib directory show ?

-Egg

useseq
01-12-2003, 03:54 PM
Hrmm... I ran

ls -l

And everthing looks ok except there's a red high-lighted section. It says:

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root 1002 17 Jan 10 11:43 libqt-mt.so -> libqt-mt.so.3.1.1

In the lib directory, I don't see libqt-mt.so.3.1.1 file

Thanks,

eggman
01-12-2003, 05:08 PM
"lrwxrwxrwx 1 root 1002 17 Jan 10 11:43 libqt-mt.so -> libqt-mt.so.3.1.1

In the lib directory, I don't see libqt-mt.so.3.1.1 file"

Your qt was compiled without -thread

Cheers,
-Egg

useseq
01-12-2003, 09:08 PM
So I have to redo everything?

Poncho
01-13-2003, 03:53 PM
-yes-

Egg~
Have you ever messed with this on Mandrake 9.0? Works like a charm on RH7.3 for me, but this sucker seems to be a totally different scenario...And I thought picking up Mandrake 9.0 would be a fun project to learn after using RedHat all this time jeeez, feeling really n00bish again.

I made a full post on the help forum in hopes you would (or anyone else with some xp in this matter) see it. Maybe change the gcc & g++ to "gcc-3.2 -version" and "g++-3.2 -version"? About the ONLY thing that I havnt tried that I can think of.....

~Poncho

Poncho
01-14-2003, 12:47 AM
Nevermind - went through every scenario with gcc and g++ to no avail.

#gcc <tab> <tab>
gcc gcc-3.2 gcc3.2-version gccmakedep

Tried the middle 2.

<sigh>

eggman
01-14-2003, 08:21 AM
Poncho,

Sorry, I don't have any experience with compiling qt or seq with mandrake. In my oppinion Mandrake started off on the wrong foot (by using another distribution at the core )and that has kept me from ever being interested in their distribution. It is immensly popular though, I was a sysadmin for the largest public Linux mirror site in N. America and it was always one of the top downloads.

My advice, go with what you know. The mandrake kernel isn't any better than the redhat kernel. Besides, Alan Cox doesn't work for mandrake, he works for RedHat =) In theory, that should be a plus for the hat.

Cheers,
-Egg

Poncho
01-14-2003, 10:47 AM
Thanx Egg. You are a class act and I'm glad there are people like you lurking about in the SEQ forums.

Those are probably good words of advise to heed. Figured it would be fun to learn a new setup - but I've had more fun watching paint dry than that. Problem is, I'm not one to quit once I dive into something in hopes of keeping my pride somewhat in tact.

Couple questions, however basic they may come to some of you:

1. Is it at all possible that the qt3.0.5+ releases are NOT fully compatible with the Mandrake 9.0 distro?! (slap me, but was looking at the lastest RPM's on rpmfind.net, and I didnt see any Mandrake releases after 3.0.5)

2. Upon install, I am assuming that the installation would pick up the latest RPM's as would be found on rpmfind.net?

3. n00b question to sum it all up: Can someone please give me a synopsis in how ./configure && make && install works? ie- # ./configure checks for system resources -> correct package installs to compile/run etc......# make sets up program shell -> checks logical $strings/checkpoints etc.....# make install writes all the crap.

The above were just guesses on my part, but it would be very helpful to me to reverse engineer this if I knew what each step of the process involved. Up to this date, I've only followed directions and never really cared..this is slowly changing.

Any direction from here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

~Poncho

eggman
01-14-2003, 11:47 AM
1. Is it at all possible that the qt3.0.5+ releases are NOT fully compatible with the Mandrake 9.0 distro?! (slap me, but was looking at the lastest RPM's on rpmfind.net, and I didnt see any Mandrake releases after 3.0.5)

It is more likely to be the other way around. It is more likely that Mandrake has been modified in some fashion to where something won't work as expected. In my experience, compiling QT on multiple platforms and OS's, QT is very portable.

2. Upon install, I am assuming that the installation would pick up the latest RPM's as would be found on rpmfind.net?

The installation is only going to use the RPM's found in the install path. If that path is a network path (ftp,nfs etc) it will only use the packages placed there. For an "up-to-the-minute linux distrobution you will need to use Debian or Gentoo ( or something similar ).

3. n00b question to sum it all up: Can someone please give me a synopsis in how ./configure && make && install works? ie- # ./configure checks for system resources -> correct package installs to compile/run etc......# make sets up program shell -> checks logical $strings/checkpoints etc.....# make install writes all the crap.

Configure is a script, take a look at it. You can see everything it does (less configure). Make uses a standard file format that is human readable. Take a look at the Makefile to see what it is doing. The Makefile is seperated into sections (all , install , etc etc ) each section has instructions on what make is to perform.

If you're looking for greater detail into the process ( assembling, compiling, linking, etc ) give http://www.google.com/ a try.

Cheers,
-Egg

devnul
01-14-2003, 01:38 PM
This guide is helpful data for people who really already know what they were doing. But neglects several important things in key places which will get you in trouble. You can easily hose up your RH installation beyond your ability to repair it short of a wipe/reinstall.

Unless you don't really need a guide, don't use this guide. Use the one in install.newbies.

dn

eggman
01-14-2003, 02:00 PM
Devnul,

Would you care to elaborate ? The instructions I wrote will not tamper with anything installed by the base distribution unless you set the --prefix to something silly. If you have recomendations though, please share them as I will update the howto as I have for the other requests.

Cheers,
-Egg

Epsilon
01-15-2003, 01:48 PM
since this is my first post i would like to start with thanking everyone behind this great project (you know who you are..even tho i dont) and the people that lurking this board helping others with problems :)

i had the same problem as poncho and deveraux, so i followed the post high energy did and after that it worked for me, to me it looked like QT needs to be configured with the --prefix cause it was the only thing i changed and after that qmake install worked like a charm..im not sure tho cause i know as much linux as my grandma.

thanks again to eggman and high energy and dev team

ps. sorry for my bad english, its not my main language :)

deveraux
01-15-2003, 03:16 PM
I wanted to thank you all, particularly eggman, Mr. Suspicious, and high jeeves for the observations that got me back on track and QT upgraded. My previous problem involving my omission of the old QT libs from ld.so.conf was as high jeeves had described - those libraries were needed as well and everything worked fine after the appropriate libs were put back and re-ldconfig'ed.

Thank you for a valuable service to our EQ community!

devnul
01-16-2003, 12:33 PM
"Devnul,

Would you care to elaborate ?"

Sure.

just diff your post with high jeeves (nice job high jeeves!)

No offense meant at all. You solved a problem and posted the results but labelling it instructions..

A friend of mine hosed up his RH install beyond his ability to repair trying to follow your post. If I had not been available he would have had to do a total reinstall. Your post assumes some knowlege which a real newby would not know and even my reading of it seems unclear which directory one should be in at which point. Anyway it didn't work for him and then he tried to fix it.. ugh.

Anyway don't take it wrong, it's not meant that way. But it's clear from this thread that a lot of people had trouble following your post but none when following high jeeves. You're a better technical problem solver than technical writer. No big deal. We need both in the world.

dn

Meltro
01-25-2003, 03:18 PM
Have installed 3.1.1 and devel via rpm from rpmfind on RH 7.2, got 'something wicked' error. The relevant text (I think) is below:

/tmp/ccsd6plX.o: In function `main':
/tmp/ccsd6plX.o(.text+0x86): undefined reference to `QMutex::QMutex(bool)'
/tmp/ccsd6plX.o(.text+0x95): undefined reference to `QMutex::~QMutex()'
/tmp/ccsd6plX.o: In function `QString::QString()':
/tmp/ccsd6plX.o(.gnu.linkonce.t._ZN7QStringC1Ev+0x7): undefined reference to `QString::shared_null'
/tmp/ccsd6plX.o(.gnu.linkonce.t._ZN7QStringC1Ev+0x10): undefined reference to `QString::shared_null'
/tmp/ccsd6plX.o(.gnu.linkonce.t._ZN7QStringC1Ev+0x18): undefined reference to `QString::makeSharedNull()'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
configure: failed program was:
#define QT_THREAD_SUPPORT 1
#include "confdefs.h"
#include <qglobal.h>
#include <qapplication.h>
#include <qapp.h>
#include <qobjcoll.h>
#include <qstringlist.h>
#include <qstyle.h>
#include <qthread.h>
#if ! (QT_VERSION > 230)
#error 1
#endif

int main() {
QStringList *t = new QStringList();
QMutex mutex;
return 0;
}

./configure does seem to be using the qt3 symlinks, but 2.3.2 and 2.3.1 are still installed (was unable to uninstall due to dependancies)
I can wipe/reinstall if that would be best solution, and if so, would upgrading to 7.3 or 8.0 be wise?

GaVak
02-08-2003, 05:19 PM
When I try to ./configure -thread with version 2.2.1 of QT I get nothing but screen after screen of:

<FILENAME>.o(.txt+SOMEHEXADDRESS): undefined reference to 'SOMEOPTION'

I had to download and compile g++ version three and I am guessing that I did something wrong... Any ideas of what the problem is?

Thanks,

GaVak

Dedpoet
02-08-2003, 06:32 PM
When I try to ./configure -thread with version 2.2.1 of QT I get nothing but screen after screen of:

I'm sorry, GaVak, I don't usually flame here, you can ask anyone...but your reason for asking this question eludes me. This is a thread about installing Qt 3.0.5, and as of January 3rd, ShowEQ requires Qt 3.0.5 or later (http://seq.sourceforge.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2685). The FAQ even says to use 2.3.2, and though it is a bit out of date, it is still a later version than 2.1.1. (In fact, 2.3.2 will still work, it is just not preferred anymore.)

I will update the FAQ with my changes regarding 3.0.5+ as soon as the next CVS update comes out, but please...take a look at the rest of the boards before posting a question like this. I know I've been using Seq for just under a year, and 2.3.2 has been required for at least that long.

GaVak
02-08-2003, 06:55 PM
In Mandrake 8.2, there is another version of the QT libraries installed that conflicts with ./configure... (Found it on the QT website.) Removing the conflicting package resolved my issue... Now only if ShowEQ can be made to work again. =-)

~GaVak

GaVak
02-08-2003, 07:03 PM
I'm sorry, GaVak, I don't usually flame here, you can ask anyone...but your reason for asking this question eludes me. This is a thread about installing Qt 3.0.5, and as of January 3rd, ShowEQ requires Qt 3.0.5 or later. The FAQ even says to use 2.3.2, and though it is a bit out of date, it is still a later version than 2.1.1. (In fact, 2.3.2 will still work, it is just not preferred anymore.)

Flame away, it was a typo on my part. =-) I was trying to install 3.1.1 of QT. Will SEQ only work with the 3.0.5 version, or can the newer one be used?

~GaVak

Dedpoet
02-09-2003, 06:42 PM
Oficially, you need 3.0.5 or later. Lots of people are using 3.1.1, so we know that it works. Unoficially, 2.3.2 still works, but that could change at any time - per that post I linked above. For a long time, people were using 2.3.2 because there were performance issues with later versions, but those were fixed about a month ago. I use 3.0.5 and it works great for me.

miseaujeu
02-19-2003, 02:04 AM
I've read this forum through and through and I'm just not seeing anything that'll help my sad lil' mind solve this.

during my ./configure of Showeq I get the following ( oh so very common error )...

checking for Qt... yes
>> found version.: 3.1.1
>>> Headers......: /usr/local/qt/include/
>>>> Libraries...: /usr/lib/qt3/lib/
configure: error: Something wicked happened while trying to validate your Qt installation!!! Please verify your libraries...

...now. Running through the <SEARCH> command has yielded many answers saying for example that this comes from two possible solutions.
1) Didn't do a proper EXPORT=/usr/local/qt/ command before installing Qt... but I did do that.
2) not doing a ./configure -thread , immediately after ... which I also did.

I've tried going back again and again and I just can't fool/convince/fix this situation. of course I tried to go forward and compile SEQ with a config switched with --with-qt-libraries=/usr/local/qt/lib/ ..... or even --without-qt-validation. But of course the /lib/ isn't found, or the skipping validation just lets the errors slip through =(.

SEQ will still compile n' run, but I get no info or mapping even with patch applied.

SO, after all that all I really want to know is if there was somewhere that I could go in and just switch out the /usr/lib/qt3/lib/ ...with a /usr/local/qt/lib ... and then have a go? Probably not that simple...but thought I'd ask.

=/

Dedpoet
02-19-2003, 08:34 AM
Try running all of these export lines before doing your configure, make, and make install:

export QTDIR=/usr/local/qt
export PATH=$QTDIR/bin:$PATH
export MANPATH=$QTDIR/doc/man:$MANPATH
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$QTDIR/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
export CXX=g++3
export CC=gcc3

miseaujeu
02-19-2003, 06:49 PM
Thanks Deadpoet, but I've tried that as well =)... all to no avail.

I'm just thinkin' that a fresh install of redhat might be the thing ... but WOW do I not want to go through all that right now.

There just seems to be some confusion about which version of Qt that I'm using, more than likely just stored somewhere in a datafile that isn't getting updated

I've done the 'gmake clean' before starting again, but that doesn't seem to fix anything.

I'm beginning to suspect that it's related to the files ld.so.conf and ld.so.cache.... I was able to add my new Qt lib directory to the ld.so.conf file by "echo /usr/local/qt/lib >> ld.so.conf" HOWEVER
when I then go to run "./ldconfig -v" I get the following error of sorts

./ldconfig: Cannot stat /usr/local/qt/lib/libqt-mt.so: No such file or directory
./ldconfig: Cannot stat /usr/local/qt/lib/libqt-mt.so.3: No such file or directory
< .... buncha successful links ..... >
./ldconfig: Cannot stat /usr/local/qt/lib/libqt-mt.so.3.1: No such file or directory

clearly something is wrong there; but everytime that I clear out the /usr/local/qt/ directory and sub-directories and try again -- even with the gmake clean -- I get the same ol' story. I guess these files aren't there ... but WHY aren't they there... or where SHOULD they be? Just frustrating -- cuz I've really been trying to get this to work.

Any other advice? Thanks...

bleat
02-23-2003, 01:30 PM
I compiled the new CVS fine with Qt2.3.2 but not that i've tried 3.1.1 and 3.0.5 it won't work. I have exported everything for qt, etc.. i'll paste some info and see if anyone can figure out what is wrong.

checking for Qt... yes
>> Found version.: 3.0.5
>>> Headers......: /usr/local/qt/include/
>>>> Libraries...: /usr/local/qt/lib/
>>>>> Workable...: -*{ YES }*-
checking for Qt MOC... yes
checking if Qt compiles without flags... yes

rhuidean:~/showeq# gcc -v
Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-linux/3.0.3/specs
Configured with: ../src/configure -v --enable-languages=c,c++,java,f77,proto,objc --prefix=/usr --infodir=/share/info --mandir=/share/man --enable-shared --with-gnu-as --with-gnu-ld --with-system-zlib --enable-long-long --enable-nls --without-included-gettext --disable-checking --enable-threads=posix --enable-java-gc=boehm --with-cpp-install-dir=bin --enable-objc-gc i386-linux
Thread model: posix
gcc version 3.0.3 20011215 (Debian prerelease)

rhuidean:~/showeq# g++ -v
Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-linux/3.0.3/specs
Configured with: ../src/configure -v --enable-languages=c,c++,java,f77,proto,objc --prefix=/usr --infodir=/share/info --mandir=/share/man --enable-shared --with-gnu-as --with-gnu-ld --with-system-zlib --enable-long-long --enable-nls --without-included-gettext --disable-checking --enable-threads=posix --enable-java-gc=boehm --with-cpp-install-dir=bin --enable-objc-gc i386-linux
Thread model: posix
gcc version 3.0.3 20011215 (Debian prerelease)

Then durring SEQ compile..

g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -I/usr/local/qt/include -I. -DMAPDIR=\"/usr/local/share/showeq\" -DLOGDIR=\"/usr/local/share/showeq\" -I/usr/include/pcap -D_REENTRANT -O2 -Wall -g -ggdb -DDEBUG -finline-functions -DQT_THREAD_SUPPORT=1 -DDISPLAY_ICONS=false -DICON_DIR=\"/eq-icons/\" -c packet.cpp
packet.cpp: In member function `void EQPacket::dispatchZoneData(unsigned int,
uint8_t*, unsigned char)':
packet.cpp:1805: warning: comparison is always true due to limited range of
data type
packet.cpp:1805: warning: comparison is always true due to limited range of
data type
/usr/local/qt/bin/moc -nw packet.h -o m_packet.cpp

and then..

/usr/bin/ld: warning: libstdc++.so.5, needed by /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-linux/3.0.3/../../../libqt-mt.so, may conflict with libstdc++.so.3
interface.o: In function `EQInterface::setTheme(int)':
/root/showeq/showeq/src/interface.cpp:5199: undefined reference to `QPlatinumStyle::QPlatinumStyle()'
/root/showeq/showeq/src/interface.cpp:5205: undefined reference to `QWindowsStyle::QWindowsStyle()'
/root/showeq/showeq/src/interface.cpp:5214: undefined reference to `QCDEStyle::QCDEStyle(bool)'
/root/showeq/showeq/src/interface.cpp:5240: undefined reference to `QMotifStyle::QMotifStyle(bool)'
/root/showeq/showeq/src/interface.cpp:5248: undefined reference to `QSGIStyle::QSGIStyle(bool)'
/root/showeq/showeq/src/interface.cpp:5256: undefined reference to `QMotifStyle::QMotifStyle(bool)'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [showeq] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/root/showeq/showeq/src'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/showeq/showeq'
make: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2

it mentions a possible conflict but i'm not sure how to check or what to do. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

high_jeeves
02-23-2003, 02:26 PM
Search = good:

http://seq.sourceforge.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1550&highlight=QCDEStyle

/snicker
Might also want to check your QMotif settings...
/snicker

--Jeeves

Mullet_Man
02-24-2003, 09:31 PM
ive tryed this 4 times folloing your instructions to the letter and all i get is this error during gmake

In file included from kernel/qtaddons_x11.cpp:25:
kernel/qt_x11.h:64:22: X11/Xlib.h: No such file or directory
kernel/qt_x11.h:69:23: X11/Xutil.h: No such file or directory
kernel/qt_x11.h:70:21: X11/Xos.h: No such file or directory
kernel/qt_x11.h:71:23: X11/Xatom.h: No such file or directory
kernel/qt_x11.h:79:34: X11/extensions/shape.h: No such file or directory
gmake[2]: *** [.obj/release-shared-mt/qtaddons_x11.o] Error 1
gmake[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/qt/src'
gmake[1]: *** [sub-src] Error 2
gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/qt'
gmake: *** [init] Error 2
[root@localhost qt]#

then i tryed to do export CVSROOT=:pserver:[email protected] :/cvsroot/seq
cvs login

and i get and bash: cvs: command not found
:confused: totaly lost

high_jeeves
02-24-2003, 10:39 PM
ive tryed this 4 times folloing your instructions to the letter and all i get is this error during gmake

Try a 5th.. follow ALL the instructions... even search... you are missing a very important package from these instructions... follow them (as with all instructions) exactly...

--Jeeves

Mullet_Man
02-26-2003, 01:20 AM
ok i did not want to install RedHat but it looks like the disro i picked does not have the required moduals for installing SEQ. on install i checked every box to install everything. and no one seems to use ELX linux oh well i just ordered RedHAT 8.0 all will give anouther try when i get it and yes i use the dang search button no less then 15 times and did not come up with much :mad:

tryant
02-26-2003, 01:32 AM
high_jeeves
high-elf of a newbie clan

hey Flamer he is asking a question you may have answered this questioned a hundered times before or a thousand it may be in the README files or the INSTALL files or even posted but he is on a road with a bumpy road ( new guy ) he may not know were to begain or how to start or even a new linux user. you spent probly 20 minutes reading post found this guy here waisted about another 15 minutes on how to flame him and then a 3 minutes on typing it all out cuting out 2 minutes of yout time figureing out how to past and copy his text he wrote but thats ok time is limitless on the net for people like you..... so in that time you could have said a few words to guided him in the write path or a hint on what to do next maybe you ran into this problem before your self ( you will deney it ) but if you do thats ok there are many programs out there not even the MASTER FLAMER can figure out how it works or why and is stuck do me a favor if your going to flame a guy next time do it then tell him what he needs to know or maybe you don't even know the answer so you had to flame him a bit just to get your hard on for the day oh and yes I will be the one who will stick up for folks like him self ok.... so if you have any question feel free to ask I am sure you will get flammm I mean answred like you want :) have a nice day

as tryant always says.............
NICE GUYS MAY FINISH LAST BUT EVEN NICER GUYS MASTERBATE!

high_jeeves
02-26-2003, 10:41 AM
So, you answer his question tryant...

try using more than one sentance tho, otherwise it will be as unreadable as your previous post...

This is as simple as it gets.. the readme lists all the packages you need to install... install them all... not just the ones you like, or the ones that smell nice.. all of them...

--Jeeves

Dedpoet
02-26-2003, 12:12 PM
For those of you who, like me, desperately wanted to read tyrant's post for his in-depth contribution to the ShowEQ community, but were unable to do so because they don't speak the language in which it was written, I offer the following translation:

Hey, flamer: Mullet_Man is asking a question. You may have answered this questioned one hundered times before, or perhaps even one thousand. It may be in the README files or the INSTALL files or even posted here in the forum, but he is on a bumpy road (he is a new guy). He may not know were to begin or how to start. He may even be a new linux user.

You spent probably 20 minutes reading posts, found this guy here, wasted about another 15 minutes flaming him, and then 3 minutes on typing it all out. You spent 2 minutes of your time figuring out how to paste and copy his text, but thats ok; time is limitless on the net for people like you.

So in that time you could have said a few words to guide him down the right path or given him a hint on what to do next. Maybe you have run into this problem before yourself (you will deny it), but if you do, that's ok. There are many programs out there that not even the MASTER FLAMER can figure out.

Do me a favor if you're going to flame a guy. Next time do it, then tell him what he needs to know. Maybe you don't even know the answer, so you had to flame him a bit just to get your hard-on for the day. Oh, and yes I will be the one who will stick up for folks like him, ok?

So if you have any questions, feel free to ask. I am sure you will get them answered properly.

Have a nice day. :)

I'm here to help.
-Ded

Iam_Walrus
02-26-2003, 12:21 PM
You take the fun out of life, DP...

Dedpoet
02-26-2003, 01:06 PM
Hehe, sorry. My server room, which is also my office is currently being re-cabled. So bored...

EnvyEyes
02-26-2003, 02:36 PM
I never knew Babel Fish (http://babelfish.altavista.com/) had a translator for "angry java-junkie with broken fingers" =~)

tryant
02-26-2003, 02:58 PM
Sorry for the Grammer. at 160 wpm I do have a few bit of missspells and grammer corections to be made. but at the time I had a game to play. Beta testing Shadowbane.

But in good terms I will post better grammer for people can read a little better. it some times does take good grammewr and spelling to be heard, Well maybe for most.

Tryant

high_jeeves
02-26-2003, 03:01 PM
DeadPoet: Can we get a translate on this one to, please? Thanks..

--Jeeves

smoothielover
02-27-2003, 02:36 AM
followed steps as required but i get heaps of undefined __rethows

any clue what causes this?

oh this is running the ./configure line for qt-x11-free-qt3.1.1.1