PDA

View Full Version : is this a "hub"?

pris
01-05-2003, 12:32 PM
hello, i've spent an hour or more researching to no avail. i was wondering if any recognizes the piece of hardware i'm using. i've lost the manual... i'm using a SoHo 8port 10mbps ethernet hub. it has an uplink, eight ports, and zero buttons. this is all the information i have on this. below is a link to a photo of the equipment (sorry for poor quality ). here is my question to anyone who recognizes this hub: is it a switch labeled a hub?

showeq loads and detects no everquest clients.
my setup is this.

adsl modem --> soho hub --> seq / eq

the diagram might be incorrect, i'm not good with that shit, but the adsl modem is plugged in uplink on the hub, and the eth0 device in linux is on promisc mode

i believe i'm either in error on my network configuration, or my hub is not really a hub.

i guess i'm asking is this hub a repeater or could it be a switch-based hub?

sorry if my terminology is not correct

http://ebay3.ipixmedia.com/abc/M28/_EBAY_ef532d85decd7138091a05a2830b4262/i-1.JPG
image of soho hub

p.s. to anyone reading this i appreciate and thanks for your time.
p.p.s. if my "hub" is the issue could anyone recommend an inexpensive hub that works with showeq.

fryfrog
01-05-2003, 02:17 PM
i don't recognize that hub at all.

my suggestion would be to goto the computer store and see if they have anything labeled a "hub" (that is not made by linksys). then inquire about their return policy. take it home, try it... if it doesn't work bring it back and say "this really isn't a true hub, k thx bye" and try another one.

BlueAdept
01-05-2003, 03:54 PM
Im not well versed with ADSL, but I know a lot of people have problems with them trying to set them up for SEQ.

A few questions:
1. Does you windows machine need software for the modem to connect? If it requires software, it may not work (ie AOL ADSL).

2. Do you know if your adsl modem is actually a router/modem or just a modem?

3. What do you log into to setup your network? The modem, software or the SoHo?

4. Can you ping your linux box? Can you ping your windows box from the linux one? Can you ping an outside internet address from your linux machine?

I have heard of SoHo Routers but I see they also make Switching Hubs (I didnt find anything about true hubs). Since it is only 10 and not 10/100, I would say that it is probably either a true hub or a router.

Your problem, based on what little network information you gave, would lead me to believe that it is a router and not a hub.

My friend had to set up his like this:

adsl modem
|
router
|
true hub
| |
win linux

He logs into his router via webpage (like http://10.0.0.1) and it also has all his dialup information that it uses to connect. There is no software for the adsl on his windows machine any more. You need to check with your provider to make sure this is possible.

pris
01-05-2003, 06:50 PM
thanks for the replies.

repsonse to BA,
1.) The windows machine uses software to connect to the net, it is not dhcp based. I use robbert schlabbach's pppoe driver to connect. My service is Epix, a Verizon clone.

2.) The modem is a speedstream dsl external modem, not a router.

3.) I'm not sure I understand this question, all the network configurations are done in software.

4.) I ensured both machines can ping each other, also, the linux machine connects to the net, can ping other sites, and can resolv host names. By the way, I use a digitial based e-net card on the linux box with an old tulip driver loaded as a module at boot, currently trying get it at kernel level because I hate mods. I connect through pppoe and pppd.

I don't know anything about routers. I'm going to read about it after this post.

I have the dsl modem hooked into the uplink on the hub, and the linux machine and the windows machine plugged into other ports. When I wish to use the internet on each, I simply do a double login to my isp. I know only a few isp's in the world allow this.

BA, are you saying your friend has some gateway setup? or some odd dhcp config, I don't understand how he logs in via http. I'm going to assume you mean masquerade.

Does this reply help any?

Cryonic
01-05-2003, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by pris

1.) The windows machine uses software to connect to the net, it is not dhcp based. I use robbert schlabbach's pppoe driver to connect. My service is Epix, a Verizon clone.

good luck getting SEQ to work. The problem is that the EQ packets are being encapsulated by the PPPOE connection and can't be seen/decoded by SEQ.

BlueAdept
01-05-2003, 08:03 PM
Since your windows machine uses software, you will probably have to buy an asdl router.

Cronic is right, your only hope is if your provider can be set to connect through a router. You need to confirm this before you buy a router.

BTW most routers have a "webpage" in which it allows you to enter in your login info and dialup number (if that is how your adsl is). It also allows you to do NAT.

The reason why you would still need a hub connected to the router is because routers dont pass the packets between the ports.

pris
01-05-2003, 09:28 PM
Thanks for the super fast reply Fry, Ba, and Cryonic. Each of you have been more than helpful and have personally answered each of my questions. Thanks again. --Pris

pris
01-06-2003, 09:55 PM
seq is in operation
thanks again guys

the setup i used--instead of spending $80 on a router and new hub i setup a linux machine as nat/masquerade and running seq on that as well, it works great. the next step is learn the interface and try to get mob names displayed

fryfrog
01-07-2003, 10:01 AM
good call on the adsl pppoe thing, can't believe i missed it ;p

you will need a memory sniffer running on your windows eq box to get mob names.

BlueAdept
01-07-2003, 01:09 PM
Good going. My friends bellsouth adsl didnt support linux dialup so he had to go with the router.

You will still probably have problems as fryfrog stated. I believe someone made a program called udpecho. I it is at http://www.freewebz.com/winseq/

I dont know if that will help or not.

pris
01-07-2003, 08:51 PM
the udpecho runs but the 'unknown spawn name' problem is not solved yet.

one other thing that boggles me.
showeq outputs "unable to load /usr/../../itemdata.dbm"

i have berkeley database 3 installed, and gdbm-devel.

i'm thinking this may be related to the configure script, which outputs, "compiling with Berkeley DB3: No"

i looked in the automatic makefiles to try and fix this, and searched all over the place but i don't know how to handle this one, any ideas?

p.s. to readers, udpecho does not yet run on winxp but works on nt/9x

Cryonic
01-07-2003, 11:55 PM
let's see, db3 is for Berkeley Database support, so maybe db3-devel is what you need to get SEQ to compile with support for it? gdbm is a different package of libraries.

Virusmaster
01-10-2003, 10:13 PM
Wow. So much helpful info and not a single post by Mr. Suspicious. He must have been too busy "reading the F'in manual" to be helpful :)

If you can't get your seq box to see your EQ packets there is a packet exporter out there somewhere that can send them from your windows machine to your linux box. Not sure if this is a safe thing to do, but I bet not many folks are running it these days, so I doubt sony cares much about it. Might also work for those of us with wireless notebooks running SEQ, but haven't tried yet.