PDA

View Full Version : New Spawns Showing as Unknown?

Hobo
01-05-2003, 11:12 PM
I did a search but couldn't find anything exactly like this. If I missed it feel free to thrash me and point me in the right direction. :)

Anyway, every now and then when new spawns pop they don't show up or they show up as unknowns. For example, while doing the Burrower in The Deep last week each new wave of worms failed to show up at all on SEQ. Then on the final wave the parasite spawn showed up but it was an unknown. I've tried messing with some of the different options and settings inclusing the use of Alt-R to rebuild the spawn list (it sdoesn't seem to do anything).

Any ideas what is causing this and how to "fix" it?

Hobo

Cryonic
01-06-2003, 12:11 AM
Most likely, SEQ is missing the actual spawn packets and so is only showing the unknowns when it happens to catch the movement packet for a spawnID that it hasn't seen yet. Another possibility, it is missing the spawn packet and is assuming the movement packet is a false echo update for a spawnID that has already been killed and removed from the zone.

Dedpoet
01-06-2003, 07:58 AM
There have been a couple of threads on this in the past few weeks, and I actually finally had this happen to me this weekend for the first time. On 2 different occassions, in 2 different zones, running Maggotboy's sniffer with latest libEQ.a and CVS compiled with Qt 3.0.5 as now instructed, I new spawns would just stop decoding. Current decoded spawns were all ok, but new would always show up as unknown. The first time I had been in the zone only a few minutes, the second time was more than 2 hours.

I have yet to see an explanation or a fix for this, but I can tell you camping or just zoning makes it work again. Someone proposed that the zone key may be changing, but I don't think that's the case. I am currently watching for this and seeing if I can tie it to an event to try to track it down.

fryfrog
01-06-2003, 08:59 AM
i can confirm this, i am using maggot's sniffer but qt-2.3.2 and after a while of being in one zone, new spawns stop decoding. i can also confirm that camping or zoning fixes it (for a bit). i wonder if using a different sniffer would help... but i don't see how it would.

BlueAdept
01-06-2003, 10:08 AM
I have had this problem for a long time now. Way before the key sniffers.

After a couple hours in the zone, you will start to get a bunch of unknowns. Originally I had also thought that it was a new key being issued but now with the key sniffers I can verify that it is not a new key. I use keyring.

Hobo
01-06-2003, 01:58 PM
Just to add a bit more information...

I am not using Maggot's sniffer, fwiw. I am using qt 3.0.5. Sometimes the new spawns don't even show up as unknowns. They don't show at all...period. For example, while camping a spawn of 6 mobs, once the 6 were cleared, the re-pops wouldn't show up at all on SEQ. Other times they would show up but only as unknowns.

This probably clouds the picture a bit but I thought it was important to mention.

high_jeeves
01-06-2003, 01:59 PM
That is only because ShowEQ only detects an unknown spawn because it moves. Static spawns dont EVER show up as unknown, because they never move.

--Jeeves

Scotty
01-07-2003, 12:45 AM
I've had this happen to me before a long time ago. Although after I deleted all the showeq files on my computer and did a totally new recompile I never had that problem again. Just the manual highlighting of the NPC drop down box in mob list 2 (because not all mobs show up untill I refresh it by reselecting NPC's, and then the other like 1/8th of the mobs that weren't listed show up).

Before I deleted and did a total remake of showeq I was using qt-2.3.2 and maggotboys 2nd stealth keysniffer.

z26o
01-07-2003, 08:48 AM
I have the same issues. Spawns stop being decoded after about 2 hours in a zone (+/- some).

I am using maggotboys v2 and qt 2.3.2 on seq ver 4.3.3. I have tried the VB sniffer and entered it manually with the same results, so I'm not convinced its a sniffer problem.

I use the spell window extensively and have noticed that when this occurs I no longer get spell information either.

Anyone notice if the new build corrected this?

-z-

Dedpoet
01-07-2003, 11:03 AM
Confirmed that it still exists in the new build as of Sunday night.

guice
01-09-2003, 04:42 PM
It starts happening when SEQ gets a session close packet. Much lik it thinks you're zoning.

Not sure why it gets it, since you're still in zone for and no where near a zone line through them times, but it happens. Happens to me alot, and every time I got a session close packet and SEQ sits there waiting for rezone into.

Cryonic
01-09-2003, 05:41 PM
session close? Are you by chance running SEQ with Session Tracking turned on? Try turning it off and see what happens.

Virusmaster
01-09-2003, 06:29 PM
I have had this (or something simular) happen on a few occasions. I have my key sniffer set up to write to a file and I press F12 to fill in my maps. So far I have been able to get the zone decoding again just by pressing the F12 key. Seems as if they are changing the key every now and then, even if you don't zone. I could be wrong though...