PDA

View Full Version : Map and loc in zone only version?

Outlaw76
01-08-2003, 03:54 PM
Since Sony made it so that you need a packet sniffer to make SEQ work properly I've been using it in it's diminished capacity.

Though I miss the days of viewing everything in zone by level I've found that I can do alright with the knowledge I've gained playing the game for a few years. I use the map as a serious crutch though.

With the EQ going to a windowed mode in the near future I wonder if it would be practical for someone to make a small app that just monitors LOC and map location for windows. Or, barring Windows dev. One that will do just that for Linux. It would save a lot of overhead.

I am not skilled enough to do this myself, I was wondering if anyone has done this, or would be willing to give it a shot.

Thanks!

Cryonic
01-08-2003, 06:58 PM
You mean like how SEQ works now if you don't put a key sniffer on your Windows box?

Outlaw76
01-08-2003, 08:03 PM
Well kinda like that, but without the stuff that doesn't work.
I mean, do I realy want to see that there are 75 mobs in the zone with names like [email protected] ? probably not. I know I can undock that feature, but that doesn't stop it from taking up CPU cycles.

Right now if I leave show eq on for a very long time my system bogs down. I'd love something smaller. If it was window's based than I could run it in the background. I've found I dont' need all the bells and whistles. So I guess I'm asking for 'SEQ-Light' :D

Cryonic
01-08-2003, 10:56 PM
Actually if you turn off certain windows they seem to stop doing anything. Turn off spell tracking, cast a bunch of spells then open spell tracking window back up, nothing is there. Same thing if you only have 1 of the 5 possible maps open, the others eat up no MIPs since they aren't active.

throx
01-09-2003, 10:11 AM
What is the general opinion here on a GPS-only program that runs under Windows? It would be kinda trivial to write one really as there's very few packet types you need to capture to detect zoning and position...

Is any Windows program bad, or only ones that decrypt the "sensitive" data that Sony encrypts...

Jel321
01-09-2003, 10:26 AM
It would be kinda trivial to write one really as there's very few packet types you need to capture to detect zoning and position...

I wouldnt be so sure of this anymore....

http://seq.sourceforge.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2714

Edit: Oops yeah bad click in there i guess.... ;)

throx
01-09-2003, 10:32 AM
I think you mean this link:

http://seq.sourceforge.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2645

And yes, you have a good point there. The question is whether everything is encrypted as well or just zlib compressed, which wasn't made clear from that post.

LordFeshlak
01-09-2003, 10:36 AM
If you're just looking for a GPS like map that shows your current location when you hit /loc, you might just wanna look at EQCompanion (http://home.inreach.com/kai/EQCompanion/) . Parses your log, so doesn't depend on whatever Sony decides to do to the poor packets going over the wire :)

throx
01-09-2003, 10:37 AM
EQCompanion would be nice if it read the mapfiend maps and did z-axis filtering. Might be just as easy, if not easier, to write something like that.