PDA

View Full Version : when to be touchy feely

spectre
01-10-2003, 09:43 AM
ok, when we get new updates from CVS, and we dont want to re-build the whole thing, what do we "touch"? the updated files? the .o files, Naggy's tail in hopes we dont aggro? i'd love some clarification on this.

Mr. Suspicious
01-10-2003, 06:18 PM
ok, when we get new updates from CVS, and we dont want to re-build the whole thing...

.... then you don't get to use a functional ShowEQ.

Dedpoet
01-11-2003, 02:08 AM
The only time you wouldn't have to rebuild everything is if you made some small changes to some source files that didn't tie in to other files. On any significant update, like those after an EQ patch, you have no choice but to rebuild. Note that doesn't necessarily mean a full re-download, just a recompile. I have seen a lot of threads lately where people are completely re-installing every time there is an update, which makes me sad. Just "cvs -z3 update", export your QTDIR, "make -f Makefile.dist", then "./configure && make && make install." Yes, this could take a while if you have a slow machine, which I assume is why you are asking, but that's the fastest way to do it.

Mr. Suspicious
01-11-2003, 07:20 AM
"./configure && make && make install."

This is the part he is referring to as: "we dont want to re-build the whole thing"

He should read the documentation (yes, ít's been said a zillion times already) the INSTALL.newbies file contains the correct steps to update ShowEQ and yes, you need to "rebuild" the thing (using ./configure && make && make install) EVERY time if you want to update.

casey
01-11-2003, 11:27 PM
just reconfiguring and make isnt enough all the time. if any of the Makefile.am's, configure.in, acinclude.m4, etc get changed, you need to re-run make -f Makefile.dist as well (unless you are configuring with maintainer mode enabled).

spectre
01-16-2003, 11:15 AM
Thanks much for the replies. i now have a better understanding.