PDA

View Full Version : redhat8 and new seq

pantera
01-10-2003, 11:31 PM
Has anyone else had a problem with updating the new showeq on a Redhat 8 out-of-the-box type install? I ran the same update script I've been using for a while, and now it no longer works. I get the following error as soon as I start to make:

In file included from spawnlist.h:47,
from interface.h:33,
from main.cpp:22:
spawnlistcommon.h:84: `virtual int SpawnListItem::compare(QListViewItem*, int,
bool) const' and `virtual int SpawnListItem::compare(QListViewItem*, int,
bool) const' cannot be overloaded

Looks like a problem with QT, I've been fiddling around but no luck. Anyone else have this problem?

- pantera

Cryonic
01-11-2003, 02:05 AM
We don't support updates done via scripts. Read the announcements forum for relevant changes regarding SEQ.

pantera
01-11-2003, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by Cryonic
We don't support updates done via scripts. Read the announcements forum for relevant changes regarding SEQ.

Actually it's just a script I made (only a few lines), I just mentioned it becuase I wanted show that I'm doing the exact same thing I've always done. I do know linux fairly well, I've never had a problem compiling showeq in the years I've used it, I'm just stuck on this problem for some odd reason. I'll keep mucking around with it anyhow.
If anyone also has this problem let me know incase I figure it out, I'll let you know:)

pantera

Dedpoet
01-11-2003, 06:21 PM
We would really need to see the script then to help you, since we have no way of knowing what it is you're trying to do.

The update directions in the FAQ are accurate, so give that a shot, and if it works (no reason it shouldn't), change your script to match.

pantera
01-11-2003, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by Dedpoet
We would really need to see the script then to help you, since we have no way of knowing what it is you're trying to do.

The update directions in the FAQ are accurate, so give that a shot, and if it works (no reason it shouldn't), change your script to match.

cd /seq/showeq
make distclean
cvs -d:pserver:[email protected]:/cvsroot/seq login
cvs -z3 update
cvs -d:pserver:[email protected]:/cvsroot/seq logout
export CC=gcc
export CXX=g++
export QTDIR=/usr/lib/qt-3.0.5
make -f Makefile.dist
./configure
make
make install

Nothing special, Redhat 8 comes only with gcc3 and g++3 (called just gcc and g++) so no need to muck around with telling qt that it needs gcc3 right? I've also tried compiling QT from scratch and I still get the same error. I'm honestly stuck, I've never had a dead ends compiling showeq before, any problems I've had have always been answered here already!:) Could it be that I've messed up my installed version of gcc somehow? by the way the compile craps out so early it also reminds me over trying to compile c++ code with a c compiler?

Anyways thanks for your time:)

pantera

just incase:

[root@localhost seq]# rpm -qa | grep gcc
gcc-g77-3.2-7
gcc-java-3.2-7
gcc-c++-3.2-7
gcc-3.2-7
libgcc-3.2-7
gcc-gnat-3.2-7

[root@localhost seq]# rpm -qa | grep qt
qt-devel-3.0.5-17
qt-Xt-3.0.5-17
qt-3.0.5-17
qt-designer-3.0.5-17

nobrain
01-13-2003, 07:47 AM
SEQ won't work with the qt-3.0.5 shipped with redhat, I read somewhere else (a redhat 7.3 thread) that the RPM's shipped with redhat are not:
compiled with gcc3
configured with the -thread flag
I simply just downloaded 3.1.1 and followed eggman's VERY nice guide:
http://seq.sourceforge.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2690

Couldn't be easier.

Cryonic
01-13-2003, 10:57 AM
nobrain, RH8 has everything compiled with gcc3.2.

datadog
01-13-2003, 01:32 PM
i built SEQ with the canned QT 3.05 from RH8... Works like a champ.

I know of a few others with the same setup...

If there are issues with this setup, they are not obvious...

CyberT
01-23-2003, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by datadog
i built SEQ with the canned QT 3.05 from RH8... Works like a champ.

Can you perhaps show your install process? I have RH8 everything install and SEQ is not working for me. I have installed SEQ many times and without fail, it works. Except this time. See here (http://seq.sourceforge.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2824) for details.

fee
01-23-2003, 09:50 AM
Pantera,

I'm going on a hunch here, but a while back someone posted a "quick" fix to the qt3 performance problems. Did you apply this patch?

I recently patched in some code to fix the qt3 performance problems and the only reason I can imagine you are getting this error is that you have that patch applied.

Basically the error means you have two declarations in spawnlistcommon.h for a function called
virtual int SpawnListItem::compare(QListViewItem*, int, bool) const Here are a couple ideas to verify this.

1)
# cvs -z3 diff -c /seq/showeq/src/spawnlistcommon.h

and

# cvs -z3 diff -c /seq/showeq/src/spawnlistcommon.cpp

If this command returns any output at all it means the file is not exactly like the cvs copy

2) when you perform a cvs update, if the individual files show output like the following, then the files are not identical to cvs.

# cvs -z3 update
M src/spawnlistcommon.h

Note the "M", this means your local copy has been modified. Likewise, if a "C" is returned it means there is a change in your file that contains a conflict and cvs can not patch the file.

Solution
rm the offending file(s) and perform a cvs update.

Please do a me a favor if this fixes your problem, report back here in this thread what the solution was. Also I would appreciate it if you could assist atleast one new showeq user, IRL or here on the boards.

Thanks
fee