PDA

View Full Version : qt-3.0.5 Compile bombout

Always Curious
01-12-2003, 01:52 AM
Hello,

Was just going through the Newbie.Install and was updating the QT from 2.3.0 to 3.0.5 since SEQ does not work anymore with the old QT. Everything was going fine until about 3 hours into the Complile I recieved the following compile error:

gmake[4]: *** No rule to make target `/usr/lib/qt-3.0.5//include/qurl.h`', needed by listboxeditorimpl.o' Stop.
gmake[4]: Leaving directory `/usr/lib/qt-3.0.5/tools/designer/designer'
gmake[3]: ***[sub-designer] Error 2
gmake[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/lib/qt-3.0.5/tools/designer'
gmake[2]: ***[sub-designer] Error 2
gmake[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/lib/qt-3.0.5/tools'
gmake[1]: *** {sub-tools] Error 2
gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/lib/qt-3.0.5'
gmake: ***[init] Error 2

I am missing something somewhere obviously besides a brain. Its late....I hope one of you more experienced people can help me out here.

Thanks much,
Curious

Cryonic
01-12-2003, 03:04 AM
What came before gmake spat out the gmake[4] lines?

Always Curious
01-12-2003, 11:41 AM
This is what came out before gmake[4] statement:

g++3 -c -pipe -Wall -W -02 - D_REENTRANT -DQT_INTERNAL_XML -DQT_INTERNAL_WORKSPACE -DQT_INTERNAL_ICONVIEW -DDESIGNER -DQT_NO_DEBUG -DQT_THREAD_SUPPORT -DQT_SHARED -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I../shared -I../uilib -I../../../src/3rdparty/zlib -I/usr/lib/qt-3.0.5//include -I/usr/x11r6/include -I/usr/x11r6/include -I.moc/release-shared-mt/ -I/usr/lib/qt-3.0.5//mkspecs/linux-g++ -o hierarchyview.o hierarchyview.cpp

Didnt really appear the same in the command window and what it looks like in the thread here on the forum because of the word wrap. I hope this helps as I am still lost as to what to do about it. I am running RH7.1 btw if that helps any. Is the highest operating system I can run on the PC I am running it on unfortunately.

Thanks,
Always Curious

Cryonic
01-12-2003, 07:55 PM
/usr/lib/qt-3.0.5// include/qurl.h
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This is kind of suspicious. It has an extra / and what appears to be a space between the second / and include. I wonder if it is bombing out because of the Shell variables that are setup before you compile it.

Always Curious
01-12-2003, 10:06 PM
Ooops. Typo on my part Cryonic. There is no space there on the screen. I actually typed all that out. I should have triple checked it but it was late when it bombed. Sorry man for the confusion. There is a problem but the space between the second / and include is not it (. Has been edited to alleviate my mistake. I am interested in your statement about the extra "/" though. Should that NOT be there....and if so....how would I go about getting that outta there since it so far down into the compile sequence.

Curious

Cryonic
01-12-2003, 11:07 PM
What did you export as your shell variables before you started the compile?

QTDIR=/usr/lib/qt3
PATH=$QTDIR/bin:$PATH
MANPATH=$QTDIR/doc/man:$MANPATH
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$QTDIR/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
export QTDIR PATH MANPATH LD_LIBRARY_PATH

eggman
01-13-2003, 07:34 AM
"QTDIR=/usr/lib/qt3"

If you are running a distribution such as RedHat 7.3, 8.0 etc. There will already be a version of QT installed here and you will be stomping the current installation. All of the symlinks that point to your working libraries will be killed as will everything in $QTDIR/bin.

I would recomend using something more descriptive than "qt3".

Cheers,
-Egg

Always Curious
01-13-2003, 08:30 AM
Typed everything as it appeared in the Newbie.Install guide:

cd /usr/lib/qt-3.0.5
export QTDIR=/usr/lib/qt-3.0.5/
export PATH=$QTDIR/bin:$PATH
export MANPATH=$QTDIR/man:$MANPATH
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=QTDIR/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
./configure -thread
gmake (this is where it ended up bombing after 3 hours)

Curious

Cryonic
01-13-2003, 10:33 AM
Since I installed the system myself there was no QT3 :). I installed QT 2.3.2 from src.rpm so it was compiled with gcc3.

Notice the difference between my QTDIR and yours, Always Curious? Try removing the ending / from the variable and see if that helps any.

QTDIR=/usr/lib/qt3/

will make $PATH hold /usr/lib/qt3//bin

whereas

QTDIR=/usr/lib/qt3

will make $PATH hold /usr/lib/qt3/bin

See the difference?

Always Curious
01-13-2003, 01:04 PM
Yes Cryonic I thought that was odd also but being I am a newbie and had the qt-2.3.2 install from a RPM I have never done this part manually before. I have gone back and set the varible as you said. It was now in the ./configure -thread stage. Will see where this gets me this time. I appreciate your patience and assistance in this matter. If this does work this way the Newbie.install should probably be changed to reflect the following line as such:

export QTDIR=/usr/lib/qt-3.0.5

instead of

export QTDIR=/usr/lib/qt-3.0.5/

Thanks,
Curious

Always Curious
01-13-2003, 06:47 PM
Cryonic great call....made it all the way through the Compile. I am now into the gmake install routine. However, it has now bombed as well. Here are the details:

cp -f -p "../doc/html/layout1.png" "/usr/local/qt/doc/html/"
strip "/usr/local/qt/doc/html/"
strip /usr/local/qt/doc/html/: Is a directory
gmake[2]: ***[install_docs] Error 1
gmake[2]: Leaving directory /usr/lib/qt-3.0.5/src
gmake[1]: ***[src-install] Error 2
gmake[1]: Leaving directory /usr/lib/qt-3.0.5
gmake: *** [install] Error 2

Lost once again. Not sure why I am having these problems while others are not. I am following the Newbie.install to the letter.

Looking for help once again,
Curious

Cryonic
01-13-2003, 08:27 PM
hmm, I skipped that step and the libs and stuff still ended up where they should be

untarred QT3 into /usr/lib/qt3
setup the variables and then only did ./configure && make -j4

/usr/lib/qt3/lib holds the libraries
/usr/lib/qt3/bin holds the executables (like moc)

etc...