PDA

View Full Version : 'Drake9 & qt-x11-free-3.1.1 ??'s

Poncho
01-13-2003, 02:14 PM
Been using RH7.3 for some time and am currently up and running perfectly with qt-3.1.1 (except for spell casting errors etc). Thinking that I've been through the RH installs more than I care to remember, and not having problems, I figured I'd give Mandrake 9.0 a shot. 3 days and 40 (guessing) trys later, I cant for the life of me get 3.0.5+ compiled.

I've done the search for anything remotely resembling "Mandrake", and took special care to completely follow such guides as Codepig's: http://seq.sourceforge.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1990&highlight=mandrake

--and a couple other earlier version 'Drake install guides. Did full "Development" and "KDE" packages *only, as well as added the 3 suggested by Codepig in the above link.

I've read the the boxed qt3.0.5mdk isnt very SEQ friendly, so I decided to slap 3.1.1 in there as I have with my RH7.3. Snagged qt-x11-free-3.1.1.tar.gz, extracted, changed g++ to g++-3.2 etc, etc. (I used # gcc <tab>) in Konsole to figure out current gcc versions boxed with 'Drake 9.0 - basically did just like I have done for RH7.3, with the expection of RH7.3 running g++3 instead of 3.2.

# ./configure -thread (no problems-except 2 files saying I needed the Enterprise edition) didnt think i was using Handspring anyhow...

# gmake

Takes a dump within 30 seconds. Some "missing/kernal/x11 etc etc errors -- I'll post exact code if it would help needed once I get home.

I dont know how many others are messing with 'Drake 9.0, and was wondering if this is something much more simple that I am overlooking. My best guess is that I'm missing some packages (even though I've taken hours making sure to follow and install according to the Mandrake 8.2 install guide)

This is my first experience with Mandrake. I've never had a problem with Redhat that I couldnt solve by reading these forums -- this is a different story for me. Done the searches - read the new NEWBIE.install (1.4 I think) from Mr. Suspicious, done RH7.3 qt3.1.1 succesfully on 2 different harddrives without a glitch, ripped half my hair out with this Mandrake qt compile--

Any help or hints/searchstrings as to the right direction for the proper ManDrake 9.0 install/qt compile above what I have covered would be greatly appreciated. I'll keep plugging away in the meantime, and will follow up with the exact error code if needed. Anyone currently using 'Drake 9.0 with qt3.0.5+, please let me know what you did ;)

Thanks in advance for your time~

Poncho

Mr. Suspicious
01-13-2003, 03:48 PM
[quote[Takes a dump within 30 seconds. Some "missing/kernal/x11 etc etc errors -- I'll post exact code if it would help [/quote]

Would help. The general feeling I get is that you are missing libraries.

Cryonic
01-13-2003, 04:11 PM
Mandrake 9, like RH8 should have qt3+ (3.05, 06, etc...) and have it compiled with -thread and gcc3+.

Poncho
01-13-2003, 06:54 PM
Cryonic- aye, think it has qt-3.05-7 or something like that right out of the box...read that it's kinda "quarky" as far as SEQ goes though, so decided to go for the qt-3.1.1 like I used for RedHat7.3.

Mr Suspicious- read your post, went home and decided to do a fresh Mandrake install from scratch using only "KDE". Completed that, then went through "configure" & "install software". Went through each and EVERY package listed under your latest INSTALL.newbie file. Found a few -devel versions still listed and installed those. Snagged qt-3.1.1 verbatim per your instructions (like Redhat).
# ./configure -thread (worked perfectly except for the 2 Motiff files wanting the "Enterprise Edition")
# gmake (working like a champ so far)

I will post again after complete with full Mandrake 9.0 Install with qt-x11-free-3.1.1 instructions for those interested...hopefully my next post will be a happy one. I mean this isnt rocket science here afterall.

Thanks for the fast responses. Something was telling me I was missing a couple libraries as well...just couldnt put a finger on them.

....to be continued...

~Poncho

Poncho
01-13-2003, 08:18 PM
cd assistant/lib && gmake -f Makefile
gmake[3]: Entering directory `/usr/lib/qt-3.1.1/tools/assistant/lib'
/usr/lib/qt-3.1.1/bin/moc ../../../include/qassistantclient.h -o .moc/release-shared-mt/moc_qassistantclient.cpp
g++-3.2 -c -pipe -Wall -W -O2 -D_REENTRANT -DQT_INTERNAL_NETWORK -DQT_NO_DEBUG -DQT_THREAD_SUPPORT -DQT_SHARED -I/usr/lib/qt-3.1.1/mkspecs/linux-g++ -I. -I../../../include -I.moc/release-shared-mt/ -o .obj/release-shared-mt/moc_qassistantclient.o .moc/release-shared-mt/moc_qassistantclient.cpp
test -d ../../../lib/ || mkdir -p ../../../lib/
rm -f libqassistantclient.a
ar cqs libqassistantclient.a .obj/release-shared-mt/qassistantclient.o .obj/release-shared-mt/moc_qassistantclient.o
rm -f ../../../lib/libqassistantclient.a
mv -f libqassistantclient.a ../../../lib/
gmake[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/lib/qt-3.1.1/tools/assistant/lib'
cd designer && gmake -f Makefile
gmake[3]: Entering directory `/usr/lib/qt-3.1.1/tools/designer'
cd uic && gmake -f Makefile
gmake[4]: Entering directory `/usr/lib/qt-3.1.1/tools/designer/uic'
gmake[4]: Nothing to be done for `first'.
gmake[4]: Leaving directory `/usr/lib/qt-3.1.1/tools/designer/uic'
cd uilib && gmake -f Makefile
gmake[4]: Entering directory `/usr/lib/qt-3.1.1/tools/designer/uilib'
/usr/lib/qt-3.1.1/bin/moc ../designer/database2.h -o .moc/release-shared-mt/moc_database2.cpp
g++-3.2 -c -pipe -Wall -W -O2 -D_REENTRANT -fPIC -DQT_INTERNAL_XML -DQ_TEMPLATE_EXTERN=extern -DRESOURCE -DQT_NO_DEBUG -DQT_THREAD_SUPPORT -DQT_SHARED -I/usr/lib/qt-3.1.1/mkspecs/linux-g++ -I. -I../shared -I../../../include -I.moc/release-shared-mt/ -o .obj/release-shared-mt/moc_database2.o .moc/release-shared-mt/moc_database2.cpp
test -d ../../../lib/ || mkdir -p ../../../lib/
rm -f libqui.so.1.0.0 libqui.so libqui.so.1 libqui.so.1.0
g++-3.2 -shared -Wl,-soname,libqui.so.1 -Wl,-rpath,/usr/lib/qt-3.1.1/lib -o libqui.so.1.0.0 .obj/release-shared-mt/qwidgetfactory.o .obj/release-shared-mt/domtool.o .obj/release-shared-mt/uib.o .obj/release-shared-mt/database.o .obj/release-shared-mt/moc_database2.o -Wl,-rpath,/usr/lib/qt-3.1.1/lib -L/usr/lib/qt-3.1.1/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lqt-mt -lXrender -lXinerama -lXext -lX11 -lm -lSM -lICE -ldl -lpthread
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lqt-mt
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
gmake[4]: *** [../../../lib/libqui.so.1.0.0] Error 1
gmake[4]: Leaving directory `/usr/lib/qt-3.1.1/tools/designer/uilib'
gmake[3]: *** [sub-uilib] Error 2
gmake[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/lib/qt-3.1.1/tools/designer'
gmake[2]: *** [sub-designer] Error 2
gmake[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/lib/qt-3.1.1/tools'
gmake[1]: *** [sub-tools] Error 2
gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/lib/qt-3.1.1'
gmake: *** [install] Error 2
[root@localhost qt-3.1.1]#

<< DOH >>

# gmake (worked great this time)
# gmake install (gave me the above text about 80% through -- after a bunch of "--are the same file errors under /doc $$)

I'm thinking this is tutorial side of the install, but I hate errors ~ any clues?

Thanks

Cryonic
01-13-2003, 08:21 PM
The quirky problems with QT and SEQ were with QT3 in general (3.0 on). As of SEQ 4.3.4 those issues were fixed (read the announcements forum).

Poncho
01-13-2003, 09:02 PM
Yes, point well taken and I made note of that sometime back. I was under the assumption (and still am) that the boxed QT3 from Mandrake 9.0 is still a little whacked. The following is an error I get during the "make" using the boxed QT3 from Mandrake when compiling SEQ:

libtool: link: warning: library `/usr/lib/libgdbm.la' was moved.
g++ -D_REENTRANT -O2 -Wall -g -ggdb -DDEBUG -finline-functions -DQT_THREAD_SUPPO
RT=1 -DDISPLAY_ICONS=false -DICON_DIR=\"/eq-icons/\" -o showeq main.o spawn.o sp
awnshell.o spawnlist.o spellshell.o spelllist.o vpacket.o editor.o filter.o m_sp
awnshell.o m_spawnlist.o m_spellshell.o m_spelllist.o m_editor.o packet.o m_pack
et.o interface.o m_interface.o compass.o m_compass.o map.o m_map.o util.o experi
encelog.o m_experiencelog.o combatlog.o m_combatlog.o msgdlg.o m_msgdlg.o player .o m_player.o decode.o m_decode.o skilllist.o m_skilllist.o statlist.o m_statlis t.o filtermgr.o m_filtermgr.o mapcore.o category.o m_category.o compassframe.o m _compassframe.o group.o m_group.o guild.o m_guild.o netdiag.o m_netdiag.o logger .o m_logger.o xmlconv.o xmlpreferences.o m_xmlpreferences.o seqwindow.o m_seqwin dow.o seqlistview.o m_seqlistview.o zonemgr.o m_zonemgr.o spawnmonitor.o m_spawn monitor.o spawnpointlist.o m_spawnpointlist.o spawnlistcommon.o m_spawnlistcommo n.o spawnlist2.o m_spawnlist2.o itemdb.o m_itemdb.o gdbmconv.o -L/usr/lib/qt3/l ib -lqt-mt -lpthread /usr/lib/libEQ.a /usr/lib/libgdbm.so -lz -lpcap -Wl,--rpath -Wl,/usr/lib/qt3/lib -Wl,--rpath -Wl,/usr/X11R6/lib
interface.o: In function `EQInterface::setTheme(int)':
/seq/showeq/src/interface.cpp:5212: undefined reference to `QCDEStyle::QCDEStyle [in-charge](bool)'
/seq/showeq/src/interface.cpp:5246: undefined reference to `QSGIStyle::QSGIStyle [in-charge](bool)'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[3]: *** [showeq] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/seq/showeq/src'
make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/seq/showeq/src'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/seq/showeq'
make: *** [all] Error 2
[root@localhost showeq]#

It seems both errors (under qt-3.1.1 "#gmake install" and SEQ "#make") are stemming from something "ld". This must be some sort of package I am missing and it's gotta be right under my nose, I just can't figure it out...

....gonna keep trying

monster69
01-13-2003, 09:16 PM
Poncho,

You are correct. The QT that comes with Mandrake 9.0 is not complete. There are minor pieces missing that SEQ needs. I ended up using QT2.3.2 before (cause I was on old SEQ). I am afraid I don't have a good answer for you though.

Monster

Poncho
01-14-2003, 12:21 AM
It seems I've bit off more than I can chew with this Mandrake crap. Sounded like a fun project to expand my horizons, but damn - this is getting WAY to repetitive for my taste.

I have yet to hear of anyone even running v9.0 after the new mods with SEQ and the advent of having to use qt3.0.5+

If the boxed QT isnt complete (which is the conclusion I've come too, and seemingly confirmed with the last reply), and am unable to compile the qt-3.0.5+ --- looking like a dead-end for my knowledge-base (or lack of) with Mandrake. There were some threads stumbling upon this same problem back in October concerning 8.1, but they kinda died.

If anyone has had success with a compile of qt-3.0.5+ with this OS, I'd like to hear what you did ~ please

Redhat worked for me without a single problem, and matter of fact SEQ seems to work better/faster than ever for me (never used spell data so dont care about that)- guess I'll stick with that until more peeps try this OS after the latest patches.....

~Poncho /ever so demorilized

vileDemon
01-14-2003, 01:58 PM
I got it working just fine using 3.0.5 and drake9. I followed a set of instructions posted in the forums. (do a search for "mandrake install help" and look at the "drake 9 how-to" or something like that) It was actually the most painless install i've ever done of showeq ... hope this helps and best of luck to you.

Poncho
01-14-2003, 04:00 PM
Odd,

I was in reference to that very set of instructions in my 1st post under the topic. The instructions were written by Codepig and were set up for SEQ before the last set of patches.

I could not get SEQ to compile using the boxed /usr/lib/qt3. I've tried MANY times and have reinstalled Drake9 and the packages to make sure I wasnt missing anything.

Is your Drake 9 CURRENTLY in working order with SEQ? If so, did you compile using the "boxed" QT3??

What packages did you install in your original MD9 setup? - I assume you added the packages listed per Codepig's instructions after install.

Any of these details would be greatly appreciated... Thanks)

~Ponch

vileDemon
01-15-2003, 01:41 PM
If memory serves, I used a mandrake HOWTO to confirm what packages I needed to put on. The HOWTO was actually for 8.1 ... but it served as a good checklist if nothing else. The one I'm refering to can be found under the same search I listed before, the thread was called something like "ShowEQ HOWTO and FAQ" I think.

Poncho
01-15-2003, 05:13 PM
Hmm, I think we are talking apples and oranges for some reason. ALL of these install guides were written BEFORE seq needed qt-3.0.5+. That means they all have the installation geared for compiling qt2.3.

My question then: Have you successfully compiled qt-x11-free-3.0.5+ on Mandrake 9.0? If you've done this some time back (guessing because you said if your memory serves you correct), then most likely the install was with the older qt's.

All of the previous instructions on this board show installs of qt2.3. Ive been looking across the web and havnt found anything on Mandrake and qt-x11-free-3.0.5+ compatibility. Trolltech had nothing on it as far as I could find as well.

Please dont take this the worng way. I sincerely appreciate your response to my inquiries, and dont mean to sound like I'm belittling anything. I feel like I havnt eaten in 2 weeks, and there is a big, fat, steaming pizza sitting 2 inches in front of me and I cant touch it.

After (no kidding here) about 7-8 fresh MD9 installs, and roughly 17-20 "almost successfull" QT3.0.5+ compiles - I'm about spent watching that boring Konsole screen under the "gmake" function :mad:

Is your MD9 CURRENTLY working with the LATEST seq? I'm gonna feel like a real dumbass when I get this all figured out - I just know it.

Thanks in advance for any more "bones" you or anyone else can throw me on MD9.0. Redhat=easy Mandrake=kick my a$$.

~Poncho

vileDemon
01-15-2003, 05:14 PM
No, i did this install maybe a week ago

Poncho
01-15-2003, 05:32 PM
Last question:

Boxed QT or self-compiled?

vileDemon
01-15-2003, 05:36 PM
QT was self-compiled

cbreaker
01-16-2003, 12:37 AM
I feel your pain.

I'm really sick of Mandrake/Redhat. These are supposed to be "easier" and/or "more complete" distributions of Linux. What a load.

With MDK9 I had to compile QT from sources, and then most of my problems went away. Pretty sure I used 3.0.5whatever. At least gcc doesn't seem all fucked up like on the last Redhat install I had.

For most people, we're going to want to (gasp) install something that's not included with the distribution. What does that mean to the users of Mandrake/Redhat? It means a big fat headache. There's always something missing here, something out of place there. KDE for example. What a joke. KDE is great, but it's so hacked up on Redhat and Mandrake that if you want to upgrade it you're at the mercy of the packagers to make an RPM of your peticular version and distribution.

No thanks.

I'm looking for alternatives. I found a really nice distribution called "core" that I use on my firewalls and such. It's very very bare bones, and it works great. You get almost nothing with the distribution besides the essentials, that's great for a firewall.

However, I would like a somewhat more complete distribution, that has more "standard" components, for general use. Okay, I know. There really isn't a standard. But, there is, kinda. Basically, I want a distribution that leaves most things where the developers of any particular package put them. This makes things SO much easier when you upgrade anything or have a problem you need to resolve.

I've been looking at SuSE. Seems to be pretty good about that. Any comments about it?

Any other distributions you might recommend?

Dedpoet
01-16-2003, 08:00 AM
cbreaker, Gentoo (http://www.gentoo.org). If you're serious about Linux, and don't just use it for ShowEQ, I think you'll like it a lot. I switched about 6 months ago and absolutely love this distro.

If you're comfortable with Linux and have a fast net connection, do a stage 1 install. That gives you basically just a shell, some file system commands, and the drivers you need for your NIC. You then bootstrap the system yourself (this takes hours), compile your own kernel, and build the whole system with the gcc version of your choice (again taking hours). What you're left with is a lean, extremely fast, barebones Linux system completely optimized for your hardware. You then install only the packages you need/want and all are built with your chosen optimizations.

You will learn a lot in the process, even if you are already pretty sharp on Linux. You mentioned KDE specifically, and I have to agree. I like KDE's interface, but I hate the bloat. With Gentoo, you can just install "kdebase" and forget about everything else. It's very nice. Give it a look.

vileDemon
01-16-2003, 02:23 PM
cbreaker, just to make sure i wasn't crazy i just did a re-compile of QT 3.0.5 and showeq (4.3.4) -- everything went fine -- now to patch :) best of luck to you...

maybe when you did the ./configure on qt you forgot to add the -thread option?? i did that once and had some wierd showeq compile issues till i remembered my mistake

Poncho
01-16-2003, 02:33 PM
I've tried nothing but qt-3.1.1 with Mandrake like I used on RH7.3. I think this is my issue. Doesnt look like qt-3.1.1 and Drake 9.0 like each other too much at all. Seems most of my problems were under the -src section of the make. I guess thats the downfall of trying the newest and least tested releases.....

Gentoo sounds interesting to me indeed. When I conquer this MD problem, at least I know what I'll move onto next :)

~Poncho

cbreaker
01-18-2003, 11:50 AM
vileDemon: I actually don't have a problem right now =) But thanks for the suggestion anyways hehe always good to get help even when I don't need any. You care about us. =)

Anyways, I'll give Gentoo a looksee, Dedpoet. From what you're saying it actually sounds a lot like that "core" distribution I was referring to. However, with core, you get... nothing. I mean, if I want to use RPM's, I'll need to download the source of rpm and make it and configure it afterwards. This is great for a firewall, I can get one running fast and stable as hell in about an hour or so on a decent box.

However, I do tend to install linux a lot on this machine or that, and I'd personally rather not have to go through that every time. I'm assuming that I can get a "bare-bones" install of Gentoo running without having to write my own init-scripts? =)

Ima gonna install it in a VM and see how good it is. VMWare fookin' roolz for testing out a new OS.

Dedpoet
01-18-2003, 01:40 PM
You won't have to write any scipts, cbreaker. They make tools to update the scripts for you, and most of the "ebuilds" (the compile scripts that run when you want to add a package) do it for you automatically. Like, if you build KDE and want it to be your default WM, you just issue a quick command, and you're good. Same thing with your system logger, crond, etc.

I mentioned the stage 1 install is the total minimalist way to go, but you can get a stage 3 tarball that's already compiled for your particular processor. Then you just need to build your packages. X + KDE takes about 4 hours on my P3 1133 laptop with 256MB RAM. Just kick it off before you go to bed.

cbreaker
01-18-2003, 03:24 PM
It's amazing how much code goes into this stuff, where it takes a 1.1Ghz processor hours to compile.

As a footnote, I installed SuSE 8.1 on a box, the install went smooth (make sure you install all the stuff you need to compile SEQ, they are not by default), and SEQ compiled out of the box. All I had to do was:

export QTDIR=/usr/lib/qt3
make -f Makefile.dist
./configure
make install

Can't get much easier then that. If all you do is run SEQ and you just want it to install smooth, I recommend SuSE. Easiest SEQ install for me yet.