PDA

View Full Version : Tips on install?

aguyfromaplace
01-14-2003, 09:12 PM
Beginning thursday, I plan to delve into the world of linux for the first time in a possibly futile attempt to install ShowEQ...

Anyway... I'm going to be installing it onto a Pentium III 800, 4 gig HD, 256mb RAM, so I think I'm alright system-wise. I plan on installing Mandrake 9, and have NO linux experience, although I do know quite a bit about other misc. computer/internet "stuff." I was just curious if there is anything I should know before I start. Hopefully it should go smoothly, and I've read a few of the posts about installing SEQ with Mandrake, so those should help. And if all else fails, I have a friend who has been using linux for a few years and also uses SEQ on slackware and I'll just have him run me through it. But I would really like to do this on my own to get linux experience as I have been interested in it for a few years now, just too lazy to actually get it.

My EQ comp. stats:
P4 1.8Ghz, Windows XP, 768MB RAM, GeForce 2 MX, DIAL-UP (plan to use the linux as a router for this)
My SEQ comp. stats:
PIII 800Mhz, (hopefully) Mandrake 9, 256MB RAM, TNT2, Dial-up going through this box (this is my main concern)
If there is a need for a 3rd comp., such as a router only comp., I have a PI 133Mhz, 1GB HD, 96-128MB RAM... should work for it...

Any help is greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance. (flame me if you wish.. not like this is my life or anything ;) )

Poncho
01-14-2003, 11:10 PM
Sounds like your computers will be ok for the time being at least. I'm a bit concerned with the dial-up/networking. Thats a whole other issue.

From a personal standpoint, I'd use Redhat 7.2 or 7.3 for your SEQ computer. All of the directions that are downloaded with SEQ (INSTALL.newbies in specific) are written for those OS's for the most part. You can view this file through browsing the CVS tree on this forum for verbatim Redhat/QT installation. You can goto the following link to download and view (using Notepad) from your windows box:

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=662937&group_id=10131&atid=310131

I'd strongly suggest that you read this file a few times over and copy it WORD for WORD when doing your installs/compiles. It is the simplest guide to use since the latest updates within EQ/SEQ. It really doesnt get much easier.

About Mandrake9.0 and the latest version of SEQ -- I recently picked up this OS and have been fighting it tooth and nail to get my compiles correct. I still dont have it working - but then again some report it to be the smoothest install of all - I disagree with my personal experience at least.

I havnt tried RedHat8.0, but I hear it works pretty much out of the box. Others can address this if they so desire. I have no experience with RH8.

1. Read the file I linked above
2. Read F.A.Q on the homepage
3. Read them again, over and over
4. Use the "search" function if you have further questions.

I hope this helps -- Good Luck

~Poncho