PDA

View Full Version : There are good and bad points

datadog
01-16-2003, 08:33 PM
EDIT: DOH!.. sorry . this was supposd to be a reply

Bad points are..

* The already congested patch servers will be 10 times worse when servers come up from a bounce.

* I have to download the entire expansion (120MB est.) every time I need to reload an OS or reinstall EQ for some reason. With 4 systems running EQ on my network, that is no small thing.

Good points.

* Dont have to track down a CD when I want to reload an OS or reinstall EQ.

* Dont have to go to the store to buy the CD. (this is not a big deal for me.. but is for others, particularly over seas.)

I think they should make ordering the media an option for those who want to have it on hand, like Microsoft does with I.E. etc...

Im sure not distributing CD's and media saved them a bunch of money. They folks at SOE have learned that EQ is a cash cow, and they are milking it for all its worth. Someone asked in /gu last night why they are charging us for such a small expansion.. and not just giving it away.. My comment was..

Because selling it makes more business sense. If they can make money doing it they are going to do it.

To which they replied... "but they never used to make us pay for new zones etc (i.e. Jaggedpine/CT Revamp).

To which I replied... " Yes.. and now they are making a lot more money... if it was your business which way would you do it.. give stuff away? or sell it and make a ton of cash?... "

To which they replied.. "good point... "

Amadeus
01-16-2003, 09:39 PM
Surely they'll release a downloadable base .iso file so that we can burn a CD of it if we wish and then just copy it over to the EverQuest directory...surely :)

hehehe..nm, that would be logical

lostpacket
01-17-2003, 12:42 AM
or why not look at what files are downloaded, copy them to a temp directory and save them?

xfesty
01-17-2003, 01:35 AM
don't think its going to make a whole lot of difference really, i mean, installing from cd's (new installation) is going to result in some big patches coming down the line anyway.

as most of you no doubt are aware eq can be copied onto another computer without registry items etc needing to be present. i've got my eq installation with all expansion packs rar'ed onto four cd's, and soon onto a dvd (once i get my hands on a dvd burner). makes installation far easier, and all my client/character settings are there.

i think its bullshit that they're selling another expansion pack already, i mean, im all for them, but not so bloody soon. i only jsut got enough cash for pop a month ago.

sigh.

considering ac2, anybody played this? thoughts?

xfesty
01-17-2003, 01:38 AM
actually

what does suck is being on a dialup connection with a download limit.

patching sure is going to be fun. it took me almost a month of nightly patching when luclin was released.

xfesty
01-17-2003, 01:41 AM
Originally posted by datadog
Bad points are..

To which I replied... " Yes.. and now they are making a lot more money... if it was your business which way would you do it.. give stuff away? or sell it and make a ton of cash?... "

To which they replied.. "good point... "

And they're also decreasing the number of potential new players.

Got heaps of friends I almost convinced into playing EQ, but as soon as they found out about all the expansion packs they'd have to buy (lets face it, eq without luclin sucks, and they'd want to eventually get pop) they completely dropped the idea.

Sure, Sony, have some more of my money! I dont need it.

Mr. Suspicious
01-17-2003, 05:39 AM
but as soon as they found out about all the expansion packs they'd have to buy (lets face it, eq without luclin sucks, and they'd want to eventually get pop) they completely dropped the idea.

Everquest Gold ($49.95, contains ALL expantions) (https://store.station.sony.com/hardgood.jsp?SKU=EQ1RE-HG-SW1102-EQGOLD)

xfesty
01-17-2003, 07:48 AM
Had no idea that even existed.

Too bad I don't know of anywhere within AU stocking this, although getting it sent over is possible.

Bah, I recently bought Luclin and PoP, could have gotten this instead. Way cooler.

Oh well, always find about things too late :(