PDA

View Full Version : Install Guide - QT 3.1.1 on Redhat 7.2 Instruction - for Noobs

useseq
01-17-2003, 11:00 AM
Hi,

I finally got QT 3.1.1 to work on my Redhat 7.2. I followed eggman's instruction and couple of others. I guess I'll make the instruction more detailed so we noobs can follow through.

If you are a noob, just follow the instruction EXACTLY, line by line. hehe.

Make sure you login as root.

1. Make sure you have these rpms installed when you first install Redhat 7.2.
XFree86-devel
XFree86-libs
autoconf
automake
gcc3
gcc3-c++
libpcap
libstdc++3
libstdc++3-devel
libgcc
zlib
zlib-devel
gd
gd-devel
gdbm
gdbm-devel
pine **for pico
kernel-headers
glibc-devel
cvs
patch
make
m4
libtool
libtool-libs
binutils
libpng
libpng-devel
libjpeg
libjpeg-devel
libmng
libmng-devel
freetype

2. Download QT 3.1.1 from here to /usr directory.

ftp://ftp.trolltech.com/qt/source/qt-x11-free-3.1.1.tar.gz

3. From /usr directory unpack it.
tar -xzvf qt-x11-free-3.1.1.tar.gz

4. Use gedit to edit file in /usr/qt-x11-free-3.1.1/mkspecs/linux-g++/gmake.conf.
Replace gcc with gcc3 and g++ with g++3 (Line 12, 27, 47, 48).
Save the file.

5. Within /usr/qt-x11-free-3.1.1 directory, run:
export QTDIR=/usr/qt-x11-free-3.1.1
./configure -thread --prefix=/opt/qt-x11-free-3.1.1
gmake
gmake install
(this process may take couple of hours)

6. Use gedit to edit file in /etc/ld.so.conf.
Add a line: /opt/qt-x11-free-3.1.1/lib
Save the file.
ldconfig -v

Gratz! You completed the installation of qt 3.1.1!!! :)

Now for showeq.

For me, the FTP site wasn't working... so I downloaded showeq from the link at the announcement site.

1. Download showeq from:
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/seq/showeq-4.3.5.tar.gz?download
Save to: /seq directory.

2. Unpack showeq.
tar -xzvf showeq-4.3.5.tar.gz

3. From /seq/showeq directory, run:
export QTDIR=/opt/qt-x11-free-3.1.1
export PATH=$QTDIR/bin:$PATH
export MANPATH=$QTDIR/doc/man:$MANPATH
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$QTDIR/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
export CXX=g++3
export CC=gcc
./config
make
make install

Cheers~ you have installed showeq! :D

Note: don't ask me questions. I'm a noob.

Useseq

Mr. Suspicious
01-17-2003, 11:07 AM
Or simply read the official documentation (INSTALL.newbies file found in your ShowEQ directory)... sjees

Iam_Walrus
01-17-2003, 04:00 PM
[editing, more diffs]

Towards the end there, you've got some misses which may be confusing to some people:

3. From /seq/showeq directory, run:

export CXX=g++3
export CC=gcc
./config
make
make install

should be:

export CXX=g++3
export CC=gcc3
make -f Makefile.dist
./configure
make
make install

Other than that, thanks for posting in the forums for those of use that don't have a printer attached to our linux-laptops with which to lpr that INSTALL.newbies file...

Cheers!

p.s. I'm not sure if you meant this for existing users of seq, but you're also missing the libEQ.a portion (sort of important).

I'd be happy to re-write the INSTALL.newbies instructions for any that may be interested - I'm sort of a psuedo-tech writer at my job and I could flesh it out a little bit. If anyone's interested, let me know and I'll see about submitting to the devs to replace the existing version in CVS (if it comes back up?)

Mr. Suspicious
01-17-2003, 06:06 PM
I'd be happy to re-write the INSTALL.newbies instructions for any that may be interested - I'm sort of a psuedo-tech writer at my job and I could flesh it out a little bit. If anyone's interested, let me know and I'll see about submitting to the devs to replace the existing version in CVS (if it comes back up?)

There's already a new INSTALL.newbies submitted, just not incorporated in the CVS.

fryfrog
01-18-2003, 01:03 AM
lazy ass devs :)

kmpra
02-04-2003, 04:48 AM
Hello, im a total dumbass when it comes to this kinda stuff but im trying. I got to step 4 and i am typing (under /usr) gedit (and hten the line that is typed using cut andpaste). I get a window popping up saying so and so file is not made would you like to make it. I tried removing each part off the end and it all gives the same. What am i doing wrong?

keymaker
02-04-2003, 05:18 AM
I would say make sure you extracted the tar file from step 3 into the /usr directory, as if you did not, it was extracted in your /root or where ever you downloaded it too :)

kmpra
02-04-2003, 06:01 AM
I checked that and its going to /usr/whatever its called. Cuz i can go into the qt3.1.1 and usig dir see whats lited. I played around in there a bit to see if i could figure something out, but i really am pretty retarded when it comes to this stuff. Last install i used hackersquest, but the ftp for trollsomething or other is giving me an invalid port error and lopping so a friend suggested this forum.

who_me_use_seq
02-04-2003, 08:42 AM
Hello, im a total dumbass when it comes to this kinda stuff

/em stands in pure slack jawed awe of the understatement embodied in that statement.

kmpra
02-05-2003, 12:14 AM
afte ryour jaw is closed, got any advice??

sauron
02-05-2003, 03:14 AM
Right-click the file in the "Explorer" type app in the GUI. Tell it to open with GEDIT (or if you are using KDE then Advanced Editor). Much easier.

If you can't figure out how to edit a simple file, you may be one of those people that I've heard talk of who just really shouldn't be touching it in the first place.

I wish you the best of luck... Try www.redhat.com and look at support documentation on editing a file. I feel that this basic of a support issue shouldn't really be handled in the SEQ forums.

Sauron

who_me_use_seq
02-05-2003, 09:00 AM
afte ryour jaw is closed, got any advice??

Yes. Yes I do. Back slowly away from that glowing screen in front of you. It is not a Television. Walk slowly and carefully around your residence making sure not to stumble over any loose objects until you locate the television. (I know it is difficult. They are both sort of rectangular (sorry for the big word) things that display pretty colors) Check to see if the glowing screen is displaying American Idol. If it is that is your television. Sit down and go back into your catatonic trance and do not ((UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES)) ever touch the computer again. Daemons live in it. They will hurt you.

kmaszk
02-05-2003, 03:16 PM
WHY!!!!! you tard!!! qt.3.0.5 is the one your supose to use!!! what a wast of time

EnvyEyes
02-05-2003, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by kmaszk
WHY!!!!! you tard!!! qt.3.0.5 is the one your supose to use!!! what a wast of time

Oh I'm soooo frightened by this.....

Please scroll up just a tad to who_me_use_seq's post, have someone read it to you and explain what it means, then proceed with caution to any available seat that gives you a clear view of the television.

(almost forgot to explain why I'm frightened....)
3.1.1 is > 3.0.5 (that means it is "greater than"..... or to put it another way, 3.1.1 is a newer version.)
Therefore, it will work just as well as it's predecessor.

warboss
03-02-2003, 11:00 PM
after attempting step 5 multiple times in the first part, i keep getting the same error:

gmake[1]: g++3: Command not found
gmake[1]:*** [project.0] Error 127
gmake[1] Leaving directory /usr/qt-x11-free-3.1.1/qmake
gmake: *** [uqmake] Error 2
qmake failed to build. Aborting.

Now i thought I followed all the steps exactly as it says, but apparently i didnt...COuld some one help me out please.

EDIT: BTW I dont have a gmake.conf in the linux-g++ folder...only a qmake. or was that a typo?

Dedpoet
03-03-2003, 08:52 AM
Warboss, what distro are you using? What hardware are you using? What are you doing prior to getting the error? There isn't enough information in your post to help you yet. The fact that "g++3" is trying to be run seems odd to me.

eggman
03-03-2003, 08:00 PM
Warboss,

My suspicion is that you are not running RedHat 7.2 and that you did not need to edit qmake.conf.

What does `cat /etc/issue` return? If you are running RedHat, or one of its derivatives, your version will display there.

If you are running a later version `gcc` would most likely sufice. I apologize that I can't be certain but RedHat 7.2 is the latest RedHat build I have available to me.

Cheers,
-Egg

warboss
03-03-2003, 10:18 PM
running Redhat 7.2, hardware wise...its really old...Couldn't give outthe specifics..It has been sitting in my basement for about 5 or 6 years now...166mhz processor. Had windows 95 or 98 installed on it to show its age. About the 'cat /etc/issue' I'll try that in a little bit, I had to unhook the computer and move it to another room to make space...

So eggman, what your saying is that I could just leave the gcc and g++ and not change them to gcc3 or g++ or am I just misunderstanding you?

EDIT: 80 mg RAM (WOW!), 166mhz processor, hehe the label reads "MPEG 1 Full Video Playback Capabilities, 1 meg video memory upgradeable to 2 megs <---Should show the sign of it's age.

Dedpoet
03-04-2003, 08:16 AM
Ok, with 7.2 you will have to export the CC=gcc3 and CXX=g++3 variables, as stated in the FAQ and the INSTALL.newbies file. My guess is you're missing a line or two from Step 3.

Just a side note...QT 3.1.1 takes about an hour and 15 minutes to compile on my P3 1.13GHz laptop with 256 MB RAM. I expect it will take you 2 days on a P166 with 80 meg. Make sure you have a big swap partition too...it's going to need it. ShowEQ will also take quite a while to build on that box, probably an hour or more. Just so you know what you're up against with that hardware.

warboss
03-04-2003, 04:39 PM
...2 days eh? I could do that...Hopefully i wont have a poweer surge or something during the 2 days i do this...

P.S. Ty for all the help.

LaBlade
03-05-2003, 03:48 PM
Not sure if I should have started a new thread, but this one fits my problem.

Clean, full install of RH 7.2, off the RH retail CD's. I mention this because even though cat /etc/issue returns:
Red Hat Linux release 7.2 (Enigma)
Kernel \r on an \

gcc3 -v returns:

Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-redhat-linux/3.0.2/specs
Configured with: ../configure --prefix=/usr --mandir=/usr/share/man --infodir=/usr/share/info --enable-shared --enable-threads=posix --disable-checking --host=i386-redhat-linux
Thread model: posix
gcc version 3.0.2 20010905 (Red Hat Linux 7.1 3.0.1-3)

and g++3 -v returns:

Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-redhat-linux/3.0.2/specs
Configured with: ../configure --prefix=/usr --mandir=/usr/share/man --infodir=/usr/share/info --enable-shared --enable-threads=posix --disable-checking --host=i386-redhat-linux
Thread model: posix
gcc version 3.0.2 20010905 (Red Hat Linux 7.1 3.0.1-3)

(the 7.1 vs 7.2 makes me wonder)

anyway, gmake goes fine for a while, then:

gmake[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/qt/src/moc'
test -d ../../bin/ || mkdir -p ../../bin/
g++3 -o ../../bin/moc ./qbuffer.o ./qptrcollection.o ./qcstring.o ./qdatastream.o ./qdatetime.o ./qfile.o ./qdir.o ./qfileinfo.o ./qgarray.o ./qgdict.o ./qglist.o ./qglobal.o ./qgvector.o ./qiodevice.o ./qregexp.o ./qstring.o ./qstringlist.o ./qtextstream.o ./qbitarray.o ./qmap.o ./qgcache.o ./qtextcodec.o ./qutfcodec.o ./qfile_unix.o ./qdir_unix.o ./qfileinfo_unix.o ./moc_yacc.o
./qbuffer.o: In function `QBuffer::QBuffer(void)':
./qbuffer.o(.text+0x60): undefined reference to `__rethrow'
./qbuffer.o(.text+0x65): undefined reference to `terminate(void)'
./qbuffer.o: In function `QBuffer::QBuffer(QMemArray<char>)':
./qbuffer.o(.text+0xfc): undefined reference to `__rethrow'
./qbuffer.o(.text+0x101): undefined reference to `terminate(void)'
./qbuffer.o(.text+0x11b): undefined reference to `__rethrow'
./qbuffer.o(.text+0x129): undefined reference to `__rethrow'
./qbuffer.o: In function `QBuffer::setBuffer(QMemArray<char>)':
./qbuffer.o(.text+0x21f): undefined reference to `__rethrow'
./qbuffer.o(.text+0x22d): undefined reference to `__rethrow'
./qbuffer.o(.text+0x23d): undefined reference to `__rethrow'
./qbuffer.o: In function `QBuffer::~QBuffer(void)':
./qbuffer.o(.text+0x178): undefined reference to `__builtin_delete'
./qbuffer.o: In function `QMemArray<char> type_info function':
./qbuffer.o(.gnu.linkonce.t.__tft9QMemArray1Zc+0x25) : undefined reference to `__rtti_si'./qbuffer.o: In function `QBuffer type_info function':
./qbuffer.o(.gnu.linkonce.t.__tf7QBuffer+0x26): undefined reference to `__rtti_si'
./qbuffer.o: In function `QMemArray<char>::~QMemArray(void)':
./qbuffer.o(.gnu.linkonce.t._._t9QMemArray1Zc+0x28): undefined reference to `__builtin_delete'

lot's more of these type problems, then:

./moc_yacc.o: In function `QPtrList<Function>::deleteItem(void *)':
./moc_yacc.o(.QPtrList<Function>::gnu.linkonce.t.deleteItem(void *)+0x63): undefined reference to `__builtin_delete'
./moc_yacc.o(.QPtrList<Argument>::gnu.linkonce.t.deleteItem(void *)+0x3d): more undefined references to `__builtin_delete' follow
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
gmake[2]: *** [../../bin/moc] Error 1
gmake[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/qt/src/moc'
gmake[1]: *** [src-moc] Error 2
gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/qt'
gmake: *** [init] Error 2

====================

Now, I did get Qt to build earlier, but when I went to compile
ShowEQ, it complained it couldn't find my Qt libraries. They were
there, QTDIR was set correctly, etc, so I came to the board, used
the search butten, and found mention of threading, and editing
qmake (changing c++ to c++3, etc). Figuring the threaded
libraries were named differently (hence showeq cound't find
them), I edited qmake as per this thread, and ran into the above
problems.

So, was Qt built right the first time, and some export not done, or
should Qt build now, and I'm just missing something?

Just to contribute something to this thread, building Qt 3.11 on a PPro 180 with 96 meg took a bit over 12 hours.

I've since done this clean install on a dual PP 200 (512 cache, even. drool), with 196 meg. should compile much faster :)

LaBlade

Iam_Walrus
03-05-2003, 04:20 PM
You've got me confused. You said that you were able to get QT compiled earlier, but then you then tried to recompile it?

Did you read through _this_ entire article and follow all of the instructions it contains?

LaBlade
03-05-2003, 04:41 PM
The errors posted were from following this thread exactly (or so I think) - I'm getting these errors on step 5 of installing QT.

I was able to get QT to compile earlier by NOT editing qmake, just untar, setting the env variables, config, make. Then I failed on configuring ShowEQ, because it couldn't find the QT libs. So I found this thread, wiped the qt tree, untarred again, and followed these steps.

LaBlade

high_jeeves
03-05-2003, 05:05 PM
You didnt happen to do a "make clean", or QT equivalent, did you? You are probably trying to link old gcc2 binaries from your first build with a gcc3 linker with your new build..

--Jeeves

LaBlade
03-06-2003, 05:36 PM
Thanks Jeeves, that was my problem - I'm embarrased. :)

LaBlade

Smack
03-15-2003, 06:23 AM
problem solved......... post edited

Smack
03-15-2003, 06:47 AM
solved

Futurama
04-19-2003, 08:29 AM
checking for libEQ.a in /seq/showeq ... yes
configure: WARNING: "/seq/showeq/libEQ.a" has md5sum f45cb14c6e0a4c55c3b60bc0959945d6 which doesn't match reference md5sum
checking for InitializeLibEQ in "/seq/showeq/libEQ.a" ... no
checking for libEQ.a in /seq/showeq/. ... yes
configure: WARNING: "/seq/showeq/./libEQ.a" has md5sum f45cb14c6e0a4c55c3b60bc0959945d6 which doesn't match reference md5sum
checking for InitializeLibEQ in "/seq/showeq/./libEQ.a" ... no
checking for libEQ.a in /seq/showeq/./src ... no
checking for libEQ.a in /usr/lib ... no
checking for libEQ.a in /usr/local/lib ... no
checking for libEQ.a in /opt/lib ... no
checking for libEQ.a in /lib ... no
configure: error: libEQ.a not found, out of date, or not compiled using a compatible compiler. Be sure libEQ.a is already installed in one of the listed directories (/seq/showeq /seq/showeq/. /seq/showeq/./src /usr/lib /usr/local/lib /opt/lib /lib), is a current version, and you are compiling with g++ 3.x.
[root@localhost showeq]#

Yes im using g++3 and gcc3

and I have downloaded the new LibEq.a

I am at a loss plz help me

Elyon
04-19-2003, 09:02 AM
Put LibEQ.a in your /usr/lib directory and make sure it's the only one. If any doubt, re-download it and save it to /usr/lib

airputz
04-22-2003, 02:21 AM
checking for Qt... yes
>> Found version.: 3.1.1
>>> Headers......: /opt/qt-x11-free-3.1.1/include/
>>>> Libraries...: /opt/qt-x11-free-3.1.1/lib/
configure: error: Something wicked happened while trying to validate your Qt installation!!! Please verify your libraries...

So, supernoob here with a question about this. I just installed qt 3.1.1 and am now trying to ./configure seq, and i get this nifty little error, I followed the directions exactly and yet, no dice. How should i go about trying to solve this problem? I wouldnt even know where to start.

cheese_poker
04-22-2003, 04:57 PM
I am getting a similar error as Futurama.

I have libEQ.a installed in the /usr/lib directory. I did a md5sum on it and it matches what is listed to the left as the 17 APR 03 release.

I am using QT 3.0.5, and it checks out ok during the "./configure".

For reference it says "checking for libEQ.a in /usr/lib ... yes", then says it doesn't match the reference md5sum. Any idea where to change the reference sum ?

I deleted the showeq directory and re-expanded the tar.gz. Still no dice there.

Any help would be appreciated.

cheese_poker
04-23-2003, 12:09 AM
I don't know why, but the tar.gz file would not work for me at all. The CVS update made it past this problem. Strange.

a13ean
05-20-2003, 07:53 PM
one thing that was causing me various errors - if you dont know whats going wrong on your install you might want to check this:

go to ld.so.conf and make certian that you only have one line in there for QT, i had an old one in there

Magao
05-26-2003, 03:29 PM
ok first of all his script has some errors for certain installs

..if you get the could not find gcc3 error remove all the threes you added and it will work fine.

..if you are getting the file is not made error when trying to gedit the gmake.conf file try QMAKE.CONF as that is the one that actually exists...

Cyra
05-27-2003, 06:22 PM
I thought I had it, but it seems when I run ./configure the QT directory that is detected is my old 2.3.2 version. I redid the entire process, and found that I was getting an error at the

ldconfig -v

part of the process. It ends with a

/lib/i686: (hwcap: 0x8000000000000)

I recompiled qt-x11-free-3.1.1 once again and got the same error.

Did a search for "hwcap" and "ldconfig", but no luck. Is there perhaps an RPM that I didnt install? I had SEQ up and running just three weeks ago prior to this version.

btw, I get happy TrollTech messages at the end of the gmake of qt-x11-free-3.1.1, so I think it is compiling ok.

Stumped,...please help. Thanks.

Cyra