PDA

View Full Version : Not even getting GPS

CyberT
01-23-2003, 03:31 AM
I know Ill get flamed for this but here goes....

Up until the sniffer requirement, I was able to install and run SEQ perfectly everytime without fail. I took a break from EQ and am now trying to get SEQ working again.

I have done a fresh RH8 install (everything), gotten the most recent libEQ.a and installed SEQ from CVS. Not an error to be found anywhere. It looked like the install was perfect.

I then compiled and installed UncleBen's sux program found here (http://seq.sourceforge.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2445).

My ISP provides multiple IP addresses so i have

MODEM -> HUB -> EQ machine (public ip)
|
SEQ Machine (public ip)

I fire up EQ. Fire up SEQ. Telnet to the EQ box and hit enter as described in the instructions of UncleBen's sux program. SEQ gets the key and says dispatching and decoding, etc.. But I get no mobs, no map, no nothing even after zoning.

I have no firewalls of any kind and the machines can see each other fine and SEQ gets the key fine so I know that the interface and IP are correct.

Any ideas why even the GPS functions are not working? I have searched and tried all "tips" and instructions that I found in about 20 threads here. Even tried going back to RH 7.2 and after downloading, compiling and installing everything required (without error), I get same results. I would rather not setup a router or connection sharing of any kind as my ISP allows multiple IP's. I'm lost at this point. I am very familiar with linux and like I said had no problems in the past with the exact same setup. I can provide any information asked for to help diagnose this.

fryfrog
01-23-2003, 07:03 AM
what brand of hub do you have? are you sure its a hub?

and do the machines have significantly different ips? (i don't really think that should matter though).

l0s3r
01-23-2003, 08:28 AM
doesn't sound like its a hub issue he used to have it running.

have you tried forcing it to only listen to the eq computers ip?

CyberT
01-23-2003, 08:29 AM
It is actually a generic CompUSA 4 port 10/100 auto-sensing switch. I did try it with a non-switching hub (8 port) but got the same results so I put the switch back on. The IP's are slightly different in the 3rd octet but that's all.

I have tried starting showeq with the command line

showeq -i eth0 xx.xx.xx.xx (my IP)
I have tried forcing SEQ to use the EQ IP.

I have tried having SEQ look for the client.

I have tried forcing the MAC address of the EQ machine.

I have removed the second NIC from the Linux box.

As I said, I am completely lost at this point. I even thought about compiling linux from scrath using the gentoo sources but don't have the time right now.

S_B_R
01-23-2003, 09:19 AM
Run tcpdump on your linux box and see if you can see any traffic from your EQ/Windows box.

Also what is the version number of your SEQ?

CyberT
01-23-2003, 09:29 AM
On my way home now. I will try tcpdump again. Did do that yesterday but cannot remember the exact output.

The version is SEQ 4.3.5 from CVS.

who_me_use_seq
01-23-2003, 09:32 AM
As long as it is on the switch nothing is going to work. Can't sniff through a switch. Nature of the hardware.

Put them back on the unit that you know is a hub. Then fire up Ethereal or some other sniffer on the Linux box and see if you are seeing packets from the Winblows box.

See also this excellent thread found by searching "hubs switches"

http://seq.sourceforge.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2572&highlight=hubs+switches

CyberT
01-23-2003, 10:10 AM
I should have realized.. DUH! I knew that but somehow overlooked it in my frustration. And even when I put it on the hub, it turns out that I had the wrong interface selected.

It is working perfectly now. It gets the key and BANG! instant decode.

I have the hub on one interface and the switch on the other. Just never thought to tell SEQ the correct interface when I switched.

Oh well. Live and learn.

Thank you who_me_use_seq for reminding me of my remedial mistake.

S_B_R
01-23-2003, 10:52 AM
Probably could have answered your question much faster if your network diagram had been a little more accurate. ;)

Well atleast you figured it out :D

CyberT
01-23-2003, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by S_B_R
Probably could have answered your question much faster if your network diagram had been a little more accurate. ;)

Sometimes, I guess, I take things forgranted. I work for an ISP doing tech suppot and our users throw around the terms hub and switch and router as if they were the same thing. I guess after a while, it has rubbed off.

/em wipes the embarassed look off his own face.