PDA

View Full Version : Redhat8 question

Cravin Morehead
01-23-2003, 11:09 AM
I have seen several threads that talk about RH8.0 and have also seen the threads that talk about upgradeing to qt3.0.5. the one guide on installing 3.0.5 says that I have to have gcc3 or better. now when I look at what gcc I have I get gcc and gcc296(or close to that Im at work ATM) and gccmakedist. I am going to assume that what ships with RH8.0 is succicient. BTW I installed everything on that system since its just a SEQ box only. my question only requires a yes or no answer. after that Ill beat the sunmabitch into submission.

Flame me if ya want I wore my ASSbestious boxers today. :D

fee
01-23-2003, 11:11 AM
RH 8 is good to go out of the box. There is no need to mess with gcc or qt.

fee

Cravin Morehead
01-23-2003, 11:42 AM
Fee

Thanks time to get out the Bubblegum Swiss Army Knife and Duct Tape and goto work

mudtoe
02-07-2003, 03:23 PM
OK. I'm having a bit of trouble here with RH8. I saw Fee's comment that RH8 is good to go right out of the box. However, when I tried to compile SEQ I got an error on the ./configure saying "Unable to locate your Qt devel install". It's certainly possible and likely that I've done something wrong in the install or port over of the SEQ source so I'll go over what I did.

I installed RH8 on a Dell laptop with the custom option selected where you get to choose what kind of system you want. I did that because I wanted Samba and the development tools, and the first time when I chose desktop I had to start over because those wern't there. I unchecked the gcc stuff about fortran and a couple other languages I didn't think I'd need to save disk space. I didn't see anything on the RH8 install choices that talked about installing QT, only showed gcc stuff as far as compilers went. RH8 install went fine. I even got it to multiboot with WinXP on the same hard drive using the WinXP boot program. I've also gotten Samba to work so that I can map my Linnux drive from my WinXP desktop.

After that I ftp'ed the ShowEQ 4.3.5 source from my Red Hat 7.1 laptop (it doesn't have Samba on it) to my WinXP desktop machine, and from there transferred the source to /usr/local/src on the RH8 machine via Samba. Note that these source directories were the ones I used on the RH7.1 system to compile SEQ a few weeks ago. I also transferred libEQ.a from the RH 7.1 laptop to the RH8 laptop the same way as the source. When I did the make -f Makefile.dist it said it was archiving a copy of the binary. Now, I didn't transfer the binary unless an extra copy of it is put in the src path as well.

I'm not sure now if I need to find a QT package to install on RH8, or if the fact that I transferred the src directories from a RH 7.1 system after a compile had been done using them, has caused this problem. I didn't download a fresh CVS copy of the source because I wasn't sure what state the CVS copy is in. I haven't seen a CVS announcement since before the last code change was issued in a patch format.

Help appreciated.

mudtoe

Spook
02-07-2003, 03:52 PM
If not sure, you can shotgun it and install everything. I did since I didn't want to hunt down individual packages and had the space. RH 8 (full install) worked out-of-the-box just fine.

Lemming
02-07-2003, 04:12 PM
You need to install the QT development libraries. You can do that in Red Hat 8 by going to System Settings/Packages in the corner menu.

mudtoe
02-07-2003, 06:43 PM
Thanks for the help. I installed the package and was able to get the compile going. Unfortunately I'm getting a compile error now. I also had to run configure with "./configure --without-qt-validation" per a post by Bartok in November ( http://seq.sourceforge.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2416&highlight=wicked ) who said to do that if you get the "wicked" error in RH8 when doing the ./configure the regular way. Now I'm getting an error on the compile that says "only absolute run-paths are allowed". This happens when it's checking libEQ.a . Following is the final part of the compile where it failed:

g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -I/usr/lib/qt3-gcc3.2/include -Ino -DMAPDIR=\"
/usr/local/share/showeq\" -DLOGDIR=\"/usr/local/share/showeq\" -I/usr/include/pc
ap -D_REENTRANT -O2 -Wall -g -ggdb -DDEBUG -finline-functions -DQT_THREAD_
SUPPORT=1 -DDISPLAY_ICONS=false -DICON_DIR=\"/eq-icons/\" -c -o m_itemdb.o `test
-f 'm_itemdb.cpp' || echo './'`m_itemdb.cpp
source='gdbmconv.cpp' object='gdbmconv.o' libtool=no \
depfile='.deps/gdbmconv.Po' tmpdepfile='.deps/gdbmconv.TPo' \
depmode=gcc3 /bin/sh ../depcomp \
g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -I/usr/lib/qt3-gcc3.2/include -Ino -DMAPDIR=\"
/usr/local/share/showeq\" -DLOGDIR=\"/usr/local/share/showeq\" -I/usr/include/pc
ap -D_REENTRANT -O2 -Wall -g -ggdb -DDEBUG -finline-functions -DQT_THREAD_
SUPPORT=1 -DDISPLAY_ICONS=false -DICON_DIR=\"/eq-icons/\" -c -o gdbmconv.o `test
-f 'gdbmconv.cpp' || echo './'`gdbmconv.cpp
/bin/sh ../libtool --mode=link g++ -D_REENTRANT -O2 -Wall -g -ggdb -DDEBUG -fin
line-functions -DQT_THREAD_SUPPORT=1 -DDISPLAY_ICONS=false -DICON_DIR=\"/eq-ic
ons/\" -o showeq main.o spawn.o spawnshell.o spawnlist.o spellshell.o spellli
st.o vpacket.o editor.o filter.o m_spawnshell.o m_spawnlist.o m_spellshell.o m_s
pelllist.o m_editor.o packet.o m_packet.o interface.o m_interface.o compass.o m_
compass.o map.o m_map.o util.o experiencelog.o m_experiencelog.o combatlog.o m_c
ombatlog.o msgdlg.o m_msgdlg.o player.o m_player.o decode.o m_decode.o skilllist
.o m_skilllist.o statlist.o m_statlist.o filtermgr.o m_filtermgr.o mapcore.o cat
egory.o m_category.o compassframe.o m_compassframe.o group.o m_group.o guild.o m
_guild.o netdiag.o m_netdiag.o logger.o m_logger.o xmlconv.o xmlpreferences.o m_
xmlpreferences.o seqwindow.o m_seqwindow.o seqlistview.o m_seqlistview.o zonemgr
.o m_zonemgr.o spawnmonitor.o m_spawnmonitor.o spawnpointlist.o m_spawnpointlist
.o spawnlistcommon.o m_spawnlistcommon.o spawnlist2.o m_spawnlist2.o itemdb.o m_
itemdb.o gdbmconv.o -L/usr/lib/qt3-gcc3.2/lib -lqt-mt -lpthread -rpath /usr/
lib/qt3-gcc3.2/lib -rpath no /usr/local/lib/libEQ.a -lgdbm -lz -lpcap
libtool: link: only absolute run-paths are allowed
make[3]: *** [showeq] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/ShowEQ-4.3.5/showeq/src'
make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/ShowEQ-4.3.5/showeq/src'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/ShowEQ-4.3.5/showeq'
make: *** [all] Error 2

When I searched on this absolute directory thing I didn't see an answer to it here in the help forum, although a few other people have had it. One thing that looks strange though is that the -rpath statement for the libEQ.a at the end has a "no" in front of it. I'm not sure if that's the problem or not.

mudtoe

Mr. Suspicious
02-07-2003, 08:33 PM
You still haven't got all packages needed to compile ShowEQ, installed.

Please read the documentation that comes with ShowEQ (Hint: INSTALL.NEWBIES file in your Showeq directory) It's usually a good thing to read the documentation before trying to install stuff and certainly before asking for assistance =) (this doesn't only go for software, but any electronical and technical object)

Dedpoet
02-07-2003, 11:34 PM
Mudtoe, I'm not sure which package you are missing just by looking at that error, but like Mr. S. said, you can check INSTALL.newbies and see what you didn't install.

I did want to answer your other questions though - CVS is in fine shape, and the code you grab from there will build fine, it just won't work with EQ in its current state. You seem to be pretty well read up, so I'm sure you know to keep an eye on the Announcements forum for a fix. You could pull the code now to see if that compiles, just keep in mind all you'll get while running are errors. Personally, I use my seq machine to keep eqatlas open...sigh... :-)

mudtoe
02-08-2003, 02:44 PM
ok. I finally tracked down all the packages and got it compiled. They were scattered through various sections of the RH8 package manager thing. I guess the comment that someone made that RH8 was ready to go out of the box only applied if you installed everything possible from the get go and didn't have to hunt and peck. Unfortunately I didn't have enough disk space to do that.

Anyway, thanks to all who helped me.

As a side note, does anyone know how to configure Samba so that you can logon to a windows machine from the Linux one? I have it working in reverse (I can map the Linux drive from my windowsxp machine by putting in "root" as the userid when I do the drive map). However, unless I use smbclient on the Linux machine and manually put in a userid and password, I can't get connected from the Linux machine to the Windows one using Nautilus because Linnux keeps trying to signon as Guest. I tried changing smbusers to map root to a name on my windows machine, but it didn't work. I don't want to enable the Guest ID or create an ID called root on my windows machine if I can avoid it.

mudtoe

Dedpoet
02-08-2003, 02:59 PM
Lots of docs here that tell you how to do this:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=samba+sharing+windows+to+linux

The Linux Headquarters one looks particularly good.

/lub google