PDA

View Full Version : Technical assistance

underrated2k3
01-25-2003, 07:30 AM
I've got an old computer, and I'd like to put linux and ShowEQ on it. Whats the best version of linux to install, where's the cheapest i can buy it (if its not free), and where's a link to the easiest instructions for a linux n00b to follow to set up ShowEQ?

If this is already posted somewhere, I apologize.

underrated2k3

RavenCT
01-25-2003, 09:39 AM
You can download just about any version of Linux for free.

If you really don't know much about Linux, I'd suggest that you start with Redhat. (www.redhat.com)

From there, search for one of the MANY install documents around. There are complete walk throughs for this.

who_me_use_seq
01-25-2003, 11:00 AM
OK. Look carefully at the top of the first page of the forums. Did you see something that looks like this

Read this before asking any questions. Then use use this. After you have read and used both options, then and ONLY then should you ask your question. If your question is answered in either of those two locations, EXPECT TO BE FLAMED for being too stupid to read. You have been warned.

Although it is highly decorative and admired by many this text was actualy put there for you to read. Go on try it. It won't hurt much.

l0s3r
01-25-2003, 12:40 PM
pull the stick out of your ass before you sit down who_me_use_seq

Dark
01-25-2003, 02:39 PM
Go for Red Hat 8, do a full install and then all you have to do is install SEQ.

All works out of the box.

underrated2k3
01-25-2003, 10:33 PM
awesome, thanks guys. I did read the "read this or die" intro at the top of the forum...wasn't sure how up to date it was, or if there were different opinions on it. Is the install process similar to installs on windows machines? Thanks for the help again.

underrated

underrated2k3
01-25-2003, 10:36 PM
oh yeah, sorry to post twice, but what are the system requirements for showeq?

Dedpoet
01-26-2003, 09:18 AM
ShowEQ will run on just about any system you have. However, it will take a really really long time to compile, and compiling Qt may take days if you do it yourself on a slow system. Any modern system (p2, p3, p4, AMD duron, athlon) and 64MB of RAM will work.

I'm overhauling the FAQ this week, so maybe I'll throw that in there. Thanks for the idea.

underrated2k3
01-26-2003, 02:17 PM
whats qt?

fryfrog
01-26-2003, 05:52 PM
its a gas station, they have these hotsie breakfast sandwiches, coffe and of course most of the other stuff a gas station has. very good prices too, imho.

baelang
01-26-2003, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by fryfrog
its a gas station, they have these hotsie breakfast sandwiches, coffe and of course most of the other stuff a gas station has. very good prices too, imho.

the pies are pretty good too. you know, the qt pies.

Dedpoet
01-27-2003, 12:31 PM
the pies are pretty good too. you know, the qt pies.

Bah-dum-dum.

Qt is a graphical toolkit for X windows, and is the enviroment needed to run ShowEQ, KDE, and some other common Linux applications. If you use a newer Linux distribution (RH8, Mandrake9), you won't need to worry about it, as these already come with the proper version of Qt.