PDA

View Full Version : Major problem to Everquest

Ekin
01-27-2003, 12:05 AM
There have at least of a group of hacker in Europe hacked / testing something to EQ server .

My firend having trouble to login EQ for at least a week , his account always have a active char.

He asking me petition and call CSR . They did kick off that char and my firend finally logged in . WOW , he found there have near 2000k pp and many uber items . Of course , GM did summon him and showing all the rubbish log and evidence ........... Finally , all the items removed .

AND MOST IMPORTANT , as the gm said , they have detected a modified client program .

kmaszk
01-27-2003, 12:49 AM
bah!! i think thats bull because its Illegal for everquest to ban you for usinh a key sniffer, they are not alowed to use equipment to tell that.

Ekin
01-27-2003, 12:55 AM
I don't think a key sniffer is used but a modified client side program instead .

But they can detect a modified client side program , which mean they know ( if not scan ) something funny on client side already ???

And those hacker really strong .......2000kpp , lots of god level items ( 7 bags full ) , dunno any dropped to ground and picked by others :D

Poor my firend , account hacked and lost all his orginal equipment.

Ratt
01-27-2003, 09:10 AM
First of all, what does this have to do with SEQ?

Second of all, it's a load of BS. No matter how you modify the client, you aren't going to be able to magically generate plat or items... it's all server side.

compuboy86
01-27-2003, 08:26 PM
The ONLY instance (and I may be wrong) that I've heard of of someone "hacking" was when a teenager got ahold of some upper-level VI guy's account which had been given "super access" to the game. Naturally he had fun with it and gave away the equipment on the character and randomly killed people....but as far as I know- that is the only instance of someone actually getting crazy powers.

Compuboy86

Ekin
01-27-2003, 08:43 PM
First , it may a little bit off topic . sorry for this .

But the things actually happened . My firends cannot login , that char 24hrs x 7days online . Only GM able to kick him out . 7 bags full of uber items , 2000k pp ......... etc

The GM was very clear , a modified client program detected .

The point of this post is , IF they really can detect anything on client side , which mean scanning / looking to your pc is NOT illegal to them ...........................

Cryonic
01-27-2003, 10:53 PM
It's not hard to detect that someone modified the client exe. Use CRC or md5sum of the known current binary. If they don't match, the client was modified. You agree everytime you join EQ that they can check the contents of the EQ folder to patch in changes that you need. If your copies of the files don't match what they should be, but you are still playing in the game, then you must have modified them.

The "you" I'm refering to would be the End user and not VI/SOE and not any you in particular.

FuddRucker
01-28-2003, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by compuboy86
The ONLY instance (and I may be wrong) that I've heard of of someone "hacking" was when a teenager got ahold of some upper-level VI guy's account which had been given "super access" to the game. Naturally he had fun with it and gave away the equipment on the character and randomly killed people....but as far as I know- that is the only instance of someone actually getting crazy powers.

Compuboy86

Actually he didn't get away with anything, eq is setup so that the GM "super access" only works inside the Verant/SoE offices (Maybe the above story is why it works this way now?). GMs can login from home, but they only show up as guides and can't do anything above the basic commands.

There have been reports of players getting on Guide accounts (stupid guides that leave their avatar logged in, or giving away a password) and doing fun stuff like /zone[ing] to veeshan and using the /summon command repeatidly.

FuddRucker
01-28-2003, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by Ekin
First , it may a little bit off topic . sorry for this .

But the things actually happened . My firends cannot login , that char 24hrs x 7days online . Only GM able to kick him out . 7 bags full of uber items , 2000k pp ......... etc

The GM was very clear , a modified client program detected .

The point of this post is , IF they really can detect anything on client side , which mean scanning / looking to your pc is NOT illegal to them ...........................

Scanning their memory space isn't really illegal (if I understand it correctly from reading other posts around this board). Also keep in mind there are programs out there that do modify the client.

MacroQuest is the big offender that comes to mind, Xylobot uses a wrapping technique to send mouse and keyboard commands to the game.

I think neither of these programs sends modified data or commands to the server to make items magically appear, and honestly I doubt they could if they wanted too.

Your story is a little confusing though, did you actually hear all this stuff or did you actually "see" it, and what exactly did you see? I'm trying to make sense of your messages, but maybe I'm missing it.

Summery, Yes they can detect weird stuff going on in their memory space, the problem is decoding exactly what it is that's going on. If you are worried about that kindda stuff, don't use the programs... Just play EQ normally, and use SEQ in basic mode. :)

Ekin
01-28-2003, 10:16 PM
I am sorry for the confusion . I am not a english guy so ............

Just a little more update , the account was banned now . I have talked to GM online , GM said "the Player who logged in Labarr was trying to Traiggle (wrong spelling?) the log file and trying to modify the Client files"

GM also said , the player ip seem to be in sweden ............... My firend moved to Canade for few month .......... they don't care ...... just banned the account ..............

speedphreak
01-29-2003, 05:44 AM
phear my l337 traiggle skeelz!

Seriously, it's possible that you can use a client side mod to make items APPEAR to be different items - or to APPEAR to have 2 gazillion pp. But it's just a local item hack - to really change anything like that you need to have access to, or fool the server.

suseuser7341
01-29-2003, 06:24 AM
Don't feed the Troll.

Circles
01-29-2003, 12:38 PM
the client is not trusted, and the server would report discrepiancies to the server. Yes, its possible to hack the client and but tin cans for 1 copper, then sell them for 10000000p. The server notes the discrepincy and notifies a GM. This is why everyone that used the speed hacks got busted.

modified client doesnt mean they phisicly changed teh file, it means that you as teh client are lying to the server and being caught. dont need a md5 sum or anything else to find that out... read logs on the servers.

This isnt the first time I've seen or read about this type of hack. its basicly using a memory editor to bypass certian client side trust issues. most have been patched out, a few remain. You used to be able to edit memory to allow things like dropping no drop items, banking from anywhere, shopping from anywhere, remove lore tags, alter the RNG seed, etc. all that has changed now.