PDA

View Full Version : Q: CVSROOT ---- lost !

minigirl
01-28-2003, 06:17 PM
Hi all.

Im in dire need of a way to make my CVSROOT established.

Im preparing my CVS update to roll off as soon as a new CVS with a fix for todays patch ( 1728 ) is ready :) .

but after i do the :

# cvs -z3 update

i get this arror mesage :

cvs update: No CVSROOT specified ! Please use the -d option
cvs [update aborted]: or set the CVSROOT enviroment variable

well i might be a bit blond regarding this and i have tried to study in on this....but i cant seem to set my CVSROOT..

please help..what do i have to do ?

/hugs

mini

respawn21
01-28-2003, 06:24 PM
I can only assume you mean this statement? By god if this is your problem you might consider not using SEQ...

export CVSROOT=:pserver:[email protected] :/cvsroot/seq

baelang
01-28-2003, 06:42 PM
Try clicking on CVS above right side:

Aurelius
01-28-2003, 07:20 PM
This is a non-literate observation. I had the same problem when I was struck down by the dumbass bug. I was not in the correct directory. I was one above it. I changed to the next showeq directory and had no problem. I don't know if this will help your problem but I'm not a smart tech weenie. )) Good luck.

wfj5444
01-30-2003, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by respawn21

Linux N00b question: Why is this required when it is specified in the command??

I understand why if you were using a variable in the CVS login command, but you aren't.

Just curious.

Lyroschen
01-31-2003, 03:38 AM
The export command establishes an environment variable that the CVS command will use. If the environment variable is not set first - such as with the export command - then you need to specify the path in the command line....

You can either do:
cvs login
cvs checkout showeq

or

cvs -d:pserver:[email protected]:/cvsroot/seq login
cvs -z3 -d:pserver:[email protected]:/cvsroot/seq co showeq

basically, adding the -d switch with the path eliminates the need to set the CVSROOT variable. Setting the variable looks cleaner, and is easier to do imo.

casey
02-03-2003, 01:47 AM
you guys all gave excellent answers if she was attempting a new checkout, but not one of you helped her update.

the correct answer is,

to update, you dont mess with CVSROOT or -d options, as the CVSROOT is obtained from the CVS/Root file off the current directory. This means, you need to be inside the cvs checked out directory to do an update.

In your case, the answer is probably as simple as
cd showeq
cvs update

just make sure you are in the top level showeq directory when you update, if you are in a lower dir (src or conf), an update will only update that directory and not the ones above it.

minigirl
02-03-2003, 02:59 AM
Thanks all for your help.

Im now set for and waiting for the future of ShowEQ.

That said..yes im a nubiie - i have only been using ShowEQ for more than 2 years and this amazing program have pushed me into using Linux and enjoying that OS aswell as trying to learn more.

It was not easy to suddenly have to get a basic grasp of compiling C code..lol.. I was in shock...but took it all as a match I wanted to win . )

I have no one else to ask but you as i dont know anyone else that mess around with Linux. Yes i make mistakes and overlook obvisous reasons. But up until SEq v3.4.5 i have been successfull with all my installations and upgrades. To me - atleast - that is a big thing.

A BIG Thanks also goes to the dev's and those that contribute for maintaining seq. You guys have learned me a lot.

Best Wishes

Lyroschen
02-03-2003, 04:47 AM
I completely failed to notice it was an update. Thanks for setting it straight, Casey. \\=^ )