PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone up and running?

rogrhoa
01-29-2003, 03:39 PM
If your up and running please post what you have done or if you are working on a Fix, show where you are I knnow there are muliple programers out there that can help so share information to where we are.

baelang
01-29-2003, 04:46 PM
If you want up-to-the-minute information, log onto the IRC channel and ask.

Milked
01-29-2003, 06:08 PM
may I ask what server and what channel you are runnin in IRC?

fester
01-29-2003, 07:12 PM
two things have changed:

The opcodes on many packets
The way multiple or single packets are constructed.

The opcode has flags on the top 4 bits. These flags seem to indicate the construction method for that opcode.

There seem to be opcode/flag pairs that do not include offset to the rest of the packets (presumably the client knows the size of these non variable size packets) and there seem to be pairs that use 1 or 3 byte size fields to represent the next packet in a multi packet.

In short, it is considerably more difficult to determine where opcode packets begin and end. But when you do look at opcodes and know the boundaries, they look much like the pre patch ones. I know the item packets, time of day packets, and channel message packets are valid. I have not looked at any other packets or opcodes to check validity.

There are several people working on this, and if there was any more information available I am sure if would be posted. I would suggest waiting for a dev or some non dev to post a fix, because no news means people are working on it.

baelang
01-29-2003, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by Milked
may I ask what server and what channel you are runnin in IRC?

yes, you may ask your question of the search engine.

Soul_Rebel
01-29-2003, 07:55 PM
hey balllick, what is the irc thing again?

coolzero16
01-29-2003, 08:14 PM
i want you to look up irc in the search engine DONT TELL ME WHERE ITS AT IF YOU FIND IT just tell me IF you find it at all

thankyou

coolzero16
01-29-2003, 08:19 PM
nevermind i found it

after reading a post of USE THE GOD DAMN SEARCH ENGINE at the bottom it said

irc.trifocus.net #showeq

jgorrell
01-30-2003, 03:42 AM
LOL, No comment :)

rogrhoa
01-30-2003, 08:28 AM
Thanks to Fester for being on of the few to actualy post some information on this, Fester if there is anything we can do or you need let me know I have 2 programers that work for me that could possible help.

jdtodd72
01-30-2003, 08:58 AM
Been reading all the boards and it looks like there is no FIX at this time, But they are working on it. Just keep checking.

bubbahlicious
01-30-2003, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by fester
two things have changed:

The opcodes on many packets
The way multiple or single packets are constructed.

The opcode has flags on the top 4 bits. These flags seem to indicate the construction method for that opcode.

There seem to be opcode/flag pairs that do not include offset to the rest of the packets (presumably the client knows the size of these non variable size packets) and there seem to be pairs that use 1 or 3 byte size fields to represent the next packet in a multi packet.

In short, it is considerably more difficult to determine where opcode packets begin and end. But when you do look at opcodes and know the boundaries, they look much like the pre patch ones. I know the item packets, time of day packets, and channel message packets are valid. I have not looked at any other packets or opcodes to check validity.

There are several people working on this, and if there was any more information available I am sure if would be posted. I would suggest waiting for a dev or some non dev to post a fix, because no news means people are working on it.

Thanks Fester. This helps a lot.

Ratt
01-30-2003, 10:17 AM
Think of opcode changes as putting a jigsaw puzzle together.

Just this time, it's an all white puzzle with a lot of pieces.

spiceman
01-30-2003, 10:54 PM
White puzzle...Hehe I have faith you could do it even if it was a black puzzle and you were in a dark cave..

BlueAdept
01-31-2003, 09:53 AM
It has been a long time since SEQ was totally screwed. I think this is one of the first times that we didnt even have map capibilities.

I never really realized how much I depended on SEQ to show me where I am. I dont really care about the decryption, I just miss the GPS. Im back to digging out my maps and doing the /loc thing. What a pain in the ass.

Sony should be thanking HQ and Ratt for SEQ. I really think if I hadn't found SEQ about 3 years ago, I would have quit EQ a LONG time ago. I really hate not knowing where the hell I am.

I dont know about anyone else, but I really havent noticed much/any improvement in lag due to large amounts of people. I was in a raid last night and still had people LDing when we had about 60 people.

coolzero16
01-31-2003, 10:22 AM
is there a possibility that everquest will win and ther will be no showeq?

SlowNLazy
01-31-2003, 10:40 AM
*** NEWS FLASH ***

Apparently Sony is being bombarded by scores of tree-huggin hippies for the recent increase in the number of dead trees as EQ fans around the world dust-off their printers and burn through reams of paper printing maps

On a side note.... Where was that link on how to read Locs again?

who_me_use_seq
01-31-2003, 11:27 AM
is there a possibility that everquest will win and ther will be no showeq?

In an infinite universe all things are not only possible -- they are required.

uncleubb
01-31-2003, 11:43 AM
I dont know about anyone else, but I really havent noticed much/any improvement in lag due to large amounts of people. I was in a raid last night and still had people LDing when we had about 60 people. I haven't noticed any improvement at all. One thing I have noticed, and I believe someone else posted it in the general forum, EQ doesn't feel right...

I get constant, but slight, "jerking" or "stuttering" when I am playing. It is almost as though I am getting continual split-second lag. It doesn't seem to effect overall gameplay, but it gives me a "bad feeling" whilst I play...

bonkersbobcat
01-31-2003, 12:27 PM
I get constant, but slight, "jerking" or "stuttering" when I am playing. It is almost as though I am getting continual split-second lag. It doesn't seem to effect overall gameplay, but it gives me a "bad feeling" whilst I play... Part of the new protocol changes include the ability to combine packets being sent from the server to the client. Any time you combine packets, the first packet has to be held by the server for some amount of time so that it can be combined with the next packet. The "jerking" you see may be a result of this.

In general when moving data around, the larger the hunk of data you move, the better throughput you get, but the worse responsiveness you get. In an interactive situation (like EQ) this is a delicate balance.

cbreaker
01-31-2003, 01:19 PM
The last patch seems to have improved things for me. We stopped getting LD's when the first started all this compression nonsense.

/shrug

baelang
01-31-2003, 02:36 PM
Lag seems to be getting worse, not better, for me.

I have this "jerky" view while playing as well. my vision jerks to the right to the blank monitor where my SEQ box used to be.

Mr Guy
01-31-2003, 04:19 PM
I'm mostly just sad I keep getting lost in the god damn nexus.

coolzero16
01-31-2003, 04:35 PM
whats the longest seq has been down before? anyone got a ball park estimate?

wizard
01-31-2003, 04:50 PM
Prety sure a search would bring up the history of SEQ post that Ratt made when the compression/encryption changed the first time that required the use of the keysniffers..

UncleBen
01-31-2003, 06:31 PM
I get constant, but slight, "jerking" or "stuttering" when I am playing. It is almost as though I am getting continual split-second lag. It doesn't seem to effect overall gameplay, but it gives me a "bad feeling" whilst I play...

UncleBen has diagnosed you with early symptoms of Schizophrenia! Plz leave the house and go get laid

fizzlemaster
01-31-2003, 11:36 PM
Don't Fret You Can still Use Showeq For a great Map/Loc Tool!
set the IP your filtering to some unsed local Ip, then maualy load maps useing your mouse pointer to get constant loc's of where things are in the zone, then you can also Do a loc when lost and move the pointer right over where you are on the map, It's Still a GPS, just not one that has a graphic map on the lil screen, EQ provides the heading(arent you glad you did practice sense heading) and loc provides the X, and Y, much like the early GPS systems, So all We have to do is combine that with a map that shows us exactly where the pointer is when its over the map, and Bang, the poor mans GPS, I know Giligan would have loved to have a precise paper map with Longitude and Latitude, along with his exact Long,and Latt, heeh

cbreaker
02-01-2003, 03:32 AM
Originally posted by wizard
Prety sure a search would bring up the history of SEQ post that Ratt made when the compression/encryption changed the first time that required the use of the keysniffers..

Although somewhat entertaining and quite long, and at the same time being as vague as possible, his post about the history of SEQ doesn't really get specific as to how long the longest downtime was.

So yea, a search will bring it up. But no, it won't really answer his question :P

coolzero16
02-01-2003, 05:54 PM
does my sig sound like a he?

baelang
02-01-2003, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by coolzero16
does my sig sound like a he?

He (cbreaker) was referring to Ratt when He (cbreaker) said "he".

but rachel could be a he. you never know these days.

coolzero16
02-01-2003, 11:46 PM
ratt didnt ask any questions unless im blind which could be the case id ont have my contacts in right now...

i live out in the boonies of south dakota but i dont think ive ever heard of a Mr. Rachel

cbreaker
02-02-2003, 12:25 AM
Nope I meant this coolzero he/she/it. I don't personally care if you're a twisted freak of nature without any gender at all. Does it make any difference?

We're all just text here.

/shrug

coolzero16
02-02-2003, 12:39 AM
np