PDA

View Full Version : Wow it must be really tweaked!

Resiliant
01-30-2003, 12:24 PM
Im noticing that things seem to be pretty badly wedged this time. My curiosity is getting the better of me. Was the compression scheme changed massively on Tuesday? Is there anything we all can do to help out?

R

Poncho
01-30-2003, 01:48 PM
Lets put it this way: It's so tweaked that EQ itself isnt running right. We have screen bleeds, crashes on zones and failing UI's just to name a few problems. Man, I wish they would have waited on this one a little longer. Bad management IMO. There will most likely be a few more patches in the game itself before it is fixed.

Problem remains - do all the hard work on the decoding, or wait until EQ itself is fixed and go from there? Would really suck for the next few patches to put everything back to square 1 again.

CybMax
01-30-2003, 01:57 PM
Hmm.. would you not think that the graphics problems and the ui problems are something else than network traffic?

As i understood it on the patch msg they had improved network traffic.. Ie. they change something in the way network traffic happens between the server and the client..

THAT is why current seq wont decode anything, cos they changed the structure of the packets.

They probably are implementing something having to do with the new update coming end of feb.. thus UI errors.. And they are "optimizing" graphics performance.. (although buggy). I believe that if they fix this in a couple of emergenzy patches, it wont have any to do with network packets tho..

Anyway.. Good luck in decoding the packet traffic :) Keep up the good work guys!

someoneelse
01-30-2003, 02:23 PM
It could be that the graphics, UI, zone, and crash to desktop problems are in part due to problems in the communication/compression/encryption scheme. If packets are getting mangled, the rest of the EQ engine could choke on that bad data. Without more information, its hard to tell.

It probably worth the time to examine the code as SOE modifies it, but not worth the time to get SEQ working for every revision.

Resiliant
01-30-2003, 03:24 PM
We all know what alpha testing is.

We all know what beta testing is.

Sony has now developed a new type of testing! I'll call it OMEGA testing!

To heck with trying to make working code! Just release whatever your development team sends you the minute you get it, and make your USERS test it. To heck with the fact that they are paying you for working software. OH... and while we're at it, LETS CHARGE THEM for the priviledge of using our untested code, and then IGNORE them when they call the customer service department! What the hell the're all addicted to our software anyway, what do we care what they think!

<sigh>

cbreaker
01-30-2003, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by someoneelse
It probably worth the time to examine the code as SOE modifies it, but not worth the time to get SEQ working for every revision.

It seems to me that once you figure out the net code, it's not too hard to get seq to read it. The figuring it out is the hard part.

Each patch that breaks seq I keep hoping that it will be the last that severely changes the net code. Those Sony guys are going nuts lately.

Sony executes a FLURRY of attacks on ShowEQ!
Sony goes on a RAMPAGE!

Resiliant
01-30-2003, 04:06 PM
Actually... its more like

SoE executes a FLURRY of attacks on its poor unsuspecting users!

LordCrush
01-30-2003, 05:00 PM
Hmmm Banaware :p,

Release green, will grow up at the users ;)

Lyroschen
01-30-2003, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by Resiliant
We all know what alpha testing is.

We all know what beta testing is.

Sony has now developed a new type of testing! I'll call it OMEGA testing!

To heck with trying to make working code! Just release whatever your development team sends you the minute you get it, and make your USERS test it. To heck with the fact that they are paying you for working software. OH... and while we're at it, LETS CHARGE THEM for the priviledge of using our untested code, and then IGNORE them when they call the customer service department! What the hell the're all addicted to our software anyway, what do we care what they think!

<sigh>

hehe, MS has been doing this for years, and unfortunately it's worked out well for them. \\=^ (

Amadeus
01-30-2003, 07:39 PM
I think something is totally wonked myself. I rarely, if ever, go LD'; however, I was doing the hedge quest last night in Nightmare -- 18 people, and my cable modem was going *NUTS*!! Every time we did an encounter I was lagged out :/

This is new ....