PDA

View Full Version : /bye EQ?

Leetlewon
02-01-2003, 08:01 PM
I never really cared if I could decode packets, but EQ just isn't fun when I don't have the GPS function of SEQ to enhance the experience for me.

I've played an hour here or there since SEQ GPS quit working (I don't use a sniffer). But, I get bored so quickly. It's like playing a 3D game and then suddenly having it change to a 2D game..... after 3+ years of playing with 2 accounts, I'd say it's a safe bet that I will cancel the accounts if I am forced to play without GPS.

I have a feeling that I'm not the only one.

cbreaker
02-01-2003, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by Leetlewon
I have a feeling that I'm not the only one.

You have a feeling? How about looking at the other 30 posts about this and verifying it?

You could have just replied to one of those useless posts instead of creating a new useless post.

Poncho
02-01-2003, 08:06 PM
If you've played for 3+ years, you'd know that patience is a major part of EQ. Be patient. An update/announcement will be there when the time is right.

Leetlewon
02-01-2003, 08:10 PM
Cbreaker,

Eat my shorts.

This is a message board, not an encyclopedia spanky.

mxedisn
02-01-2003, 09:08 PM
Though I doubt I'll stop playing without the GPS, I do sorely miss it.

And Cbreaker: Was that an attempt to flame? How feeble.

stty -cbreak

cbreaker
02-01-2003, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by Leetlewon
Cbreaker,

Eat my shorts.

This is a message board, not an encyclopedia spanky.

It's also pretty lame to see the same post, posted over and over and over ... I mean, what was the intent of the post? To try and get Sony to stop changing their netcode or else you'll cancel your accounts? Or to try to get the developers of SEQ to "hurry" without actually saying it? Or to try to say "I'm so honest that I only use SEQ for GPS"?

Originally posted by mxedisn
And Cbreaker: Was that an attempt to flame?

Nope.

mxedisn
02-02-2003, 12:44 AM
IMHO, the intent of the post was what it appeared to be: to express personal feelings about SEQ, Verant, and the universe in general.

Cbreaker, I'm glad it wasn't a flame.

On the subject of flames, I'd like to offer the following (not that many will be reading this thread.... or will they?)

As a teacher, I frequently have to answer questions about things that I've just said.
For instance, I'll say, "I want you all to start Investigation 3 on page 238."
Then someone will say, "What page?"
At this point, I have a personal quandary. It is the debate between being personally peeved at students ignoring instructions and educating my students.
If I've written the instructions on the board (analogy here: easily searchable via the search key), I growl at the student in question and point to the whiteboard. If it's a question where I (as an educator) can help the student (as a learner) learn how to do something, I answer the question.

A post like, "How do I run CVS" should be flamed to the foundation.
A post that is answerable via search, but is non-obvious, and, perhaps more importantly, non-obviously-answerable via search, should be replied to if the respondent has an ANSWER.

Responding to such a post, "The answer is available in search somewhere" while true, is non helpful.
Responding to such a post "The answer is availabile in search, you miserable stupid son of a bitch who is completely worthless and should kill itself immediately because you're such a complete waste of bandwidth that you don't deserve to live" is just mean.

We cannot spoonfeed all who have stupid problems.

We cannot handhold all who are in unfamiliar territory.

We can help those who have tried.
We can be TOLERANT of those who are trying to learn.

bonkersbobcat
02-02-2003, 03:10 AM
A post like, "How do I run CVS" should be flamed to the foundation.
A post that is answerable via search, but is non-obvious, and, perhaps more importantly, non-obviously-answerable via search, should be replied to if the respondent has an ANSWER.

Responding to such a post, "The answer is available in search somewhere" while true, is non helpful.
Responding to such a post "The answer is availabile in search, you miserable stupid son of a bitch who is completely worthless and should kill itself immediately because you're such a complete waste of bandwidth that you don't deserve to live" is just mean.And a post like, "Try using search with the keywords "SEQ Working"" would be more helpfull. It doesn't give the answer away to someone who didnt bother to search, and it gives a hint as to what to look for.

CybMax
02-02-2003, 05:16 AM
Well.. i would hardly quit playing EQ cos of SEQ tho..

And for those of you really really needing a gps tool, EQCompanion is working very good : http://home.inreach.com/kai/EQCompanion/

Yes.. it is for Windows.. and Yes, you will have to download maps from eqatlas, and actually make the program "learn" coords the first time you are in a zone.
Other than that.. works pretty good if ya ask me.. Non comparable by SEQ of course, but as a tool while the devs decode the things sony have been messing up.. right :)

Leetlewon
02-02-2003, 07:40 AM
Cbreaker,

The intention of my post is not really any of your business. It is certainly your right to express your opinion, but you might think about following an old motto:

If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything.

The problem here is that people on message boards say things that they would never say in person. They get used to the protection of anonymity, and it becomes even more difficult to exercise restraint.

This is good in some cases because it opens people up to give opinions that you'd never hear otherwise. It can be bad when discussions generate into nothing more than a pack of dogs barking at each other.

who_me_use_seq
02-02-2003, 09:56 AM
Leetlewon,

I think that you have misperceived the nature of the psyche of the technical person. Technical people do not, as a rule , have a reputation for being particularly well socialized. I, for one, would not hesitate to point out that you were an ignorant twit directly to your face if I were to hear you pop up with some of the asanine drivel that I see you post on these boards IRL.

cbreaker
02-02-2003, 03:42 PM
Yea me too. I mean really.

"If you don't have anything nice to say don't say it" says he.

I think the last time I heard that was from my 5th grade teacher. This is not social gathering proper. This is a group of people that like to cheat in a game, like to run Linux and talk about it. Most of us don't give two shits about being polite and nice to one another.

Leetlewon
02-03-2003, 02:52 PM
Last 2 posters should both have listened in 5th grade. You might have learned something.

keymaker
02-04-2003, 02:32 AM
<comment>
Thats... hahahahaha, thanks for the laugh, was most enjoyable,
</comment>