PDA

View Full Version : WikiWikiShowEQ

fee
02-02-2003, 10:42 PM
With the unfortunate growing complexities of running and maintaining showeq we need a better solution to keeping the user base informed and up-to-date. I have been pondering a wiki for showeq. If you have never heard of this novel idea to documentation check out http://wiki.org or http://www.wikipedia.org/

Wikis are fundamentally community driven. Documenting all the details of even a program this size are well beyond the time constraints of unpaid hobbyists. A wiki may be the only way to harness the collective knowledge base and make the program more useful for everyone. Would the community be interested in supporting a wiki for ShowEQ?

fee

Lyroschen
02-02-2003, 11:33 PM
At first glance, it appears this would create web-space where all with access can edit existing web pages.

I'm not sure what structual or content advantages would be gained over a general discussion forum. If you have an idea of a way to implement this to some advantage for ShowEQ, I'd be very interested in hearing it. Documentation is arguably the worst part of programming, anything to help with that could be cool, imo.

\\=^ )

Ratt
02-03-2003, 12:12 AM
I actually looked into this awhile back, but deemed it too confusing for 99% of the users... including myself. Half the time I was like "WTF."

It looks like it's moved forward a bit since I first looked at it, and it would require a bit of organization to get things started off right... but I think it would be a good idea if it could be pulled off.

fryfrog
02-03-2003, 12:18 AM
ipcop uses a "wiki" and i hate it. :)

S_B_R
02-03-2003, 11:16 AM
Hmmmm, I'm with Lyroschen on this. I'm not sure what Wiki would give *us*. The FAQ turned out very well using forum-based collaberation....

I'm probably missing something though... Maybe if you could ellaborate on your idea(s) more fee?

/shrug

--edit--
Just thought of something. The main hindrance to using the forums for collaberation is the signal to noise ratio. Maybe more moderators could be selected to help with that? Might not be a bad idea regardless of Wiki, now that we have the New Fledgling Infant Forum: Ratt's Repeated and Redundant house of Renduncancy... ;)