View Full Version : Drive Space

homer
02-08-2003, 05:34 PM
I just lost my 8 gig drive that was in the comp and had to throw in a 2 gig. I did an install of RH8 and SEQ, now the drive is 94% full. That is after I took a few things out that I know I didn't need.

I would appreciate any help from some folks in figuring out what else I might be able to uninstall from the machine to free up some more space, as the logs from SEQ fill up rather fast.

I did a desktop install if you are wondering.

Dedpoet
02-08-2003, 06:25 PM
You can remove any packages that aren't in the list of required packages. This list is found in section 1.2 of the INSTALL.newbies (http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/seq/showeq/INSTALL.newbies) file (click the "download" link in that URL to see the file, or take a look at your copy in whichever directory you downloaded showeq).

dirfrops
02-08-2003, 08:01 PM
How's this for a solution...

Get a job, buy a new hard drive, reinstall Redhat 8.0

Hard drives are fairly cheap these days if you want just a minimal one to house SEQ

homer
02-08-2003, 08:24 PM
I don't see the NEED to spend 100 bucks of my EARNED money on a 20 gig drive that only 2 percent of is going to be used.

baelang
02-08-2003, 08:41 PM
Wooo. i really want to help you now.

I WAS going to post where to find the information you seek, mostly right here on this board. but now, i will just, well, wash my eyes or something.

Cryonic
02-08-2003, 09:46 PM
Funny, I did an install of RH8 on a 2GB partition and it only took about 750MB of stuff to do SEQ and a few other apps that I wanted.

Ratt
02-10-2003, 10:17 AM
I just lost my 8 gig drive that was in the comp and had to throw in a 2 gig. I did an install of RH8 and SEQ, now the drive is 94% full. That is after I took a few things out that I know I didn't need.

I would appreciate any help from some folks in figuring out what else I might be able to uninstall from the machine to free up some more space, as the logs from SEQ fill up rather fast.

The quickest and best thing you can uninstall from the drive is Red Hat. That will free up a ton of space (about 8 gigs worth).

Once that's done, you can install Gentoo, and have about 7.5 gigs free after you are done.

Cryonic
02-10-2003, 08:29 PM
Heh, that must be a magical trick I've never seen. Remove RH from a 2GB drive and magically it becomes an 8GB drive. :)

Ratt
02-10-2003, 11:56 PM
Ahh, sorry, I misread that as he had an 8GB drive now... well. Ok... Umm... yea.

throx
02-11-2003, 02:05 AM
I don't see the NEED to spend 100 bucks of my EARNED money on a 20 gig drive that only 2 percent of is going to be used.

Damn straight you don't. 100 bucks is way, way too much to pay for a 20 gig drive given that 80 gig drives retail for less than that at CompUSA.

2% of 20G is 400M. I seriously doubt you are going to fit a Linux install, X, and then dev tools and libs required to build SEQ in 400M.

CybMax
02-11-2003, 05:21 AM
Homer.. Go get your mom to buy this (since i recon she is paying your EQ subscription) : http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=11026977&m=488&cat=511&scat=512

Less than 100$ :eek:

Manaweaver
02-11-2003, 12:08 PM
http://www.compdisk.com/cfm/products/index.cfm?fuseaction=ProdDetail&PartNumber=92049U6-pw&ID=HDDPW

A much less pricey alternative.

Iam_Walrus
02-12-2003, 03:10 PM
i tried putzing around for a few hours one day trying to find the right mix of packages with RH8 based upon the INSTALL.newbies docs, but i can't say as i had much success. in any case, i haven't used less than 2gigs on my linux box since i ran rh6.2. perhaps i'm just a package slut?

end result, you're not going to fit a functional RH8/seq installation on 2gigs. get over it and go buy a bigger drive. and before you get all bitchy about wasted space, why not do something nice on it like run a newserver or webserver or something? linux wasn't created to cheat on games with, man, you can do much, much more...

homer
02-13-2003, 01:15 AM
Actually, I do run servers, but I prefer to use FreeBSD for those. I have severa game servers, webservers, and an email server all running on FreeBSD. I use linux here at home on an old comp and don't need to run a server on it.

But still, I can't justify spending the money on a bigger drive that I woudnlt use much of anyways. I will just continue to mess around with it and see what I can do.

cbreaker
02-13-2003, 01:16 AM
You could easily install the bare minimum on the machine you're planning on running the broken SEQ on, with X and stuff. Then, on a machine with lots of space, install linux into a Virtual Machine using VMWare or the like, install everything you need to compile SEQ on it. Then, compile SEQ on it. Once that's done, scp over the SEQ folder, and then "make install" on the machine with the little hard disk.

All you need on the little hard disk machine is simple make utils. I think you might need QT (you won't need the development libraries, but then again I am not sure if QT is anything BUT development libraries. So, I'm not certain.)

It's nicer to have the machine you run SEQ on be the same machine you compile it on, but it's not necessary. I've used the VMWare solution plenty of times because I've been screwing with the linux box and seq won't make, but it will run fine.

Really though, right now it's a moot point. SEQ is broken and personally I don't think it's going to come back anytime soon.

KennySP
02-16-2003, 12:38 PM
Damn straight you don't. 100 bucks is way, way too much to pay for a 20 gig drive given that 80 gig drives retail for less than that at CompUSA.

2% of 20G is 400M. I seriously doubt you are going to fit a Linux install, X, and then dev tools and libs required to build SEQ in 400M.

I've installed SEQ on a P75 laptop with 24MB of ram and a 512MB hard drive with 30MB of free space left.

FVWM2, X, required dev tools, etc.

I believe I used RedHat 6.0 at the time. So long as you keep the packages installed to a minimum, you'll have plenty of room.

KennySP