PDA

View Full Version : MS C++ vs SEQ Linux C++?

cheese_poker
02-11-2003, 10:40 AM
Hi,

SEQ motivated me to learn more about programming. I enrolled in a C++ course and it seems like everything in the world is Windows-centric. What they are teaching is neato and all, but come on ... what they are teaching isn't giving me any insight to the type of code that I see in SEQ.

So, to the guys that actually know what is going on -- how transferrable is the MS C++ stuff I am learning transferrable to a useful real application world?

Also, any insight as to the direction to take in terms of classes would be helpful. :)

Cheers,
Newb in training

casey
02-11-2003, 10:46 AM
SEQ Linux C++ ? ? ? ? ?

you mean gcc, the suite of GNU compilers, which are available on everything unix, and even windows.

everything you learn about the language will be directly applicable to every other c++ compiler. The windows specific API's you may learn, will not be applicable to other platforms. That said, they will help though, as once you are familiar with one toolkit, like MFC (SUCKS), picking up another like QT would be less difficult.

Ratt
02-11-2003, 11:07 AM
Yea, Casey pretty much covered it.

Basically, you need to take the basic 3 - 4 C++ courses before you get into the SEQ code.

C++ basics (say a 200 class)
C++ OOP (say a 230 level class)
C++ data structures (say a 250 level class)
C++ GUI programming (around a 250 - 300 level class)

Once you have that background, you will be ready to start digging into all sorts of neat things, including SEQ.

addicted.to.eq
02-12-2003, 08:13 AM
Excuse me, but...

this level class system u spoke of, is it a typical american system?

german here, and i still have no clue what this numbers mean :)

maybe someone can explain that to me, or tell me where to find more infos about that?

thx in advance

cattj
02-12-2003, 08:33 AM
200 classes are usually Undergraduate level classes.

Undergraduate college is the first 4 years (for some of us 5 or 6) after highschool. Any thing over 200 is generally considered graduate level or upper level undergraduate courses. Generally you start in the intro classes for your major around 200. Any classes that are related to your major but not necessarily for your major (ie "Math for English Majors" *this was a real class at the school I went to) are usually 100 level classes.

cheese_poker
02-12-2003, 10:56 AM
Thanks for the info. :)

I guess getting the terminology down is the first step. LOL. It's good to know, even if a fuzzy picture, the general path to follow.

Cheers.

casey
02-12-2003, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by addicted.to.eq
Excuse me, but...

this level class system u spoke of, is it a typical american system?

german here, and i still have no clue what this numbers mean :)

maybe someone can explain that to me, or tell me where to find more infos about that?

thx in advance

higher numbers generally mean higher level classes, im not familiar with the system ratt menitioned though.

The system we use here at the university of texas is

XYY where X == # of credit hours, and YY= course "level"

ie, 302 is a 3hr course, and 02 is an introductory level

0-40 is minor sequence, 41-80 are major sequence and 81-99 are post graduate classes under our system.

random information from casey !

vexor
02-12-2003, 12:58 PM
Guys,
I am currently taking an Algorithms and Data Structures class here in Austin,... curious to know what the focus was in terms of the "C++ GUI programming" classes you took... was there any QT or Python in the curriculum, or was it heavily Java and Windows based?

Ratt
02-12-2003, 03:55 PM
From most places I've seen, it's frigging Windows garbage. Recently, the local college here switched to .NET...

It's a real shame, but MS is offering such huge incentives for schools to teach to the MS "standard" that it's hard to fault schools for not taking advantage of it.

As an example of the henious actions of MS :) ... you can go check out Windows XP Pro from school media centers, and install it free as long as you are a student. Same goes for Visual Studio, etc...

Raistlin
02-13-2003, 10:56 AM
What i've seen most universities use as far as the numbering system for classes is as follows:

1xx - Generally introductory level classes (Freshman Level, first year of College/University). An example course from my alma mater (SP?) is introduction to programming (they ran us through a visual basic course to introduce functions, and some very basic programming information).

2xx - Foundation Classes. Things like basic algorithms, a basic c or c++ class, language structures classes, etc. Usually sophmore/late freshman level classes. These are usually considered your "core" classes. An example here would be my Algorithms I class, or something like Calc I.

3xx - Intermediate classes. Things like advanced algorithms, a C++ class dealing strictly with OOP or GUI Programming, the makeup of a programming language, etc. These are usually considered Junior level (3rd year) classes. They almost always have prerequisits of the 200 or 100 level classes, and will require that you have UNDERSTOOD your 200 level classes and have a pretty good foundation in programming. An example here would be an Algorithms II class, or a class on Assemblers, Linkers and Loaders (how to write the above).

4xx - Pre-Graduate or Advanced Classes. These are generally the most technical/advanced classes available and require a very good knowledge of the basic subject matter. Classes like Operating Systems (the makeup and the technical details of writing), Compilers (again, how to write your own programming language), etc. These are almost always Senior (4th) level classes and sometimes have restrictions on them that you need to be a Junior or Senior to even take them, as well as a fairly hard pre-req list.

In my school the xx was simply designation to seperate the classes and to link various levels of classes together. For instance CS280 was a class on theoretical language makeup (things like LALR parsers, touring machines, etc.), CS380 (prereq CS280) was a class on language makeup of the different languages and what a programming language should and could support (The differences between Cobol and C, and what recursion or function overloading really ment to a programming language). CS480 then (prereq CS380) was the compilers class which had you actually write a compiler for pascal (a language pretty close to pascal at least). It required you to build the language structures you learned about in CS280 and impliment the various language building blocks that were introduced in CS380.

Anyway, i'll stop hyjacking the thread with utterly useless information now and return everyone to their average everyday questions...

Is seq broke?

When will it be back up?

What's the search feature?

Is there a windows version?

:rolleyes: