PDA

View Full Version : VNC with SEQ

talven81
02-12-2003, 01:48 AM
My server is currently acting as a router for my LAN. I do not have the room for two computers besides each other so it is currently on the other side of a wall which kind of defeats the purpose of SEQ.

I got to thinking of the idea and checked VNC (a remote desktop solution) to see if they had a linux version. I was in luck they DO! I installed it on my server and connected to my server from my windows box to see if I could run SEQ remotely. Again luck was on my side. SEQ ran fine ( Aside from the fact the data encoding has changed and I have to wait for the new version of SEQ... Keep up the good work! ), and thanks to the ability to view the desktop now I can view SEQ in the background.

I thought there might be some others out there in the same situation and would like to know of this solution.

SurfAngel
02-12-2003, 03:59 AM
IMO, VNC is one of the worst implementation of remote control out there. It is brute force, it is slow, and its delta calculation creates way too much network traffic. The only redeeming quality is that it is thin client.

Lyroschen
02-12-2003, 04:16 AM
Originally posted by SurfAngel
IMO, VNC is one of the worst implementation of remote control out there. It is brute force, it is slow, and its delta calculation creates way too much network traffic. The only redeeming quality is that it is thin client.

I currently use my laptop (running Windows XP), set beside my desktop monitor, and with VNC software, I display SEQ from my Linux box located on the other side of the room. Considering your remarks about VNC, what would you recommend instead to allow me to display SEQ on my laptop?

I should note that I have run SEQ directly from my laptop both as a linux native, and using VM ware. Although it worked, it was less convenient to have it installed on my laptop, instead of pulling it from the Linux box and merely displaying on the laptop.

LordCrush
02-12-2003, 07:23 AM
I have up to 4 or 5 SEQ-Sessions running on my Linux-Box in the cellar ...

VNC works great, and you dont need an expensive win32 X-
Server ...

I may be not as efficent with the bandwith, but it works ... BTW have you tried the TightVNC Version ?

Dedpoet
02-12-2003, 07:51 AM
I run TightVNC on all my servers at work. Network bandwidth is not an issue (and most likely isn't in your house either) and it works great.

www.tightvnc.com

Spook
02-12-2003, 08:06 AM
I use Winaxe 7.2 which has accelerated graphics.

I tried XFree86 for windows but had config issues out the whazoo and it never did work correctly up to the point I said to hell with it and purchased Winaxe.

I haven't tried Tight VNC but do use the original one which is, indeed, slow.

Vertigo1
02-12-2003, 09:39 AM
I use X-Win32 it is simple and one heck of a great XServer for windows...