PDA

View Full Version : A very interesting message on Test last night

Jel321
02-12-2003, 08:02 AM
A dev broadcast last eve that you are if you are constantly going LD and you use a certain macro program that it does not work very well with EQ anymore. He added a little :) after the message.

That certain macro program has to be MacroQuest. Now, what this means, if anything, for the future of SEQ we can debate.

Could they be watching to see if memory is being read and then cutting your link to the server? If so, then the key readers would be in the same boat i think.

Nothing can stop the GPS functionality near as i can tell but are the days of full decode truly over? And no, Im not saying SEQ is dead or anything of the sort. If it was never more than a GPS, SEQ would still have been the best thing to ever happen to EQ and one of the only reasons i have played for as long as i have.

J

Alfred
02-12-2003, 09:00 AM
No. I really doubt that EQ is causing you to go LD on purpose. Don't stir up worries over crap you and I have no idea about.

If someone takes the time to disassemble the code and finds that they are.... then you can worry.

If I had to throw out a guess, the macro program and EQ are having problems because one of them is not getting enough CPU time to do their job anymore (EQ). But I think that is a real stretch. More than likely the in game statment was just a jab to try and get macro users to worry about what they are doing.

Seems it worked :p

Jel321
02-12-2003, 09:31 AM
You dont think this was a relevant thing to post considering all thats happening?

Tons of people were petitioning that they were going LD. The dev's put that message up. How is that any different than Rowyl coming into SEQ chat and saying the changes made when PoP came out were to beak SEQ?

edited: out the pointless stuff

EQDoze
02-12-2003, 10:29 AM
MQ goes a bit beyond simply reading memory.

Don't try to parallel it with applications that only read memory.

cattj
02-12-2003, 10:42 AM
I've seen this with normal apps... sometimes I alt-tab to look something up on the web... but eq slows down IE... so to combat this iI raise the priority of IE to high... the other day shortly after I did this I went LD...

Same thing happens if you lower the priority of EQ (which I do sometimes when I'm just bazaar selling)... but recently this has been causing me to go LD as well.

Jel321
02-12-2003, 10:49 AM
Hey all i know is what i posted. Ive played on test since a month after release and I have never seen them broadcast a message like that.

and you'll notice my post had questions not assumptions.

I seriously thought people would be interested in knowing this. Guess not :/

btw: I dont and have never run macroquest

casey
02-12-2003, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by Jel321
A dev broadcast last eve that you are if you are constantly going LD and you use a certain macro program that it does not work very well with EQ anymore. He added a little :) after the message.

That certain macro program has to be MacroQuest. Now, what this means, if anything, for the future of SEQ we can debate.

Could they be watching to see if memory is being read and then cutting your link to the server? If so, then the key readers would be in the same boat i think.

Nothing can stop the GPS functionality near as i can tell but are the days of full decode truly over? And no, Im not saying SEQ is dead or anything of the sort. If it was never more than a GPS, SEQ would still have been the best thing to ever happen to EQ and one of the only reasons i have played for as long as i have.

J

wont effect showeq.

MQ is being seen because mq activly changes code with its hooks into the command list and other things it does. Modification is easy to spot.

Showeq keysniffers just look. Looking is not easy to spot.

Dark
02-12-2003, 12:12 PM
I'm not on the test server and not running anything i shouldnt :) and went LD 3 times last night for no reason. 1st time in the last 4 weeks.
There was a new lot of files downloaded when i logged on but they prob were for the new expansion.

just my 2c

casey
02-12-2003, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Alfred
If I had to throw out a guess, the macro program and EQ are having problems because one of them is not getting enough CPU time to do their job anymore (EQ). But I think that is a real stretch. More than likely the in game statment was just a jab to try and get macro users to worry about what they are doing.

Seems it worked :p

no, eq is activly monitoring certain sections of ram which is crosschecked with the server, and if the server decides its not what it should be, it sends a packet causing immediate disconnect.

certainly on purpose, and not a problem with cputime.

Jel321
02-12-2003, 12:18 PM
Thanks Casey.

Thats what i was looking for.

J

LordCrush
02-12-2003, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by casey
and if the server decides its not what it should be

But a problem of a program that alters the game not only reads memory ...