PDA

View Full Version : Define the terms please

Scorpius
02-15-2003, 01:24 PM
I have just a general knowledge question guys. If I get flamed, that's ok. I did use the search button to see if I could find the answer myself, but was unable to. Perhaps I didn't search properly. Anyway...

I DO know how to d/l the newest libEQ.a
I DO know how to run the CVS update

My question is, what are these? I mean, is the libEQ.a the actual ShowEQ program? The app that IS ShowEQ and the CVS update is the proceedure on how to install it? I'm still fairly new to Linux, and with the help of the forums here, I was able to install Linux and setup ShowEQ. But unfortunally I'm still grounded in that which is Microsoft Winbloz hell. Could someone please define the terms in verbiage that I could equate to a Windows platform?

Do I have the proper understanding as stated above correct? As in libEQ.a=ShowEQ program, CVS Update=Proceedure on HOW to install the new program (ShowEQ). Or am I completely off base (Which wouldn't suprise me at all)

Scorpius

*Flame suit on*
*Potion of fire resistance taken*
*Resist fire cast*

Walk into Naggy's Lair...

*sigh*

casey
02-15-2003, 01:38 PM
CVS is Concurrent Versioning System. It is a system to maintain code, in versioned states. Every version of showeq since it was imported to sf is in cvs. Every time any file is changed, the changes are recorded. You can checkout any version of a file you want.

when you do a "normal checkout", ie "cvs co showeq", you are checking out the HEAD branch, which means you get the most current version of every file in the main branch. Now, when i or other people change the code, we'll commit changes back up to CVS. At this point, there is newer code in CVS than on your disk. A CVS update will look at your local copy, and the most current versions of files in cvs, and then send you a diff, and bring all your files up to date, ie, it updates them to whats most current in CVS. By the nature of diff's, your local changes to showeq, if any, will be preserved through an update process (and usually not create conflicts).

libEQ.a is library archive, containing one object, which then contains compiled code that performs the decryption of the EQ data stream. You can use showeq without it, you just would not be able to more than basic GPS functionality.

in linux, a .a is basically equivlent to a windows .lib file. static linking libraries. (.so or .dll being dynamic linking libraries).

Nieither is showeq. CVS just contains the files that make up cvs, and a means to for everyone to synchronize to the most up to date files, and libEQ is a closed source module that enables some extra functionality within showeq. Showeq, the program, is built and installed by you when you follow the instructions contained in the INSTALL file.

jgorrell
02-15-2003, 02:02 PM
*You resisted the Draught of Fire spell*

Good question actually, i was wondering this myself :P

Hlapmoop
02-15-2003, 04:38 PM
Helps me a good deal.

Manaweaver
02-15-2003, 07:20 PM
I don't think the flaming on this board is equivalent to a Draught of Fire... more of a Strike of Solusek... or perhaps a mage's banishing.......

Good thread thoug.