PDA

View Full Version : Screenshot in Linux?

sauron
02-17-2003, 06:43 PM
As you all know, in the Windows desktop, you can hit the PrintScreen or ALT-Printscreen buttons to copy the desktop screen or current window with focus to the cut & paste buffer. And then load Paint Shop Pro or Paint and paste it, and save it.

Is there a way to do this in the Linux desktop? I have a need to save various ShowEq screens to a graphic file.

Thanks for any pointers....

Sauron

KaL
02-17-2003, 09:18 PM
You know, this is one of those things that I don't know how to do either, but I'm not so helpless that I have to ask everything from people.

Google works great. Go look.

sauron
02-18-2003, 06:32 AM
Thanks for the helpful response. Say, why don't we just shut down this message board and use GOOGLE for all our needs?

If you don't know how to do it then PLEASE refrain from posting on this thread.

EDIT -- Soon no one will post anything on here due to the non-helpful responses on this message board. Either get flamed for not using search on this board, or get a response that says go to GOOGLE and search there.

I admit that this information might be out there on Goggle search and I guess I should have known better than to post anything like this here on this message board. And now 10,000 of you will probably search Goggle and post here how easy it was, and what a helpless moron I am for asking this question. Why not try and be helpful and reply with the answer instead of that?

I understand the "use search" response when it's been discussed on this board but this hasn't been (that I could find).

** Did it ever occur to you that other ShowEQ users might be interested in this? Even YOU perhaps?

tamasine
02-18-2003, 07:44 AM
it's a question i'd expect on a linux message board. you're right, others may be interested - but with that argument you could have just posted a "for info, this is how" message.
I don't think there is "a way" to do this. linux uses X. there are X screen-grabbers from my long-time-ago memory that'll dump the screen, or a window to a bitmap. xv i think can do this.. but is likely hopelessly outdated/matched by some custom screen-grab software you could find.

t.

[edit 11 seconds gets me something called xgrabsc which'll do screenshots. i'm sure there're more. but there seem to be suse/rpm/probably debian packages for this one]

Ratt
02-18-2003, 09:23 AM
I'm gonna have to go with it being a legit question... chill on the flames for simple shit.

Think WWRD if you aren't sure when it's appropriate to flame :)

Fantastik
02-18-2003, 10:26 AM
I use Gimp cause its installed on my box to either dump a window or an entire screen. There are literally dozens of ways/programs to do it.

Fatal
02-18-2003, 10:51 AM
KDE has an application for it. click the K in the task bar, go to graphics and you should find something call screen capture.

In Gnome it's:

You can take a screenshot in any of the following ways:

Use the Actions menu

To take a screenshot of the entire screen, choose Actions->Screenshot. A Screenshot dialog is displayed. To save the screenshot, select the Save screenshot to file option. Enter the path and filename for the screenshot in the drop-down combination box. Alternatively, to save the screenshot to another directory, click Browse. When you select a directory, click OK.

You can also save the screenshot to the desktop background. To save the screenshot to the desktop background, select the Save screenshot to desktop option.

Use shortcut keys

To take a screenshot, use the following shortcut keys:

Default Shortcut Keys
Function

Print Screen
Takes a screenshot of the entire screen, and displays the Screenshot dialog. Use the Screenshot dialog to save the screenshot.

Alt+Print Screen
Takes a screenshot of the window that has focus, and displays the Screenshot dialog. Use the Screenshot dialog to save the screenshot.

You can use the Keyboard Shortcuts preference tool to modify the default shortcut keys.

Use a command

You can use the gnome-panel-screenshot command to take a screenshot. The gnome-panel-screenshot command takes a screenshot of the entire screen, and displays the Screenshot dialog. Use the Screenshot dialog to save the screenshot.

You can also use options on the gnome-panel-screenshot command as follows:

Option
Function

--window
Takes a screenshot of the window that has focus, and displays the Screenshot dialog. Use the Screenshot dialog to save the screenshot.

--delay=seconds
Takes a screenshot after the specified number of seconds, and displays the Screenshot dialog. Use the Screenshot dialog to save the screenshot.

--help
Displays the options for the command.

Aardvark
02-18-2003, 03:58 PM
Fatal, we will not tolerate helpful posts here. Jeezbus, next thing you know people are gonna be asking how to fix a sandwich!!

Fatal
02-18-2003, 04:33 PM
Curses, foiled again!

sauron
02-18-2003, 04:49 PM
Ha! Thanks all for the help! Got a good laugh on this thread after all =)

KaL
02-18-2003, 08:41 PM
Thanks for that helpful response concerning ShowEQ general topics, Fatal.

I found out the same thing that you posted after I replied. I used Google.

Jesus Christ, you guys usually go overboard flaming people for a LOT more on-topic questions than an OS question.

Hey, my serial port isn't working on my Linux box.
Who can help me with that?

sauron
02-18-2003, 10:23 PM
But Iraq/Iran, Linux Certs, windows for large scale (need I go on) are "on topic" ?

Dedpoet
02-18-2003, 11:26 PM
No, they weren't on-topic, but were started when ShowEQ was down, and there wasn't anything in topic to talk about.

casey
02-19-2003, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by sauron
Is there a way to do this in the Linux desktop? I have a need to save various ShowEq screens to a graphic file.

Thanks for any pointers....

Sauron

install imagemagick and then

import -window root screenshot.jpg

that will get the whole screen right into the jpeg, if you just want the showeq window, you can play with the -window option to just grab that windows contents to file.

easy, and works regardless of what window manager you run.

eggman
02-19-2003, 09:53 AM
On the issue of "On-Topic". Ratt, or whoever setup the board descriptions, labelled this board as "ShowEQ General Discussion : This forum is for talking about ShowEQ and general chatter".

In my interpretation, all of the discussions in this sub-board are "on-topic" as they clearly fall under the topic of "general chatter".

If this were the Dev board etc. I would agree that the issue of on-topic was relavent. On this board however, I would say that everything is "on-topic".

Cheers,
-Egg

tamasine
02-19-2003, 09:57 AM
offtopic i could deal with. it was just that i can't understand someone putting the effort of writing a 50-100 word post to find something out that i managed by putting 2 words into google and taking possibly the 2nd hit. as i said, if it was "hey, i had this problem and look what i found to do it" no problem.. but this really was trivially searchable.
t.

KaL
02-19-2003, 04:03 PM
I personally don't mind offtopic posts all that much..

It's just that this place has a real history of flaming people who don't use the Search button and/or Google.

No hate, just appeared to be a contradiction to me, based on reading this board since it was created, and reading the Hackersquest board and using ShowEQ since before there was encryption.

sauron
02-19-2003, 09:53 PM
I don't see why some of you are still WHINING about this thread. There are a lot of helpful posts popping up here on the subject. And then there are a lot of NOT VERY helpful posts. Why don't you whiners go some where else, and let us who are reading this thread for constuctive purposes leave us alone. You others go start your own "Why we like to whine" thread in the general discussion group (yes, it's allowed -- go ahead, I won't criticize you for it).

And if you are trying to get ShowEQ to output data to your serial port, and it's not working, by all means, post a message in the general discussion group, if we can help we will. If we can't we won't flame you for asking. If this crap continues, I'll just quit posting here. And yes, I do try to answer and help people when I can here.

Now -- ON TOPIC here.... I didn't seem to have a "screen capture" app in my KDE installation. Maybe I can find that on the install CD. I am running 7.2 Redhat if that matters.

Thanks Casey, I'll see if I can find imagemagic also! I really appreciate the help!

Fantastik
02-20-2003, 09:17 AM
Its called KSnapshot.. in Kde 3.1 (Gentoo) its under my K->Graphiccs->More Programs->KSnapshot.

Never new it was even there till today :P

sauron
02-20-2003, 02:35 PM
I don't even have a "Graphics" section on my "K" menu (and I've looked through all of them). Maybe it's something with the way I installed KDE/Linux.

Fantastik
02-20-2003, 04:15 PM
Remove your current lame distro. Install Gentoo. emerge kde. You now have it. :P

Seriously. Linux isnt worth running without Gentoo :P

Aardvark
02-21-2003, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by tamasine
offtopic i could deal with. it was just that i can't understand someone putting the effort of writing a 50-100 word post to find something out that i managed by putting 2 words into google and taking possibly the 2nd hit. as i said, if it was "hey, i had this problem and look what i found to do it" no problem.. but this really was trivially searchable.
t.

In the time it took me to read your cry baby whiney post about this thread I could have clicked somewhere else. Better yet, next time why don't you conserve the energy and click on another post

kplxthx