PDA

View Full Version : Compiled version

Lilwolf
02-18-2003, 01:44 PM
I've never used SEQ before, but I've been thinking about trying it.

The trouble I have I only have one linux machine at home... And it's a firewall that is setup for my work.

Not a big deal there... but for security, I'm not allowed to install a compiler on it. (since it's a security whole).

Is there anyplace to get it or am I going to have to load them, compile it, and kill my compiler?

Thanks

Cryonic
02-18-2003, 02:43 PM
How is a compiler a security hole? it can't be remotely accessed or exploited.

casey
02-18-2003, 03:40 PM
lilwolf: just install the same distro at home and build showeq there, and then you can use on the machines at work. You dont neccesarily need the same distro, but it makes compatibility issues with libraries and compiler versions less of a problem.

an easy way to build showeq to move is like this

mkdir /tmp/showeq

then go to your showeq dir

make -f Makefile.dist
./configure --prefix=/tmp/showeq
make
make install

this will install showeq into /tmp/showeq, and from here you can just tar up that directory and get it onto your work machine and you'll be good to go.

Ratt
02-18-2003, 04:27 PM
A compiler on a box is a security issue from hell.

If your box gets hacked, and you don't have a compiler, the hacker is going to have to bring all his own tools, which is a major pain.

Lilwolf
02-25-2003, 12:16 PM
The trouble is when an exploit comes out... people will try every ip address they can find through scripts that will hack in, modify the kernal or some other part of the system (so the exploit itself is only used once) and then from that point on they have free rain on your computer...

So in the morning the hackers get a list of all the ip addresses they have full access to until the person reinstalls.

but most wont keep a list of systems they broke into, and couldn't do anything...