strip "/opt/qt-3.0.5/doc/html/"
strip /opt/qt-3.0.5/doc/html/: Is a directory
gmake[2]; *** [install_docs] Error 1
gmake[2]; Leaving directory '/usr/lib/qt-3.0.5/src'
gmake[1]; *** [src-install] Error 2
gmake[1]; Leaving directory '/usr/lib/qt-3.0.5/'
gmake[1] *** [install] Error 2

I read the tread about installing QT and this seemed relevant:

gmake install (you will need to be root for this stage, use either /bin/su or sudo )

I was running everything from the /usr/lib/qt-3.0.5/ directory
so far I ran:

export CC=gcc3 ; export CXX=g==3 ; export QTDIR=/usr/lib/qt-3.0.5
./configure -thread --prefix=opt/qt-3.0.5
gmake
gmake install (where the errors came from)

I tried running gmake install from /root/ but got:
gmake; *** No rule to make target 'install'. Stop.

anyone have some suggestions?

showeqnewb
02-18-2003, 06:57 PM
I am logged in as root and there were no complie errors up to gmake install

casey
02-18-2003, 07:50 PM
CC and CXX environment variables have no effect on the qt compile. QTDIR should be set to the directory the qt source is untarred to.

to change your compiler, you need to edit the platform files within the source tree.

the prefix option to configure is also meaningless. Its not an autoconf configure script. QT doesnt "install", it builds itself into the bin, lib and include directories of the current dir (which is also QTDIR).

looks like you could use a good dose of reading the QT documentation.

so go to it.

showeqnewb
02-18-2003, 09:31 PM
I was following these directions
http://seq.sourceforge.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2690&highlight=installing+qt

Edit the qmake.conf in mkspecs/linux-g++/ of the source directory.
export QTDIR=(path to your source)
./configure -thread --prefix=/opt/qt-x11-free-3.0.5
gmake
gmake install (you will need to be root for this stage, use either /bin/su or sudo )

The "export CC=gcc3 ; export CXX=g==3 ; export QTDIR=/usr/lib/qt-3.0.5" command should have been:
export QTDIR=/usr/lib/qt-3.0.5

The command I listed was when I scrolled back to far on the used commands list to see what all i typed.

So the actual commands I used are:
export QTDIR=/usr/lib/qt-3.0.5
./configure -thread --prefix=opt/qt-3.0.5
gmake
gmake install

eggman
02-20-2003, 08:24 AM
I'm begining to wonder if this is a bug that surfaces in certain platforms and distrobutions. What linux distrobution are you running ?

Casey is correct about QT not using autoconf, he is mistaken about it being meaningless though. The -prefix is a valid option.

From configure:

case $VAR in
prefix)
QT_INSTALL_PREFIX="$VAL"
;;

A recursive grep for the var "QT_INSTALL_PREFIX" will show it's usage throughout the compile and implementation.

The only issue I see with the syntax you've posted is in your prefix variable. In your example you left off the leading "/" from /opt. While I would doubt this would present itself as a showstopper, it is the only thing that jumps out at me as being an issue. The prefix option should always be an absolute path value, if for no other reason than safety.

You are not alone in have the install stage issue. Many people have posted with the same issue. Fortunatly, it is possible to skip this stage altogether. You can move the whole source directory to wherever you wanted the prefix path to be and everything will work fine. It is also possible that your build is in place, the makefile is pretty large but stripping might not happen until late in the process. If all else fails, just move the directory to where you want it.

Cheers,
-Egg

It would be ideal if we could recognize some pattern in the people's OS's that are having this issue

showeqnewb
02-20-2003, 08:51 AM
Thanks so much for looking at this, I am useing Redhat 8.0.

The /opt error was probably just a typo here on the mssg board.

I do believe that i was able to build it correctly when i switched to 3.1.1 but I am not positive. Some dumb arse cut our cable companies main connection so I cannot get to the internet to download the new seq files to see if they compile correctly.

Once again thanks very much for posting an helpful reply.

Iam_Walrus
02-20-2003, 11:27 AM
Redhat 8.0 comes with QT 3.0.5, there's no need to compile it again. Simply install the appropriate QT packages during your initial install, or from the new package management system.