PDA

View Full Version : Segfault: "error: size > left..."

cheeze69
02-21-2003, 10:59 AM
Hi,

[EDIT: I meant "packet" and not "packed"]

I'm trying to run the latest (packet-scrambling fix) SEQ on a RH8.0 machine (which I have been running SEQ on until now) and I'm experiencing frequent core dumps and other minor issues which might be related.

Previously, SEQ was running fine. I had Qt-2.3.2 installed (because it was required back when I started using SEQ on this machine) . I tried compiling the new SEQ with 2.3.2 and it had the same problems.

I removed the 2.3.2 libraries/etc. and fresh-built (yesterday) Qt-3.1.1 and I'm still having the same problems.

I can start SEQ and most of the time, things are fine. Sometimes, though, I have to zone when I first enter the game to get the spawns to decode (but not always).

Anyway, after some period of time, I will notice that my character's position on the map is not updating, yet I can /con a mob and SEQ will draw a line from my bogus position to the mob that is near my real position. It's like it's missing the character movement packets or something.

So, when this happens, sometimes SEQ recovers and continues working. Other times, I get a segfault with info about "error: size > left (size=198, left=53, opcode=0x0091)" and "PrcoessPacket() Inflate Error: inflateRes=-3 msg=unknown compression method"

Anway, I'll attach a short logfile so you may see the errors in context if that is helpful. Below is a snippet of the log file. Any ideas what is going wrong?

Thanks!

===========================================
SPELL: You begin casting <Spell XXX>. Current Target is a_zone_mob03(1481)
selfStartSpellCast - id=241
error: size > left (size=198, left=53, opcode=0x0091)
error: size > left (size=198, left=61, opcode=0x0091)
error: size > left (size=198, left=28, opcode=0x00b8)
error: size > left (size=148, left=147, opcode=0x022f)
error: size > left (size=23, left=0, opcode=0x004d)
PrcoessPacket() Inflate Error: inflateRes=-3 msg=unknown compression method
error: size > left (size=72, left=22, opcode=0x9f5b)
error: size > left (size=198, left=53, opcode=0x00ec)
decompression failed on 0x839f
decompr
===========================================
The last line is incomplete because of the segfault.

LordCrush
02-21-2003, 11:12 AM
Hmm have you read in the forum a *little* about the status of SEQ ?

Mvern fixed so much of the new network packet structure that it is working mostly, but much is unknown atm and seq tries to process it with the old algorithm ... mostly coming out with an errormsg ... but sometimes :D

Its great that it works with the new protocol as well as it does ... stabiliy will return after the protocol get more stable!

cheeze69
02-21-2003, 11:31 AM
Yeah, I know this is an "unofficial" release, but I thought that maybe there might be something obvious that I could check. I've been scouring the boards for anything I might be able to fix (ie. suggesting it might be something wrong with my install), but I did not find much, so I thought I'd throw it "out there" since more eyes are better than just mine.

No biggie -- just hoping it was a boneheaded move on my behalf.

Thanks

quackrabbit
02-21-2003, 12:28 PM
Not sure what zone you are in or what you're doing, but as of last night, the latests CVS was not doing this for me after several hours of use.

LordCrush
02-21-2003, 01:27 PM
QR ,

I know this discrepances .. a friend of mine told me he was running SEQ hours while we were playing in the same grp ... my SEQ crashed 3 or 4 times ... mostly equal linux setup and same CVS...

/shrug ... we will see

Iam_Walrus
02-21-2003, 02:51 PM
I've noticed that mine's running best with KDE. Other WM's have had varying degrees of success for me with gnome coming in dead last with all sorts of problems including looping crashes.

Just my 2¢

LordCrush
02-21-2003, 03:37 PM
I have normally running 3 instances (using VNC),
2 use WM and 1 use KDE ... all keep crashing random :p, but not as the same time /

cheeze69
02-21-2003, 05:32 PM
I'll add my setup to the discussion also. I am actually using a Winbloze laptop with WinaXe to display SEQ, so I'm using neither KDE or Gnome -- I just pop Xterms.

I also have a friend who can run the current SEQ for hours without issue, whereas I'm limited to (usually) about 20 minutes or less. Go figure...

Oh well -- hopefully LoY does not turn things too badly for "the worse" and make life difficult for the devels. ;)