PDA

View Full Version : Continuous Alerts

Resiliant
02-21-2003, 11:52 AM
I've done a couple of searches and can't find anything on this.. Im suspecting it may be just a good idea...Or perhaps I'm being presumptuous

I'm currently camping Quillmane in SK. As most of you know, this is an EXTREMELY rare spawn, and arguably the most frustrating camp in the game. My problem is, I have a 'Hunt' filter set up for him, and the proper audio setup, which works just fine, even defined my own audio segment to play, but the audio is only played once when the spawn occurs. I may, in fact, be away from the machine at this moment, or doing something else. Is there a facility in the current system to repeatedly play an audio segment, say every second or two, till an acknowledgement is made, or the alarm turned off?

R

fester
02-21-2003, 01:47 PM
No there isn't.

casey
02-21-2003, 02:05 PM
Is there a facility in the current system to repeatedly play an audio segment, say every second or two, till an acknowledgement is made, or the alarm turned off?

yes.

Resiliant
02-21-2003, 02:08 PM
Wow, cool a dev!

Could you maybe give me ONE word to search on? I've tried alarm, continuous alert, alerts, filters, repeat filters -- nothing.

R

casey
02-21-2003, 02:36 PM
i'll give you a couple

xml config shell script

Dedpoet
02-21-2003, 06:57 PM
To give you a little more direction, basically the "alert" can do anything. You need to write a script that does what you want to do (beep 100 times, play Inna-gadda-de-vida.mp3), etc. Then just change the "alert" to run that script instead of play a beep.

fester
02-22-2003, 12:25 AM
I answered the question "no" because there is not inherent method inside seq to do so.

If you expand to include writing shell scripts to extend the features of seq to include initiating a background task to ping the user with a sound, that should NOT be considered a part of seq.

The primary reason for my "no" was that if any user is ignorant enough to ask the question, it would be unrealistic to assume he is capable of writing the script to solve the problem.

Resiliant
02-22-2003, 01:33 AM
Actually, I can easily write a shell script to accomplish this, but know what? I think I'll just code it into the routine, where it actually DOES the fork of the shell process to run the command... a lot easier actually, and quicker... and more reliable.

casey
02-22-2003, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by fester
I answered the question "no" because there is not inherent method inside seq to do so.

If you expand to include writing shell scripts to extend the features of seq to include initiating a background task to ping the user with a sound, that should NOT be considered a part of seq.

The primary reason for my "no" was that if any user is ignorant enough to ask the question, it would be unrealistic to assume he is capable of writing the script to solve the problem.

it may not be directly inherent, but its no different than the way most unix utilities are used (cat/sed/awk/perl/grep and friends feeding eachother piped data, etc). ShowEQ runs a command for its alerts, and you can make it run any command you want. 2+2=4.

i do agree with your last paragraph.

LordCrush
02-23-2003, 06:06 AM

Casey and Fester,

i think this goes a little far ... not everybody is so used to this than you, but with this hint, i would surely be able to write that script, but i dont think i had found that solution quickly ...

btw good tip :D