PDA

View Full Version : FreeBSD 4.7stable Install Help Please

pagan
02-25-2003, 11:45 PM
First off great site! FAQ answerd alot of questions and Search answerd even more! Lots of good info on SourceForge.net as well. You guys rock :)

Still having some issues getting this to install and run under FreeBSD 4.7-STABLE. Read through tons of posts, have learned ALOT but still need help :(

Segv's thread here really helps: http://seq.sourceforge.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=804&highlight=Freebsd so did NEWBIE.install

Installed all ports he said were dependant there. Only had problems with this "lib z" which really I couldnt find anywhere... so a friend and I figured it was actually "zlib" Is this true?

Qt for 4.7stable is already the proper version, so I didnt have to go thorugh that (thank god) qt-3.0.5_3

Checked out the latest version of showEQ from the CVS repository. Was looking for the freeBSD specific Module mentioned here: http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?forum_id=37977 but there is none?

Read through NEWBIE.install and followed all instructions with no problems.

Now I figured I'd atleast downlaod the patch cited in Segv's thread so I would have it when needed. Too bad that link dont work anymore! So of course, back to the Search button; only to find I should have just clicked on the Patches button haha :) I see the patch "freebsd pcap-latency and compile patch" but I dont quite understand how I'm supposed to get it and execute it. In this post here http://seq.sourceforge.net/showthread.php?threadid=1627&highlight=freebsd+AND+patch Casey explains to "cvs -z3 diff -c > fbsd.diff" Is this correct? I'm not following how thats going to patch...

OK! So I'm ready to "export" right? Well there is no export in freeBSD tcsh . My friend told me 'well just use sentenv VAR VALUE' and that just flew RIGHT over my head... any help here? I'm stumped at this point. :(

I know I'll prolly get flamed but honestly I have tried very hard to do as much as I could befor having to post here. Google, FAQ and Search here have been my best friends for a couple days but since this isnt your typical "install Redhat 8, do this exacly and have fun" I'm having a bit of trouble.

Any help would be greatly appriciated, thank you.

(please note I'm a complete noob to freeBSD so assume nothing when replying, becuase I know nothing :) )

Iam_Walrus
02-26-2003, 10:36 AM
Looks like they deprecated the freebsd module some time ago. Looking at the changes log, I think the patch made it into CVS last year and you no longer need to grab it from segv's site:
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/seq/showeq/CHANGES?rev=1.107&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup (look for the change on 03/01/02)

I think it would help the folks that would be able to give you advice on FreeBSD (not me!) if they knew exactly where you were with your compile process for seq.

For example, have you begun compiling yet? What specific errors are you encountering?

casey
02-26-2003, 12:01 PM
qt may be the right version, but unless its compiled against gcc 3 or better, you'll need to recompile it.

Also, the freebsd support hasnt really been active in a while, so you are going to have to know enough about your box and freebsd to do it yourself. If you need a guide or hand-holding, install linux and use one of the many guides out there. If you do get it working on freebsd, be sure to write up a guide so that others may be helped.

and yes, use setenv in tcsh, its not a freebsd thing, just a tcsh thing. if you would rather export so that you dont have to learn anything, install bash.

in short, its going to be a lot of you having to think for yourself and not rely on guides to get it up in freebsd. good luck.

Pooly
02-26-2003, 05:00 PM
See my post in this thread: http://seq.sourceforge.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1837
and the link I posted in there.

I haven't had a chance to see how the CVS changes of this year have affected things (SEQ box has a busted HD). I expect you may have to patch some things by hand.

pagan
02-26-2003, 07:49 PM
Sorry to waste your time guys, I think I'll just stop banging my head against the monitor and installed RedHat 8. Already got it downloaded, just need to burn the CDs and install.

Maybe when I'm more unix savy I'll tackle such a project.

Thanks.

fester
02-26-2003, 08:26 PM
Casey is dead on.

FreeBSD 4.7 contains gcc 2.95 and FreeBSD 5.0 contains gcc 3.2.1
compiler.

You will likely have no luck at all with FreeBSD 4.7 until you recompile QT with a gcc3 *AND* most likely all the linked libraries (like libc), so your best bet (if you need FreeBSD) is to upgrade (cvsup it and make world) to 5.0 system.

libz = zlib, yes.

As for FreeBSD specific patches, try to configure and make without any patches first. FreeBSD 5.0 should be able to pass ./configure's tests. I don't know what is in the FreeBSD patch, but I doubt it is really important. Look at what was changed (by less filename) and examine those sections of code in the current seq. I don't run FreeBSD on my seq box.

"cvs -z3 diff -c > fbsd.diff" is likely wrong, ">" creates a file. I presume this command is supposed to apply your existing fbsd.diff file? However I didn't read the linked thread to get a better context.

As for "export", either run /bin/sh first then type the export commands or map them like "export LIVEBOOBIES=yes" to "setenv LIVEBOOBIES yes". This is a csh vs sh/bash/ksh deal.

One other alternative (which WILL work) is to install Linux compat, install a linux compat mode and linux_devtools-7.1, then change the GCC in the make files for seq to use the Linux compiler and compile up a native (redhat 7.1) version of seq, download a working RPM of qt for linux and run seq under emulation mode.

If you have no "need" to run FreeBSD and am new to it, your probably better off using RedHat 8 as it is a more vanilla system.

casey
02-26-2003, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by fester
"cvs -z3 diff -c > fbsd.diff" is likely wrong, ">" creates a file. I presume this command is supposed to apply your existing fbsd.diff file? However I didn't read the linked thread to get a better context.

that was taken out of context, i was telling someone how to take thier freebsd specific changes, and create a diff they could upload to the patch section or email to me.

Pooly
02-27-2003, 03:22 AM
I got it working on FreeBSD 4.6-stable with some effort. It wasn't significantly more work than it's taken me to get ShowEQ or SINS working on FreeBSD in the past.

FreeBSD 4.7 contains gcc 2.95 and FreeBSD 5.0 contains gcc 3.2.1 compiler.

You will likely have no luck at all with FreeBSD 4.7 until you recompile QT with a gcc3 *AND* most likely all the linked libraries (like libc), so your best bet (if you need FreeBSD) is to upgrade (cvsup it and make world) to 5.0 system.

gcc3 is available as a port for the 4.x branch and doesn't conflict with the existing gcc 2.95.

I only needed to recompile Qt, and it wasn't that bad. I gave instructions if you follow the link in the post I linked above. The only thing I didn't figure out was how to make the custom compiled Qt load the alternate skins (it was looking at the standard directory and seeing that the Qt configuration strings didn't match). I wasn't really concerned about it though.

As for FreeBSD specific patches, try to configure and make without any patches first. FreeBSD 5.0 should be able to pass ./configure's tests. I don't know what is in the FreeBSD patch, but I doubt it is really important. Look at what was changed (by less filename) and examine those sections of code in the current seq. I don't run FreeBSD on my seq box.

Most of the changes involve using different header files. One change is to handle the use of a few gcc3-specific number conversion functions, and another is to handle linking in the Gnu getopt library.

As for "export", either run /bin/sh first then type the export commands or map them like "export LIVEBOOBIES=yes" to "setenv LIVEBOOBIES yes". This is a csh vs sh/bash/ksh deal.

env var1=foo var2=bar ./program -programargs
works too.