PDA

View Full Version : IPTABLES/Network Configuration problem

jaredb0t
02-26-2003, 05:00 PM
Ok, I've been working on configuring my network for a couple days now, and I think I have done everything correctly.

For background here is my setup.

Linux box = internet gateway (Redhat 7.2)
ppp0: modem (dynamic IP)
eth0: ethernet (192.168.0.1)

Windows box (windows xp pro)
ethernet adapter (192.168.0.2)
default gateway (192.168.0.1)

Anyway, I know the network cards are configured properly.. i can ping the windows box from the linux box and vice versa.

To configure IP tables I read the HOWTO guide: http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/IP-Masquerade-HOWTO/index.html

Ran the setup script, no errors.

The problem is, I can't access the internet on my windows box.

**EDIT**
Discovered my problem, the DNS configuration of the network on my Windows XP machine is not correct. I can ping and telnet to static IPs but can't telnet with DNS resolution.

But what do i put in for DNS I get all my DNS stuff automatically via my dial-up ISP.. (or do I?). I'll search further now that I have made some headway, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

compuboy86
02-26-2003, 05:11 PM
To clarify, your network configuration is:

Internet->Modem->Linux box->Windows Box

??

Compuboy86

jaredb0t
02-26-2003, 05:23 PM
Ya, thats correct.

Cryonic
02-26-2003, 05:35 PM
Are you using IPTables or IPChains? I would highly recommend IPTables.

Bottom post in this thread:

http://seq.sourceforge.net/showthread.php?threadid=566

jaredb0t
02-26-2003, 05:39 PM
HEheheheheheh, it wooooorrkkkkss!

I just filled out the DNS information on my windows machine with that I found in /etc/resolv.conf on my linux box. Seems like that will change if I dial into a different ISP, but it works for now.

If anyone knows of a more permanent solution (that wouldn't involve me altering my DNS server information every time I dial in to the internet) please let me know, other than that it woooorrrkkkss muahahahah I just did a little dance.

Sorry for the post, guess it helped me organize my thoughts.

-jared

Cryonic
02-26-2003, 07:44 PM
setup dhcpd on your linux box and have it dish out IPs and DNS information. Maybe even setup the NameD DNS caching daemon on the Gateway linux box also.