PDA

View Full Version : New install error

peanutym
02-27-2003, 10:25 PM
I am running redhat 8.0, brand new install of show eq. using the guide. the newbie guie.

This is for the compile. 1.9 on the newbie install

at the bottom when i type make install. gives the error you see. any hints would be helpful.
Also i have read alot about how you need gcc3. mine shows up as gcc instead of gcc3.

I have read that redhat 8. has gcc3 builtin and that this didnt matter. does it? if so where do i download gcc3.

thanks in advance

[root@localhost root]# cd /
[root@localhost /]# cd showeq
[root@localhost showeq]# export CC=gcc3
[root@localhost showeq]# export QTDIR=/usr/lib/qt-3.0.5
[root@localhost showeq]# make -f Makefile.dist
Adding libtool support...................................... done!
Generating aclocal.m4 from configure.in and acinclude.m4.... done!

Checking Autoheader version................................. done!
>> Using Autoheader version................................. Autoconf)
Roland

Free
free
even!

Generating configure template (config.h).................... done!
Generating Makefile.in from Makefile.am..................... done!

Checking Autoconf version................................... done!

>> Using Autoconf version................................... Autoconf)
David

Free
free
even!

Finalizing Autoconf script (configure)...................... done!
Releasing temporary file handles............................ done!

Success! Please type the following:

./configure && make

This will configure and compile ShowEQ...

If you are installing ShowEQ for the first
time, be sure to add '&& make install' to
the end of the compile process...

[root@localhost showeq]# ./configure
checking build system type... i686-pc-linux-gnu
checking host system type... i686-pc-linux-gnu
checking target system type... i686-pc-linux-gnu
checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
checking whether build environment is sane... yes
/showeq/missing: Unknown `--run' option
Try `/showeq/missing --help' for more information
configure: WARNING: `missing' script is too old or missing
checking for gawk... gawk
checking whether make sets ${MAKE}... yes
checking whether to enable maintainer-specific portions of Makefiles... no
checking for gcc3... no
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for g++... g++
checking for supported compiler version... checking for style of include used by make... GNU
checking for C++ compiler default output... a.out
checking whether the C++ compiler works... yes
checking whether we are cross compiling... no
checking for suffix of executables...
checking for suffix of object files... o
checking whether we are using the GNU C++ compiler... yes
checking whether g++ accepts -g... yes
checking dependency style of g++... gcc3
yes
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether we are using the GNU C compiler... yes
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking dependency style of gcc... gcc3
checking whether we are using the GNU C++ compiler... (cached) yes
checking whether g++ accepts -g... (cached) yes
checking dependency style of g++... (cached) gcc3
checking how to run the C preprocessor... gcc -E
checking for gcc option to accept ANSI C... none needed
checking for an ANSI C-conforming const... yes
checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
checking whether ln -s works... yes
checking whether make sets ${MAKE}... (cached) yes
checking for ld used by GCC... /usr/bin/ld
checking if the linker (/usr/bin/ld) is GNU ld... yes
checking for /usr/bin/ld option to reload object files... -r
checking for BSD-compatible nm... /usr/bin/nm -B
checking how to recognise dependant libraries... pass_all
checking command to parse /usr/bin/nm -B output... ok
checking for ANSI C header files... yes
checking for sys/types.h... yes
checking for sys/stat.h... yes
checking for stdlib.h... yes
checking for string.h... yes
checking for memory.h... yes
checking for strings.h... yes
checking for inttypes.h... yes
checking for stdint.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... yes
checking dlfcn.h usability... yes
checking dlfcn.h presence... yes
checking for dlfcn.h... yes
checking for ranlib... ranlib
checking for strip... strip
checking for objdir... .libs
checking for gcc option to produce PIC... -fPIC
checking if gcc PIC flag -fPIC works... yes
checking if gcc static flag -static works... yes
checking if gcc supports -c -o file.o... yes
checking if gcc supports -c -o file.lo... yes
checking if gcc supports -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions... yes
checking whether the linker (/usr/bin/ld) supports shared libraries... yes
checking how to hardcode library paths into programs... immediate
checking whether stripping libraries is possible... yes
checking dynamic linker characteristics... GNU/Linux ld.so
checking if libtool supports shared libraries... yes
checking whether to build shared libraries... yes
checking whether to build static libraries... yes
checking whether -lc should be explicitly linked in... no
creating libtool
checking for supported libc version... yes
checking for X... libraries /usr/X11R6/lib, headers /usr/X11R6/include
checking for IceConnectionNumber in -lICE... yes
checking for libXext... yes
checking for extra includes... no
checking for extra libs... no
checking for libz... -lz
checking for libpng... -lpng -lz -lm
checking for Qt... yes
>> Found version.: 3.0.5
>>> Headers......: /usr/lib/qt-3.0.5/include/
>>>> Libraries...: /usr/lib/qt-3.0.5/lib/
>>>>> Workable...: -*{ YES }*-
checking for Qt MOC... yes
checking if Qt compiles without flags... no
checking for pthread_create in -lpthread... yes
setting Linux pthread compilation options
checking for pcap_open_live in -lpcap... no
configure: error: cannot find pcap_open_live in libpcap. Read the INSTALL file.[root@localhost showeq]# make
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.
[root@localhost showeq]# make install
make: *** No rule to make target `install'. Stop.
[root@localhost showeq]#

high_jeeves
02-28-2003, 12:09 AM
checking for pcap_open_live in -lpcap... no
configure: error: cannot find pcap_open_live in libpcap. Read the INSTALL file.

1) Look at the error.
2) Look at what the error tells you to do.
3) Follow the instructions (you mean, instructions are there for a reason?)

--Jeeves

Poncho
02-28-2003, 10:55 AM
I'll even go a step further....this is from the INSTALL.newbies file. As Jeeves said, take a look at your error then put 2 and 2 together ;)

XFree86-devel
XFree86-libs
autoconf
automake
gcc3
gcc3-c++
libpcap
libstdc++3
libstdc++3-devel
libgcc
zlib
zlib-devel
gd
gd-devel
gdbm
gdbm-devel
pine **for pico
kernel-headers
glibc-devel
cvs
patch
make
m4
libtool
libtool-libs
binutils
libpng
libpng-devel
libjpeg
libjpeg-devel
libmng
libmng-devel
freetype

-Poncho

Trollflamebait
02-28-2003, 02:08 PM
Please ignore the assholes not everyone is a RTFM jerk

libpcap is the package that your red hat install is missing. you should be able to find that package on the install cdroms.. cd # 2 i think

peanutym
02-28-2003, 02:49 PM
Thanks alot as i didnt know what the extra services where.

Thanks for taking the time to explain.

addicted.to.eq
02-28-2003, 03:39 PM
By the power of Cazic-Thule...

I REALLY wish to be a moderator for a month here...

Who on earth gave you the rights to call someone an asshole?

Missing education and good behaviour is the new illness of our
civilization i fear....

Sorry, could not resist to give my 2 cents to this....

Trollflamebait
02-28-2003, 03:49 PM
Guess the question should be where is it stated that I cant call someone an asshole.

Just call it like i see it. If that offends you then please dont read my posts.

I find that too many people here act all high and mighty when someone asks a question. Top 3 answers here are...

1. Use search
2. RTFM
3. move to RRRR please.

I am going to try and change that and provide decent answers to those "dumb questions" that people ask . Everyone was a Noob at one time.

high_jeeves
02-28-2003, 03:52 PM
Yes, and we were all very helpful at one point as well, but got tired of the average intelligence level present on these boards... I wouldnt start passing judgement after being here for a total of 8 hours..

--Jeeves

Iam_Walrus
02-28-2003, 04:21 PM
Using your own ideology, TFB, here's your response:

SEQ will get you banned by SoE. There are good arguments for both sides for the bannable/not bannable issue, but SoE will win according to the golden rule. That being the case, SEQ is now a linux-only application (I don't remember if the win32 movement ever came up with anything, but that was years ago).

Along those lines, Linux is the operating system of choice as it is by no means user friendly - you have to have a basic ability to do something other than push buttons to get SEQ working let alone a working Linux box (well, RH 8.0 makes that statement false...)

That said, the community here has, after closing on four years, become jaded at the constant requests for hand-holding that a post like this appears to be. Looking at he front page, there are linked instructions right at the top to read the FAQ then use search before asking any questions and then a warning that "EXPECT TO BE FLAMED for being too stupid to read." The INSTALL.newbies answers this guy's question along with about 100 other posts from SEARCH.

So although your motives are noble and the "n00bs" will appreciate your help, it is almost counter-productive to keeping SEQ a low priority for SoE to hold everyone's hand. And trust me, if you keep it up for very long, you _WILL_ become just as jaded as some of the linux-luser assholes on these boards.

Your best bet, if you really want to help, is simply post the link to your search result and say absolutely nothing else in your posts.

UncleBen
02-28-2003, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by Poncho
I'll even go a step further....this is from the INSTALL.newbies file. As Jeeves said, take a look at your error then put 2 and 2 together ;)

XFree86-devel
XFree86-libs
autoconf
automake
gcc3
gcc3-c++
libpcap
libstdc++3
libstdc++3-devel
libgcc
zlib
zlib-devel
gd
gd-devel
gdbm
gdbm-devel
pine **for pico
kernel-headers
glibc-devel
cvs
patch
make
m4
libtool
libtool-libs
binutils
libpng
libpng-devel
libjpeg
libjpeg-devel
libmng
libmng-devel
freetype

-Poncho

I highlighted the correct answer for you :)

Ratt
02-28-2003, 05:38 PM
I am going to try and change that and provide decent answers to those "dumb questions" that people ask . Everyone was a Noob at one time.

Walrus pretty much covered it. SEQ is not intended for dumb people. Never has been... hopefully never will be.

That said, some of the flaming/jumping down peoples throats gets a little extreme, and I'm trying to get people to cut back on that. But the bottom line is, if you can't help youself, you are not the intended audience for SEQ, therefore, don't use it.

If you insist on using it, you better be a faster learner on how to help yourself, or have a really thick skin. Or both.

SEQ is NOT a tool for neophytes.

futuro
02-28-2003, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by Ratt

Walrus pretty much covered it. SEQ is not intended for dumb people. Never has been... hopefully never will be.

I'd like to point out that there probably are hundreds of people who have never posted at all, that came to this board for seq information, found it, installed seq, and (up untill monday) were running happily. I was one for about 2 years.

And there might be many more who have looked into seq, and found their technical skills wanting, so didn't persue installing it and went away knowing their limitations.

Then there's the people who don't know how dumb they are. They are the ones who post questions easily answered by rudimentary search. Hopefully they are in the minority.

So look at it this way. Honestly place yourself in one of the first two groups. If you find yourself in the second group, don't join the third, just go away. Then you won't get flamed.
But if you can't help yourself, and post a stupid question, don't complain about getting flamed.... after all YOU WERE WARNED!

It's really just that simple

Pigeon
02-28-2003, 08:36 PM
I like the fact that he said it's a "new" error, instead of an error that's existed since the dawn of time. I mean my god- a search for pcap_open_live yielded 38 results. It probably would have come up with even more if it included the old forums.

For the record, I got SEQ up and running without posted a message on the boards, and never had any problem with it. I like to think 85% of the people who use SEQ did also.

high_jeeves
02-28-2003, 08:48 PM
at the bottom when i type make install. gives the error you see.

You guys missed the best part of the thread... configure failed... he typed 'make'.. that of course didnt work, since configure had failed to generate a Makefile.. but wait, he doesnt stop there... he then types 'make install', which of course fails as well... too funny..

--Jeeves

mantra71
03-03-2003, 04:13 AM
You could, instead of constantly calling everyone an idiot maybe consider the fact that the forum isnt perfect.

Since the people keeps asking the same questions then maybe some information isnt obvious enough.

Heck sticky a top 10 questions in every formum, + maybe current status of showeq and youll get rid of 50% of the questions.

Also I think calling the topic for it something else then 'READ HERE OR DIE'. Might help.

--Added---
Maybe also add a cookie so you cant post as new user unless you read the FAQ for the forum you trying to post in.

who_me_use_seq
03-03-2003, 09:20 AM
Yeah, yeah ...I am pretty sure that must be it.

How stupid of me not to have seen it before.

People keep posting questions so stupid that it makes you wonder how they ever found the power switch on their fucking computer, so it must be the board's fault.

It is so clear now. If we just change the organization of the forum and and add a sticky here and there intelligence will blossom forth in their heretofore empty craniums, and we will experience the insight and erudition of which they are truely capable.

Trollflamebait
03-03-2003, 09:30 AM
The whole attitude that I am smarter than you are because I understand teh linux and you dont is the whole problem with this forum.

Help people or ignore them but dont toast them with flames. Actions like that help propagate the idea that people that use linux think of themselves as elitests.

Iam_Walrus
03-03-2003, 01:39 PM
Well, coming from a Microsoft fan that has had to work in a near total Linux environment for the past four years, I've come to the conclusion that yes, Linux lusers do have an elitist attitude. To be honest, although it's repugnant, it's also semi-deserved.

Until the last two years or so, the major distros of Linux were nowhere, and I mean nowhere near user friendly. You had to possess a brain slightly larger than a ripe plum to get anything going outside of the "bit three" distros (RH, Debian, Mandrake). Even then, I would constantly have a bitch of a time getting DHCP to work on my SEQ box. I don't know why, it would just kill me. I ended up having my router feed a static IP to it because DHCP was killing me.

In windows, you're like one right-click and three left-clicks away from DHCP at any time. One drawback to windows DHCP - you have to know the difference between right and left clicking...

I'm no Linux god. I have learned enough to get by at my job. I have this monstrous desktop machine sitting here next to me that I don't run X on and only connect to through my windows machine with PuTTY (man I love this terminal app!). I can now get most distros of linux set up and running what I need (Gentoo is next!), but you're not going to see me doing anything fancy. I don't develop, I can write only the most basic PERL scripts, and I don't know squat about most of the issues that devs have to deal with like memory leaks, debugging symbols and other mystical phrases.

I do know SCMs, but those issues rarely come up here.

I tried asking questions prefacing my lack of knowledge, but got burned so I've gone back to learning through lurking. Yes, there are a lot of elitists in this type of community, but consider this:

Who are you asking for help?

These people don't owe you anything. They do this of their own free will, giving their own free time to this project. What right does anyone have to make demands of their behavior?

I say again, the main page instructs you to read the FAQ then use the SEARCH button. This is right up at the top of the page. This welcome message then tells you EXACTLY what will happen to you when you fail to do these two very simple tasks. They really don't take much time.

My very last suggestion to anyone complaining about being fried, and this is coming from a fellow burn victim, is search a LOT. If you still can't find anything, format your post like this:

Subject: Problem with <foo>, search terms that failed included
<problem statement>
And here's what I tried for search terms that didn't seem to help out:
<list>

One last thing. When you get search result lists, read _EVERY_ post in each resultant thread. Yes, this can be time consuming, but for your time you will get lots of information and NO FLAMES.

Cheers and happy searching!

Poncho
03-03-2003, 02:02 PM
Hey Troll,

Maybe I read this all wrong, but after his question was posted, both Jeeves and myself made responses. Are we the "Assholes" you were referring too?

Maybe I can explain:

Jeeves's post "taught" him how to read the error. Not only that, but because of this, he will know how to read future errors.

My post showed him exactly where to look in the provided documentation to see what he may have missed given his (or future) error.

....and we are the Assholes....

GET LOST TROLL!

-Poncho

Lyroschen
03-03-2003, 02:15 PM
http://seq.sourceforge.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2893