PDA

View Full Version : whats UR religious belief

board Lizard
03-11-2003, 01:11 PM
ever1 has one. so what is you'res? think of this as a point/counter-point thread and try and be civil.

lane
03-11-2003, 01:16 PM
Oh my... I can't belive this even started... I thought the post on iraq was long.... :(

-Lane

Yueh
03-11-2003, 01:19 PM
Let's start another thread on abortion and go for a perfect trifecta :)

Manaweaver
03-11-2003, 01:31 PM
Atheism... at least for now. I haven't found out what I truely believe in yet, as I'm still exploring my career...and other aspects of my life... Religion never really was important to me. I don't believe in a god(s)... so no, I'm not agnostic.

Cryonic
03-11-2003, 02:02 PM
You are all infidels and should be slaughtered like the lambs you are :)

Geez, this question is like the VI vs Emacs questions, choose for yourself and leave it at that.

---------------------------------------------------------
Opinions are like Assholes. Everyone has one and you can't change it.

Yueh
03-11-2003, 02:09 PM
Ahhh, but that, too, is a religious perspective in and of itself isn't it ;)

S_B_R
03-11-2003, 02:15 PM
7/8 Atheist + 1/8 Agnostic

I know it's kind of a half-assed answer but that's the best way I can describe my belief or lack there of.

Loco
03-11-2003, 03:21 PM
I think the apostle Paul said it best, there is only one commandment: Dont be a dick!

semgin
03-11-2003, 04:17 PM
I believe in the master race....

Blondes with Huge tits and a tight ass thong. Amen

fgay trader
03-12-2003, 09:50 AM
I believe in not believing.

Oh, and I always lie :p

evalsegaw
03-12-2003, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by board Lizard
ever1 has one. so what is you'res? think of this as a point/counter-point thread and try and be civil.

My religious beliefs tell me to hunt down and maim anyone who can't take the time to spell out "you're" or "everyone".

Honestly though, my religious belief is something I keep to myself. Smart people know that there are two things you just shouldn't talk about, and that's politics and religion. Well, if you want to keep things civil, that is.

Iam_Walrus
03-12-2003, 07:32 PM
Have to amend you wageslave, because you also don't talk about the size of a woman's ass - especially when she solicits your opinion.

Aurelius
03-12-2003, 07:55 PM
It all depends on the weather outside my plane . . .

whome
03-13-2003, 03:59 PM
fools! Tunare is the only real god!!

;o)

SeqTester
03-13-2003, 05:25 PM
The many faces of GOD.
Well if you think “Your Religion” is the right one and everyone else goes to “Hell” or wherever nonbelievers go then you have serious issues.

I was raised Catholic (Fathers side) so I will use that as an example of my theory, change the religion/numbers(all made up anyways) to suite your beliefs.

Here it goes……

In my bible it pretty much says “Don’t sin(Ok haha) or confess your sins to a priest(more like it)” and you will “Go to Heaven”. Ok so all the Jewish, Muslim, Wiccan, Indians, …etc… are going to “HELL” then since EVERYONE will sin at least once and they can not “Confess” them.

Ok, so “My” god says YOU go to hell. Does that sound fair being most of the people in the world are not “One” religion. So in my religion most of the planet is going to hell.

Here is my opinion…..”Think Marketing”

God shows him self to people in different ways, kind of how people from different areas of the world look different. When God 1st showed his face/faces how would he chose where to go? If he starts in Israel, how do the early Native Americans find out about it? Or what about Africa? Did you know the Voodoo gods map over to the Catholic saints? Same attributes different names/faces.

Well I could go on forever on this, I even out talked a “Born Again” that assaulted me with his beliefs while I was leaving the police station. Hehe.. I don’t even think he realized what was in case in my hand with HK molded into it. :)

Ataal
03-17-2003, 04:11 PM
Atheist, with an open mind.

I was raised in Roy, Utah. So, yes I was raised mormon. The extent of my church-going was having our cub scout meetings in the church.

It just never made any sense to me.

RavenCT
03-17-2003, 06:51 PM
If an Atheist marries an Agnostic, what religion do they not raise there cxhildren in? :D

Lyroschen
03-17-2003, 10:51 PM
I agree that religion is a personal thing, and that folks have to make up their own mind. I've seen and felt enough in my life to believe there is more than just us. But, I doubt any "organized" religion has nailed it down properly.

Religion used to explain away things we couldn't explain. Oh, that big ball of fire in the sky? That's the flaming chariot of a god. Eventually, it became a way to control people. It set up rules of what was bad, and what was good. Most of it makes sense. Killing, stealing, etc is bad. Such rules don't carry much weight if there's not a punishment. So, Hell is the popular idea for punishing "sinners". The state also has rules, which determine what we can and can't do within our community. Many of these rules are along the same lines as religion, which makes sense. Religion used to struggle with the kings in midieval times for control over the peasants (and the taxes). The single richest entity in the world is still the Vatican, or it's at least close. The power of such control is incredible.

So, my opinion tends to be against organized religion. I have my own relationship with God, and belive myself to be a good person, and that's enough for me.

lildr00d
03-18-2003, 03:12 AM
Just in case you are wondering. There is a test for this.. ROFL

http://selectsmart.com/RELIGION/

--------------------------
However not related to SEQ or even EQ.

Fret not for I shall not judge you on your score.

coolzero16
03-18-2003, 10:03 PM
You have killed all the mobs in Temple of Ssra with one area affect spell

[You have looted a flame suit.]

whatever religion or lack of religion anyone choses, i hope they are completely happy with their decision. i would hate to be wrong and find out that ill be spending an eternity in hell just becuz i didnt take 5 minutes out of the hopefully 60-70 years of my life to decide if i believed there was a god

also i dont think christians were meant to look at all the other religions and have the thought of "YOUR GOING TO HELL" in the back of their mind(although MANY do). it says a a bajillion times in the bible (if you chose to accept that as reasonable evidence) that humans were not set on earth to judge other humans. for example i cant stand it when those stupid religious channels preach against cathololics and i cant stand it when catholics preach against gays and lesbians, (im not gay) its so friggen hypocritical plus if a christian really believes that there is a heaven and a hell and that only christians are going to heaven then they oughta be focusing their energy on NON christians dont ya think?

it seems to me anways that when i look hard enough and take the time to think about it, everything points me towards God, which is why I chose to be born again. i do understand however that not everyone has had squeay clean parents with many opportunities in life and no major events that has caused me depression or some other clinical illness that would make it hard for me to understand the idea that there really is someone out there who cares enough about me to sacrafice His only Son

flamer #1 hits you for 200 points
flamer #2 hits you for 100 points
flamer #3 hits your for 500 points

RUN TO ZONE!!!

Edit: HAHA that religious test told me i was mormon

S_B_R
03-19-2003, 08:25 AM
You know the interesting thing is I knew you were Born Again after reading your very first paragraph.

One other thing, I've never been depressed or clinically ill, so I guess that must be why I've never had a need for "someone out there who cares enough about me to sacrafice His only Son"

Chuin
03-19-2003, 12:27 PM
I have to say I agree with Lyroschen's views and feel the same about my relationship with god.

I treat people fairly and I don't judge them on their decissions about their religion or their sexual orientation. People have the right to choose for themselfs what trails the wish to follow that will lead them to the promissed land.

Will I go to heaven or hell? Who knows, the pope or the child molester neither know for sure where they will go after death. All that I hope for is that because I am a kind and giving person, I will find myself in some place like here.

SIDENOTE: Why do people seek a better place? Imagine a better place where everything is at your fingertips and you never have to deal with the struggles of day to day life we live here. Is that really a better place? I happen to love this place I am in now. I love many people and some I less then love. I struggle daily to survive in life, love and work. Without the struggle, I feel that there is no need to live.

What are you thoughts about the afterlife?

Please excuse any/all spelling errors. I am rushed and not a good speller anyway..lol

Qwan

S_B_R
03-19-2003, 02:13 PM
/agree Chuin

My sentiments EXACTLY :)

S_B_R
03-19-2003, 02:23 PM
Food for Thought:
Is a person truly righteous if they lead a righteous life to avoid retribution in the afterlife?

SeqTester
03-19-2003, 04:45 PM
S_B_R >>No, that makes you a part of the flock of other Sheeple that need to be "Guided" on your path.

Kind of like Radical Islamic Militants that are guided blindly into Jihad for reasons they don’t even know. If they would actually read to Qaran(sp) they would know Islam is about peace, not murder in the name of god.

Blind Faith is a bad thing, we where given or evolved free will for a reason.

And being my 1st post did not really answer the question at hand….

This is very brief and barely sums up what is countless days of conversations.

I believe we are all part of a larger organism that at one time was just a thought and split itself into an uncountable number of pieces (Big Bang) and is now everything still. Like watching countless numbers of TV at one time and comprehending what is going on in all of them. So in my opinion when Everything starts Expanding and goes back into one big Organism/Entity there will be a load “WOW that rocked, lets do it again” and BANG… round 2 (or maybe round 1Million).

Just my 2cp

coolzero16
03-19-2003, 04:58 PM
Is a person truly righteous if they lead a righteous life to avoid retribution in the afterlife?

i feel most sorry for people who go through life trying to do things that this quote says to do to get to heaven. many people even go to church and lead a life trying to do things well to please god. but its just not enough. only way to get to heaven is to ACCEPT that you are not perfect and therefore need christ as a savior. and after that you try to do good things BECAUSE YOU ARE ALREADY going to heaven...not because you are trying to get there.

SeqTester
03-19-2003, 05:21 PM
and here is what http://selectsmart.com/RELIGION/ said I was, but in realiity I think the Scientology part should be removed, and all Scientologist SHOT!!

Your Results:

1. Neo-Pagan (100%) Click here for info
2. Unitarian Universalism (82%) Click here for info
3. Mahayana Buddhism (78%) Click here for info
4. New Age (64%) Click here for info
5. Theravada Buddhism (63%) Click here for info
6. Hinduism (62%) Click here for info
7. Jainism (60%) Click here for info
8. Liberal Quakers (60%) Click here for info
9. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (59%) Click here for info
10. Nontheist (56%) Click here for info
11. Taoism (54%) Click here for info
12. New Thought (51%) Click here for info
13. Bahá'í Faith (48%) Click here for info
14. Reform Judaism (48%) Click here for info
15. Secular Humanism (48%) Click here for info
16. Mainline to Conservative Christian/Protestant (43%) Click here for info
17. Orthodox Judaism (42%) Click here for info
18. Orthodox Quaker (41%) Click here for info
19. Scientology (36%) Click here for info
20. Sikhism (35%) Click here for info
21. Islam (35%) Click here for info
22. Christian Science (Church of Christ, Scientist) (34%) Click here for info
23. Seventh Day Adventist (32%) Click here for info
24. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (25%) Click here for info
25. Eastern Orthodox (23%) Click here for info
26. Roman Catholic (23%) Click here for info
27. Jehovah's Witness (0%) Click here for info

Leetlewon
03-20-2003, 12:18 AM
If I treat religion just like everything else I've encountered in life, I have to pretty much dismiss it as a bunch of propaganda.

General observation has shown me that people who have strong religious beliefs are not usually intelligent. Those that are both religious and intelligent are usually mentally and/or emotionally unstable.

My father is a minister, so I was raised going through all sorts of religous training. I had to attend both church and sunday school on sundays, and go to youth groups on weekdays, and church camp in the summer. We read the Bible over and over and over. From a very young age I realized it was all just another crutch that society uses to achive certain goals.

The more advanced society gets, the less it needs the church, because things like feeding the poor, providing laws and regulations, and creating meeting places and organized groups, conducting ceremonies and counseling are all taken care of by other entities within society.

But even if the church is not really needed for some of these things, it continues to exist because of one thing: the fear of death. Fear of death has been the driving force behind religion since the first human social structures existed. It is a powerful thing, and can get more powerful the older you get. Since everyone gets older every day, this fear will never diminish.

I have never let fear get the best of me. Any time I've been afraid, I've pushed myself to face my fear. I can't say that I have no fear of death, but I do know that I am not going to pretend to myself and others that I believe there is some kind of Almighty God out there who will take me up into his arms when I die just so I can stop fearing death.

S_B_R
03-20-2003, 08:42 AM
Well said Leetlewon.

EnvyEyes
04-17-2003, 12:45 PM
I have been told I am a agnostic dyslexic insomniac .....

I stay up all night pondering DOG.

Lyroschen
04-17-2003, 01:19 PM
Not everyone who follows a religion necessarily believes in every facet of it. And the efforts and purposes of the church are not necessarily reflected in their members. (ie. just because the church whishes to give relief from the 'fear of death' doesn't mean that's what the members are gaining or seek to gain from the church).

Believe it or not, church is still one of the best places to meet decent good-hearted people. There are scum bags in church as well, but the ratio of decent folk to scum bag is much better than in society at large.

Most folks with any kind of decency recognize the need for compassion, consideration, and cooperation in a society. Most churches preach such things, and as such, you gain a sense of "right" about the sermons. Does that mean I have to believe that anyone knows what's waiting in the "afterlife"? It's not possible for anyone to know.

Like it's not possible to travel backwards in time. If it were, then it would have already happened. No one knows what happens after death. Many folks have promised to "unravel the mystery" after their death, if it was at all possible. It's not.

I don't go to church, these days, mostly 'cause I've not made the time. I don't give the church control over my day-to-day actions, and I don't follow blindly that which is laid before me. But, I do like the kind of people the church tries to create (minus the 'and give us your money' part).

And EnvyEyes, there is no Dog!

futuro
04-17-2003, 08:25 PM
Bottom line time.

I'll ask any theist here one big question.

If there wasn't a god, would anything be different?

S_B_R
04-18-2003, 07:34 AM
Yes, far less war and death.....

Zeppo
04-18-2003, 11:07 PM
My religious belief is that people that can't take the time to spell out words properly should
be slowly chopped up into little pieces and left in the corner to rot.

futuro
04-18-2003, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by S_B_R
Yes, far less war and death.....

Yes, well, other than that :D