PDA

View Full Version : Post-PoP dialup setup

Ataal
03-18-2003, 07:09 PM
I have been using DSL for about 2 years and have just moved to an area where high speed is not accessible. I searched for "dialup" "ics" etc... but everything I found was pre-PoP.

Since, as I understand it, now that the key is read from memory on the EQ box and with the help of a keysniffer program gets sent specifically to the SEQ box via a UDP port, there is now no need for udpecho for a Winxp->ICS->hub->SEQ setup correct?

My setup will be as follows:

Winxp using ICS, ICS gives SEQ box an IP. Both on a 5port Dlink hub. SEQ box uses IP given by ISP to EQ box as gateway(for internet access).

Theoretically, this should work. Does anyone have a similar setup? Any tricks in getting it to work that I should know about.

P.S. I really did search, I found no post-PoP threads, so please keep the flames down.

high_jeeves
03-18-2003, 07:53 PM
Uhh.. SEQ still needs to sniff the datastream...

--Jeeves

BlueAdept
03-18-2003, 08:08 PM
That will not work. The reason is that the EQ packets do not go past your windows box in that set up.

If you put the modem in your linux machine, that will work. Otherwise your pretty much SOL.

cryptorad
03-18-2003, 08:13 PM
You need to get both boxes on the data stream.

Hopefully you can find and purchase a cheap dial-up router that supports dial on demand and IP assignment. I know of a more expensive older one that can perform this function, Cisco 1005. It will require an external modem for this model of router and the particular version of the 1005 that had a regular serial connection instead of the WAN serial connection. Or.. you can get the common 1005 and a DB60 to DB25 (RS232) cable and connect that to your modem.

Here's a diagram: http://www.safety.net/inddn.html

You plug the Ethernet interface of the dial up router into a hub. Configure your two boxes on the same subnet as the Ethernet interface of the router and plug them into the hub. Your main box (EQ box) uses your ethernet connection for all IP traffic and the Cisco router as your gateway. The router will 'dial up' on demand and connect to the ISP. The SEQ boxes just sits there and sniffs. The SEQ box won't use any bandwidth of the dial up.. so you should be as effective as possible there.

Make sure your dial up ISP supports a connection protocol that your router of choice can use. IE.. PPTP, PPP, SLIP.. etc.

Alternatively you can configure a box to be all those things.. DHCP box, router, dial up connection.. etc. I have done a box like that once. I recommend the hardware solution above over the box but the choice is really $ driven.

Good luck

Ataal
03-18-2003, 09:52 PM
Ok, I feel like an idiot. I'll probably just wait until I move again, which will be soon. Thanks for the info all, I really appreciate it. Y'all kick ass.

fester
03-19-2003, 08:15 AM
Get a SMC Barricade (http://www.smc.com/index.cfm?sec=Products&pg=Product-Details&prod=67&site=c) and set it up as a dialup server. Then get a hub and plug seq, windows, and the barricade.

fryfrog
03-19-2003, 11:10 PM
nice router, fail-over dial up (or perm dial up) AND broadband, sounds like a good device to have if you ever expect to upgrade to broadband or may need to dial out instead of broadband.