PDA

View Full Version : setup

helstar
03-23-2003, 05:06 PM
ok well i have been working on this for over 2 months now trying to get this to work and reading.

this is my setup.
useing 2pcs. one is running winme and the othere is running winme on part of the hardrive and has linux installed on the other half. really new to linux but herd it a very good os.

my linux os is 8.0

both machines are useing a linksys 5 port hub
first pc is running eq and a dialup (aol) and the 2 pc is running the linux.

my network is useing the dhcp, windows networking config.

both machines are able to use the internet. now me beeing new to linux i still haveing figured out how to look at my files on my win machin. but like i said iam able use the internet on my linux and my winme machine via useing aol dialup adapter. so that part is working.

i bouhgt the guide from ding showeq set up and so far it is a very good guide. now im doing the first part of setting up the showeq,downloading the files.

from what i understand is that the first step i need to type.

"wget ftp://ftp.rpmfind.net/linux/redhat/8.0/en/os/i386/RedHat/RPMS/libpcap-0.6.2.16.i386.rpm"

is the first command that i need to download
it runs ,does its checks, and then i get a big fat error, INVAILD PORT.

at first i thought maybe my winmachine is blocking me from downloading on the linux machine but. i have done my automatic updates for 8.0 and it downloaded fine. now like i said ealier, im very new to this OS so finding files and trying to understand it im confussed.

i have went to the next step in the guide my downloading . i did the next setp.

cd /usr/lib
wget ftp://smurfette.trifocus.net/pub/libeq/i386/linux/libEQ.a

and it worked and found the port.

so i did the next step.
cd /
mkdir /seq

now i get an error after that step (mkdir:connot create directory '/seq': file exists

so i think i understand that so i go to the next step

cd /seq
export CVSROOT=:pserver:[email protected] :/cvsroot/seq

then

cvs login

cvs checkout showeq

and then it starts downloading the showeq files

helstar
03-23-2003, 05:26 PM
i just wanted to say that i do understand the showeq is not working with everquest as of now . but i want to be ready when it does work.

also wanted to say after it downloading all the show files i went to next step.

cvs logout
cd showea
make -f Makefile.dist

i get and error after that(make: make:no such file or directory make: *** no rule to make target 'make". stop.

after all that i get errors in any of the rest of the steps

Cryonic
03-23-2003, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by helstar

my linux os is 8.0

Linux is only up to 2.4.20 for stable, so I'm guessing that this is your distro number (but it is Mandrake, Redhat, Suse, or Slackware).

both machines are useing a linksys 5 port hub
As is stated several times in the FAQ and elsewhere on this site, Linksys hubs are 99.999% of the time really switches and don't (in general) work with SEQ.

first pc is running eq and a dialup (aol) and the 2 pc is running the linux.
AOL doesn't work from under linux, so this setup will not work for you since the EQ machine has no reason to forward EQ packets onto your network.

i bouhgt the guide from ding showeq set up and so far it is a very good guide. now im doing the first part of setting up the showeq,downloading the files.

You wasted your money buying a SEQ guide as all the information is here for free.

As for everything else, read the Install file that came with SEQ and the FAQ on the main page.

helstar
03-23-2003, 06:07 PM
well first i have been reading alot of peeps useing linux 8.0. maybe i miss that part of it not working.

now i have a linksys 5port workgroup hub. i just got off the phone with there tech support and they ensured me that its not a switch. its a true hub.

now u are telling me that i have to run mylinux first or inconjunction with my dialup then use my eqbox.

well is there a read me somewhere that gives the list of stuff need to do the set up or at least a setup guide that does work because if u do a search there is only one step guide.

BlueAdept
03-23-2003, 07:09 PM
You need to do a lot more reading it looks like.

First off, you cant use AOL. I dont even know if ICS works with AOL. If you get a real ISP, you will either need a router that would dial the internet or a modem that works in linux.

You are probably using Redhat 8.0. There are plenty of guides here on how to set up RH 8.0. You also should get familiar with the ins and outs of linux. My suggestion is to go to www.linuxdoc.org (http://www.linuxdoc.org). It is an excelent source of guides on setting up linux and for using it.

You will probably also need a real hub. Most linksys hubs are switching hubs and probably wont work.

You also should read the FAQ (http://www.macsrule.com/~seqfaq/seq-faq.html).