PDA

View Full Version : OT - PhPNuke - PostNuke - vbPortal

SlowNLazy
03-24-2003, 04:21 PM
Thought I'd start a different conversation. Looking for comparisions, comments, praises, & gripes for the 3 packages in the subject. Hell, I'll even take suggestions of packages that I didnt list.

So far, I'm liking PHPNuke, especially with the security fixes in place... Remains to be seen how tight 6.5 is but I've got a week or two before I start my personal project.

Thoughts?

Ratt
03-25-2003, 12:10 AM
Depends on what ya want to do really. I plan on moving SEQ to vbPortal at some point... just gotta get around to it.

KaL
03-25-2003, 11:16 AM
I've installed and used PHPNuke, but I had one huge problem with it. The integrated forums suck, BAD.

They have "conversions" that allow you to use other forums, and I've used a phpbb2 conversion, but it cripples you for updates.

This is because I wanted to integrate the download section with the front page, the news, and the forums.

If I had to do it over, I'm not sure what I'd do... I'm not happy with any combination that I've seen so far, but haven't done any new research in months.

Vbulletin was fairly easy to write a front page for that reads a News forum to make your front page (ie, Vbportal), but I still don't know what to use for a download app. The PHPnuke download thing kinda sucks. The sections are clumsy, and the presentation is ugly and inflexible.

Vbulletin + Vbportal or a custom front page are very nice.. but leaves you missing some of that front page functionality you might want after using PHPnuke, etc.

SlowNLazy
03-25-2003, 01:11 PM
Hmm... guess the saving grace is that its all opensource so I can mod how I see fit... Any thoughts on PostNuke?

and thanks for your feedback so far.

SlowNLazy
03-28-2003, 10:47 AM
Not sure how I found it, but I stumbled over Invisionboard.com

Looks clean, looks mature.... Any thoughts before I invest time into it's code?

Thanks

Quikstraw
03-28-2003, 01:32 PM
Post Nuke is like PHPNuke, with better permissions and security. PostNuke is rather nice, with the exception that handling forums is a bit more difficult. It is probably easier to just make a link to a seperate forum from PostNuke.

junk
04-06-2003, 11:13 PM
I agree that PostNuke is nice. The module API is also easy to understand, so if you can't find a module for what you want to do, coding it isn't much of a problem (all PHP and MySQL).

GregChant
04-07-2003, 10:55 AM
I use PostNuke with the PNPhpBB module ( www.gregchant.com ).. it basically integrates the phpbb forum system into the PostNuke sytem, which is nice.

The only problems I have with PostNuke is that its somewhat slower than other systems I've used (geeklog, phpnuke), and there is little to no documentation available for modifying it. Other than that, it's a nice system which gets the job done well.

Quikstraw
04-07-2003, 08:47 PM
On a superficial level, you can modify postnuke the same way you would modify phpnuke. However, the nicest feature of postnuke is that you can create various files for a given module that correspond to user privileges, like admin.php, user.php, etc.

Or you can just create one file index.php that everyone would access regardless of their user group (just like in phpnuke).