PDA

View Full Version : Show Faction on Map?

Wishbringer
04-10-2003, 05:13 AM
Infos of ALL mobs in zone are send to EQclient.
NEARLY all infos per mob are the same for all Players in that zone, regardless what lvl, class, race Player is:
Lvl, race, class, lightsource, wielding item etc...
Only one info is different for each Player: FACTION...

So my question is: Is this info sent too whole time to client for ALL mobs? Or is it sent only per request by conning a mob?

If send generally, then it could be shown on map too, perhaps by flashing, or by border (circle) around mob.

So you can see while sneaking around what mob can see invis, what mobs to avoid while passing a zone etc...

Posted this here in dev forum.. i know SEQ is broken at moment for awile.
Could post it in genereal forum in MySEQ thread too, but why..

Question is easy, is it possible to get that info (where in spawninfo stored)? and perhaps to implement it in source?

SargonVI
04-10-2003, 07:25 AM
The general consensus is that "Faction" is only sent when you con a mob. That is only a number from 1 - 9 pertaining to how that mob feels about you. The client does not even know what faction that mob is on or why it is feeling a particular way about you.

I am not sure on the see invis aspect, would have to do a search and read to find out if any information for see invis is even sent. If it is spell based it would only be sent if you were close enough to the mob to see the spell otherwise the client does not get told what spells a mob has cast or what buffs they have.

-Sar

h3x
04-10-2003, 10:28 AM
you could however design it to watch for a type of invis spell cast/fade and sorta like fade out which mobs can/cannot see you with that type of buff.

ie:
skin tingles = ivu
mob type = undead
undead = cant see ivu
other mob types = fade 50%
ivu = fades
mobs all @ 100% color value.

this will still give you gps, npcs around and where, and also give an indication of what would be a safe path to take when using either ivu or reg invis...

yet this is a "pretty me up" thing and not a "get it working now" idea concept...

gezs
04-11-2003, 10:35 AM
I believe wishbringer was meaning that if a mob caan see invis it will not con indifferent and therefore could be labled. Problem is that your faction standing, scowls, threatening, ect.. is only sent when you con a mob from what I gather. Its a nice idea but I do not believe its practicle.

You might do a personal mod that would change the color of the mob to grey or something if when you con it its indifferent. Its not what you asked for but it is a way of marking see invis mobs that you find atleast while you are in that zone.

Lyroschen
04-11-2003, 01:03 PM
Another option could be to maintain a filter list of sorts for every zone, listing mobs that can or can't see invis. If you cast invisibility on yourself, then such mobs can be flagged to indicate they shouldn't be able to see you. Mobs that can see invis would remain unflagged. If your invis wears off, the mobs will all unflag. This would help you notice that your invis dropped while you're fixed on the SEQ screen, as well.

One potential difficulty for this would be establishing a list of which mobs can and can't see invis. Particularly in zones where some mobs with a particular name can see invis, and others with the same name cannot - for example drachnids in FV. 'course I don't know if that's a level issue, or if they actually cast a spell on themselves allowing them to see invis.

At any rate, if it can be accomplished, this is the best solution I can think of to get the effect Wishbringer wanted, since faction info isn't sent to the client until a mob is con'd.

fryfrog
04-12-2003, 08:34 PM
not a horrible idea, probably fairly easy to implement but gathering reliable data would be by far the hardest part i would guess. perhaps it could be dynamic, if the program saw you cast invis on yourself it would go into "invis" mode, and then as you con things it would fade their color if they were indifferent and brighten them if they were not. this list could be client side only (no attempt to distribute it) so as you move around and goto different zones it would update on its own. it wouldn't be something to totally depend on, but it could help :)

Wishbringer
04-13-2003, 04:15 AM
Other aspect, but far away. Because SEQ and MQ are two separate projects (or SEQ isn't still a client - server app):

Analyse data what mob is in range xxx, target mob, con mob, store data... so you have mobs in range around you highlighted what could aggro...

Downside: If data are requested from server each time this happens, SOE could implement a detection routine.

ether
04-13-2003, 11:09 AM
"Cons" are definitely server side (or were last I played).