PDA

View Full Version : My uber-cheezy show-eq

codepig666
04-15-2003, 11:31 PM
I wanted to learn perl for a long time, so I thought that this would be a cool way to try.
The sniffer is in C and updates the built-in maps as well as sending the data to the client. But the client is my first Perl/Tk app ever. Its way-cheezy, but I thought it would be fun to post screenshots in the hopes that other folks would post shots of what their versions look like.

Names have been blurred to protect...uh...me.

http://www.geocities.com/codepig666/ss1.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/codepig666/ss2.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/codepig666/ss3.jpg

<edit>
did these 3 pics show up? I wasn't sure how to post a pic =(.
</edit>

<edit2>
While I spend the next 9 hours using the "search" button to figure out how to post a pic, try this link instead:

http://www.geocities.com/codepig666/one.html

</edit2>

cavemanbob
04-15-2003, 11:39 PM
Pics don't work man :)

Amadeus
04-16-2003, 12:31 AM
holy shit dude.... Nice screenshots :) .....wtb source

...I like both the ideas...putting info on the maps in game..and a Linux SEQ alternative would be GREAT

codepig666
04-16-2003, 12:41 AM
I didn't post source cause CaveManBob's sounds like it is a ga-zillion times more advanced.

And the source is embarassingly bad since it's my first perl program ever.

But the sexy thing about perl is that it runs anywhere. I have run it on both xp and linux and its the same =)

cavemanbob
04-16-2003, 02:07 AM
Looks cool, especially because it's written in perl :)

Catt
04-16-2003, 05:12 AM
On the in-game map! I like it!

Dude!

Sweet!

Code please? (no plaza (PLZ) here)

Dedpoet
04-16-2003, 07:46 AM
Geocities doesn't allow remote linking so you can't show the pics directly, but if you view the properties of the pics and paste them into your browser it will work.

Nice work, codepig.

who_me_use_seq
04-16-2003, 08:06 AM
I liiiiiiiiike it.

Mad propz to Cavemanbob for doing something and working hard at it, but I do not want another winblows box on my desk.

You go man. Don't think that you have to appologize for code that works.

raytrace
04-16-2003, 09:26 AM
Very cool idea of using the in game map.

Question tho, is the in game map a constant update or is it static and only updates with new information when you open the map?

codepig666
04-16-2003, 09:44 AM
The in-game map updates constantly (well, as often as I poll memory and update it anyway...20 times per second).

The bitch of the in-game map is that EQ's map system starts to choke when it formats large number of labels. So you don't want to leave the labels on when you zoom in or out. I usually leave labels off and just point at the skittle (which makes a single label popup anyway).

Azerael
04-16-2003, 12:18 PM
I really like the in game map updates. The only place this wouldn't solve all my personal needs would be in zones where the in game map is disabled, e.g. Ssra, TOV, VT, etc.

Kudo's man, its very sharp.

wfj5444
04-16-2003, 07:25 PM
/yoda Sucks this does not. /yoda

Amadeus
04-16-2003, 08:22 PM
Don't worry about ugly code man, Perl is ugly by default ..hehe

I'd love to see just that EQ cartography ingame stuff, that looks awefully nice and quite unique.

h3x
04-17-2003, 12:25 AM
i'd like to see that source as well, since none of the current formats seem to work in ME environment

fryfrog
04-18-2003, 06:26 AM
until they fix it... when you are in a zone that blocks maps, just do a /load skinname 1 and hit the backspace key. dumbasses i spose, maybe they will fix it. works in tov for sure, i know.

showeqgratefull
04-18-2003, 07:56 AM
codepig666,

this looks nice, can you post the perl script or the code, so i can try it out

Showeqgratefull

Azerael
04-18-2003, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by fryfrog
until they fix it... when you are in a zone that blocks maps, just do a /load skinname 1 and hit the backspace key. dumbasses i spose, maybe they will fix it. works in tov for sure, i know.

I thought they 'fixed' that in the 4/8 patch. This is the bit from the Interface section of said patch.

Interface

Fixed the Map window to remove a method of avoiding the map restrictions in certain zones.

I was in TOV recently, but didn't test it there. I don't remember if I tested it in Ssra but I beleive I did and it was no longer functioning.

Aurelius
04-18-2003, 09:34 AM
For the folks having problems with WinME, I went back and downloaded the update for .NET 1.1 and everything works fine now. Well, fine is relative as I load up, it shows me when the map first starts but then the circle and direction line just stay put. I can see my self as a dot moving around but that is all. (

lullimarka
05-16-2003, 07:11 AM
this is #%$#%# amazing !! the LoY map based feature looks totally outta this world !! its such a shame that codepig doesnt let us all taste some of that stuff =p

excellent work.

Djinii
05-16-2003, 11:39 AM
If you make a version to run the sniffer etc on linux and just update files on eq directory then i'll be stoked. However, at this point just having it all run on windows would keep the hunger at bay :D

Props on the loy interface, looks great. Now share!

Dj

tigerknight
05-18-2003, 06:03 AM
That's a nice bit of manipulation :] How on earth did you get it to work on EQ's in-game map?

And yes, please do share the source :] the best way to improve and move forward is to get more input.

codepig666
05-18-2003, 11:05 AM
The first version (from the pics) doesn't hook inside EQ. Therefore, it cannot allocate new memory. Therefore I had to create 800 pre-defined "points" on each map in order to have space to store the data for spawns.

I'm working on the new version which hooks itself in so that it can mallocate space at will, however there are some strange issues with the generic doubly-linked list class that EQ uses.

I promise that I will release a user-friendly version of this asap.

I am not code-hoarding it. Right now its simply too much work for the user to bother with. More of a proof-of concept than anything else.

Also, since CavemanBob pretty much rocked the house with his sniffer, I was planning on making this an optional plug-in to his suite.

Don't yell at me for being slow. I'm not smart. I'm just determined.

-piggy

lullimarka
05-18-2003, 09:08 PM
/bow codepig

lullimarka
05-30-2003, 12:36 AM
/bump

cmon piggy !! im dying for this =p

i know ur working hard and giving us a LOT of great stuff as we speak but maybe being busy u forgot our little request here, just a reminder, rock on.

lullimarka
06-29-2003, 07:21 AM
shamelessly bumping this thread.

piggy where art thou =(

CitricGuy
07-09-2003, 08:30 PM
Hey, maby if you keep begging and whining the source will post itself! Christ, let the man work on his OWN time.

raksul
07-14-2003, 11:28 PM
Now that's damn creative! /bow Codepig
Can't wait to see what the finished product looks like.

Cheers!

-Raksul