View Full Version : New Test Version #2

cavemanbob
04-18-2003, 02:03 PM
New and hopefully the last test version for a while:

http://alteria.sf.net/myseq-test2a.zip
http://alteria.sf.net/myseqserverc-test2a.zip
http://alteria.sf.net/seq-maps.zip

Client Changes:
* Now takes one big packet for updates instead of lots of little ones.
* Alerts show up in bold on the list
* Listbox mobs show up in their con colors.
* Grab scolling of the map

Server Changes:
* Sends big packets now
* No longer pure C, uses some C++ now

Couple of other bug fixes as well

EDIT: Server recompiled without STLPort buillt in

MrDoh
04-18-2003, 02:16 PM
I've downloaded the client, and the server, and both crash upon execution.

MrDoh
04-18-2003, 02:19 PM
The first server complaint is "failed to start because stlport_vc745.dll was not found"

The first client error is app generated an exception that could not be handled.
I don't have the JIT installed so I don't get a full debug.

I also can't get the server to comple in VC++6, and I can't get the project file for the client to load in SharpDevelop. It actually makes SharpDevelop error when loading it. I was able to import your VS.NET project file in the last test version.

Mr. Doh

cavemanbob
04-18-2003, 02:48 PM
Crap, forgot I had stlport on here. I'll rebuild the server without it, Make sure you copy hand.cur over or it will probably do what you've described.

MrDoh
04-18-2003, 02:52 PM
Ok, will wait for server...

Where do I need to copy the cursor file to??

cavemanbob
04-18-2003, 02:57 PM
Same directory as the client exe

MrDoh
04-18-2003, 03:01 PM
That's where it is...

Tell me where to get the JIT debugger and maybe that will help find the client problem. Do need the full .NET SDK for that?

Mr. Doh

cavemanbob
04-18-2003, 03:09 PM
You probably need something out of the dev .NET SDK if such a thing even exists. If you can, try building the client with debug info and see if it tells you more. The non-stlport server is up as well as version test2a

MrDoh
04-18-2003, 03:13 PM
Server: Failed to start... MSVCP70.dll not found

As for recompiling the client, I will need to find a make file and the command line options for the linker/compiler because I still can't open your projectfile in my IDE.

cavemanbob
04-18-2003, 03:18 PM
A Staticly linked server is now up instead of the old test2a which was dynamically linked. name is the same. I'm not sure what the command line argument is to compile a debug version of a c# program is. csc /? wil dump all of them it should be easy to find. The exact format to compile the client on the command line was stated somewhere in the old thread, I can't recall it offhand though

dsiroky
04-18-2003, 05:07 PM
My client crashes on startup, though the server starts fine.

I'll have to install the vs.net on monday, because I can't run it up in the debugger to work out why it's creating an app crash.

cavemanbob
04-18-2003, 06:25 PM
The only way I've found to cause a crash on startup is if it can't load hand.cur. I'll put a new copy up that has a try, catch around that.

Kizzy
04-18-2003, 07:10 PM
I am only on chapter 12 in my C++ book so alot of the code is still unknown to me. A couple months before I am any help to this project since I will need to migrate to C# after that. Anyway, great job and I appreciate the time your putting in. Time is money and I would like to donate to you Cavemanbob for what you've been doing. Its only fair to donate to you (and the SEQ devs) for something thats free that I use frequently. Open source or not ;)

Anyhow, here is my client error on startup (using 2000). The only thing I get when I run the client is...

-----------------------------------------------------
Myseq.exe - Common Language Runtime Debugging Service

Application has generated an exception that could not be handled.

Process id=0x5c4(1476), Thread id=0x49c(1180).

Click OK to terminate etc..

---------------------------------------------------------

All other versions on this PC were working ok.

oh, I am currently just using the binary supplied. I have MVC++ and the appropriate .net resources installed but doing it the easy way. Still getting out of linux mindset.

Stunning
04-18-2003, 07:15 PM
I get the same error as Kizzy upon start up.

If I can lend any assistance with more information please let me know what I can do for the project.

cavemanbob
04-18-2003, 07:42 PM
If you were previously having trouble with the client immediatly crashing, try this version:
http://alteria.sf.net/myseq-test2a.zip

hand.cur is no longer needed either.

Kizzy
04-18-2003, 07:52 PM
Still have the error I posted in my last post. I am going to compile using the source you provide and try. The error I posted is from the binary and comes up as soon as you run the executable. don't see any of the program, just the error as soon as I click it.

2 things.

1) I tried to run the debugger and at this time would be able to decipher ancient hieroglyphics better then what I just looked at. believe me, however, I am going to learn this (not the hieroglyphic part but the coding) and help you sir. I find all this more interesting a hobby then anything else.. well my 9month old comes first then this then my wife. hehe.

2) when you get a chance can you please contact me via ICQ - 346972789, AIM - KizzyEQ, YahooIM - KizzyEQ, or MSN - [email protected] (kizzy). much appreciated and this is not to look for one on one help for this cause I do know how many people need support and there are only 24 hours in a day but is in regards to something else.

MrDoh
04-18-2003, 08:23 PM
Well, this newest client stoped the crash on startup for me, so I'm gonna go in and test now.

Stunning
04-18-2003, 08:56 PM
Yes no more crash on startup but I can't seem to get it to talk to the server. Will try to re-download the server and make sure I have the right version.

Stunning
04-18-2003, 09:07 PM
Re-downloaded server test2 and can now talk between the server and client. I still however do not get mobs in LoY zones.

Thanks for your hard work it is much appreciated.

cavemanbob
04-18-2003, 09:11 PM
I'm almost done DLing the LoY zones, once I've got them I'll have a look at what's going on in there.

MrDoh
04-18-2003, 09:46 PM
Well, all my particular problems with the locking up, and the LoY problems continue.
It just locked up on me while resizing the main window. It's just odd to me that I can watch the screen for a long time and everything is great, but everytime I touch the mouse button, I run the risk of lockup. It doesnt always happen though. I can click target on the map a little, work in the list even more.
I've found that if I "slowly" (about 2 click per second) use any of the offsets, I get many, many clicks in before any lcokups (and cpu never gets to 100%, but the faster I click, the more likely I am to freeze.

Now that it's client-pull, here should be no more client or incoming data buffer overruns, correct?

That being said, just by watching the program run, you can tell everything is happening more orderly.
The list looks great! Grabbing the map to move it is awesome too!

Mr. Doh

cavemanbob
04-19-2003, 01:28 AM
It's something in the packet decoding I think. I had it stop updating a number of times tonight while I was playing and that was what it appeared to be. I think I might rewrite part of that code tomorrow.

Kizzy
04-19-2003, 01:45 AM
compiled and ran fine. was all well with a few minor things I was noting then it just stopped. rebooted both machines cause I was working on some stuff and ran both with no communication problem or nothing. But it just stopped reading mobs and all. They see eachother but nothing coming into client. My only guess is they changes the offsets so will wait for someone (until I learn how to do that which btw if anyone can point me in the direction to a starting point to learn to do this much appreciated) to post them.

MrDoh
04-19-2003, 01:52 AM
I'm currently using it ok, for the most part, so the offsets are ok. If it's a LoY zone, there is a known problem on those.

Does it show as incoming connection on the server?

Mr. Doh

cavemanbob
04-19-2003, 11:58 AM
I have managed to replicate the client suddenly stopping receiving data suddenly and it appears to be a socket problem. It's a pain to track down though as it happens intermittently for me.